Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: confusion about nuts page

Martini is offline Member

confusion about nuts

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had a feeling that there was a consense these days that nuts should be limited in amount and to macademia nuts because of the high Omega-6 Ratios of the other nuts.

However I read this on Jackkruse page which has a very different view on nuts.
    Woried about O3/O6 ratio?

tarek is offline Senior Member
    It has less to do with their n-3:n-6 ratio and more to do with their digestibility - many of the same anti-nutrients found in grains and legumes are also present in nuts and seeds, sometimes in even larger quantities.

It is best to sprout nuts and seeds before eating, and even then, don't make them the caloric foundation of your diet.

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    My problem with nuts is I can eat and eat and eat and not get full. When I first started paleo about a year ago I packed a small bag of mixed nuts and I kept wanting them more and more. So I don't eat any seeds or nuts.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yup. the main consensus is that nuts are generally too easy to over eat and with that, difficult to digest/utilize, so having too many stymies people's fitness goals.

I limit nuts, myself. I just use them in our paleo no-bake cookies. And that means I'm not getting much at all.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    a few times per month i will use chopped nuts as a garnish on a vegetable side or salad, but that means i consume less than 1 ounce per month.

ever watch a primate crack and eat nuts? it's a very slow, painstaking process. they don't get to buy them shelled in a giant jug from costco.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    I don't necessarily limit them for one specific reason or to any specific amount. But, I treat nuts the same as I treat bacon. It's a flavor (or texture) not a meal. So I don't end up eating it very often. At most a couple spoonfuls in a salad a few times a week. Too many nuts mess with my (weak) digestion (possibly like what tarek mentioned), and while I think the E in fresh, in the shell nuts is probably okay to protect the O6 for most people, it's still not something you want to seek out.

I eat a good Handful of sprouted organic Mac nuts everyday. Love em

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I consider nuts and seeds as a supplement that should be kept in strict portions, so I take two walnuts and six almonds per day after finishing lunch and 20 gram of spicy sunflower seeds as a snack at night, that’s it! No free unlimited eating of these goodies…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbelanger View Post
    I eat a good Handful of sprouted organic Mac nuts everyday. Love em
    I eat a small amount of nuts or seeds everyday. The type will vary but includes almonds, cashews, macadamia, walnuts, black walnuts, and pecans.

When I say a small amount I mean exactly 10 or exactly 20 (one or two servings in other words). On the days when I don't do nuts I usually have two tablespoons of chia or flax seeds (freshly ground).

Grok most certainly ate such things when they were available. Native Americans along the east coast ate copious amounts of chestnuts. I think all of the 'anti nutrient' hoo ha is just that. As humanoids and other animals have been eating nuts and seeds for as long as we have existed.

Mark had something to say about this today. Basically saying that good gut flora perhaps makes them even more valuable than previously thought?:

7 Things You Had No Idea Gut Bacteria Could Do | Mark's Daily Apple

As for the fact that they are extremely calorie dense and delicious - well - can't argue with that!

I personally don't like thinking too hard about the tiny nuances of what micro nutrients are in what - and that is why I stress two things - Whole Foods and a Huge Variety.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm one of the few posters that advocates unlimited nut consumption. What can I say. I love em and it works for me. I see no compelling reason not to eat them other than that they are nutrient dense and some people want to avoid that.

Coincidentally I also had zero trouble transitioning from low carb to high carb and back whenever I wanted. Some VLC couldn't do that. I'm fairly certain that the high amounts of nuts and seeds in my diet along with not eating processed items that promote pathological bacteria kept my gut primed for anything. So...seeds and nuts for RS....Yeah, that works too in my experience.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast