Thread: confusion about nuts page 14

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    God Almighty you are dense.
    What is the density of God?

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    What is the density of God?
    Infinity. See if you can get your brain wrapped around that concept.

Timthetaco Guest
    I'd just like to point out, once again, the PREDIMED study basically shows that adding olive oil or nuts to your mediterranean diet might make you marginally healthier, and you're using it as evidence to restrict all PUFAs almost entirely. I'd really recommend taking this study off your 'Why PUFAs Are Bad' list.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I'd just like to point out, once again, the PREDIMED study basically shows that adding olive oil or nuts to your mediterranean diet might make you marginally healthier, and you're using it as evidence to restrict all PUFAs almost entirely. I'd really recommend taking this study off your 'Why PUFAs Are Bad' list.
    And for the record, I was only 'giving' him PREDIMED as a point of negotiation while we were still in the discussion stage. As it was the only study on which he stood a chance of making a case in terms of nut consumption. Don't, for a New York minute, suspect that I intended to leave it on the table when we had reached the stage of discussing the detail of the evidence that was admitted into the conversation.

Although I have stated that I am not debating with him further so now I will not proceed with my plan. As we never got more than the PREDIMED even admitted into the conversation.

How does it demonstrate that adding nuts to a Mediterranean diet makes you healthier? To show that, you would need a Mediterranean diet with nuts and one without nuts for comparison. But the only other Mediterranean diet in the study used olive oil and had a lower mortality rate. So all that shows us is that replacing nuts with olive oil lowers mortality.

Timthetaco Guest
    Unless I misread the supplementary information, the control diet was a low-fat mediterranean diet, which was the least beneficial of the three.

Quoting the supplementary appendix:
    The focus in the control group was to reduce all types of fat, with
    particular emphasis in recommending the consumption of lean meats, low-fat dairy products,
    cereals, potatoes, pasta, rice, fruits and vegetables (Table S2). In the Control group, advice on vegetables, red meat and processed meats, high-fat dairy products, and sweets concurred with the recommendations of the Mediterranean diet,
    but use of olive oil for cooking and dressing and consumption of nuts, fatty meats, sausages,
    and fatty fish were discouraged...Cooking instructions were
    also given to participants in the control group about the preparation of foods to avoid frying
    and using instead steaming, broiling, or microwaving.
    So the control diet was low-fat but not especially Mediterranean. It also had an all-cause mortality rate similar to that of the nut group (11.2 versus 11.7 deaths per 1000 person-years).
    Last edited by Elliot; 04-26-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    So, the best study he keeps producing is PREDIMID, where the fish eating and nut eating instructed groups had a slightly higher but non significant increase in mortality.
    Would you be equally impressed if one was to find a study that in which the higher butter or red meat eaters had a slight increase in mortality. Or what that invoke the much repeated "CORRELATION ISN"T CAUSATION".

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    So, the best study he keeps producing is PREDIMID, where the fish eating and nut eating instructed groups had a slightly higher but non significant increase in mortality.
    Would you be equally impressed if one was to find a study that in which the higher butter or red meat eaters had a slight increase in mortality. Or what that invoke the much repeated "CORRELATION ISN"T CAUSATION".
    "Correlation isn't causation" applies to epidemiology, not controlled experiments.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    CORRELATION DOESNT EQUAL CAUSATION is mostly used by people denying any kind of a association. that people don't agree with.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast