Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keto Fasting Journal - Sweet Leilani page

Sweet Leilani is offline Senior Member

Keto Fasting Journal - Sweet Leilani

Primal Fuel
    At the very end of last year I discovered multi day fasting and I loved it and it seemed to work well for me. This year i want to focus on alternating between fasting days and keto days.

I guess the rough plan is to fast 36 hours and then have a 12 hour eating window. I would like to occasionally extend the fasting window to 3-4 days maybe longer.

I have my weightlifting, HIIT and endurance exercise plans figured out, though it may take a little bit of mixing it up here and there as I meld it with the keto/fasting.

This journal is purely a place to document what i am doing so that I can review and rejig as needed.

Weight:
    (to be updated in this post weekly)

3 Jan - 349.0
    10 Jan - 348.0
    17 Jan - 346.6
    24 Jan - NWD (no weight day)
    31 Jan - 340.8
    7 Feb - 340.6
    Last edited by Sweet Leilani; 02-06-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Update weight
    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Yesterday was supposed to be a fasting day, but I decided that before I do any more fasting i should top my stores of nutrients. So i had a large lunch meal of fresh oysters, ox tongue, liver, sardines and a cup of rice. The rice was only necessary because i cannot eat the amount of liver I ate yesterday without it (bleh). I was supposed to end the day with a cup of bone broth but the thought of any more food made me feel ill so I skipped it.
    I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for everybody, and I don't believe there is one correct way of eating for a person through every stage of their life

Fasting day.

Day 1 of ??
    Feeling like eating, but it's mainly a mouth things, not a hunger thing. A large part of my eating must be for amusement or entertainment reasons rather then hunger. Hardest part of fasting is boredom, especially the first few days, but I'll just push through. Managed to cook dinner for DH tonight and really enjoyed the experience. I was feeling a little 'cravey' beforehand but smelling the food I cooked seemed to satisfy that.

---------------
    Broke fast at 30 hours. Energy was feeling a tad low. I had a feeling of 'not ready' mentally, so going to have a day or two to regroup and give it another go.
    Last edited by Sweet Leilani; 01-05-2014 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Updates

Finished a 40 hours fast this morning and ended it with a pork knuckle and some almonds.

Started weights today. Will take a few goes to figure out my working reps and weights. Todays session was;

Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 x 8 @ 6.5kg
    Dumbbell Rows - 3 x 8 @ 5kg
    Dumbell Press - 1 x 6 @ 5kg, 1 x 7 @ 3kg, 1 x 10 @ 3 kg (this last set was using a single cast dumbbell)
    Zottman Curls - 3 x 8 @ 3kg

The actual dumbbell bar weighs about 1 kg I guess but I'm only recording the actual weight of the plates I put on them. Except for the one 3 kg dumbbell set that is a single cast dumbbell.

Didn't do any leg workout as I'm planning on doing a train station HIIT session and that normally Chernobyl's my legs.

Clarkie is offline Senior Member
    40 hours! Holy crap girl that's amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    40 hours! Holy crap girl that's amazing!
    Thanks Clarkie,

I have been loving these experiences with longer fasts. They're changing my relationship with food. I had no idea I spent sooo much time thinking about food, or that I spent sooo much time anticipating my next meal. Even if that meal was many hours away and I wasn't hungry yet. It has been awesome to realise this, and it has been a pretty interesting last few weeks because I've been looking for alternatives to spent my mental energy on. Looking for other things to 'anticipate' rather then anything food related. I'm starting to fill that need with fitness. Trying to increase my HIIT or reduce the length of time it takes me to climb a bridge. Just started on my weight training today, so am looking forward to increasing my strength as well.

Well i think I've nutted out my ADF plan.

Monday - Food 6am - 6pm
    Tuesday - Fasting (36 hours fasted)
    Wednesday - Food 6am - 6pm
    Thursday - Fasting (36 hours fasted)
    Friday - Food 6am - 6pm
    Saturday - Fast until 6pm for dinner (so 24 hours fast from Friday)
    Sunday - Fasting (36 hours)

If i feel like having a longer fast I just miss out a food day and it becomes an 84 hours fast.. or even longer if needed.

Well just finished my Up Day.

For break fast I had 4 eggs, some deli meats and 2 home made macadamia cookies (made with ground macadamias, eggs, a few drops of stevia and a little bit of grated 85% chocolate).

Dinner was a beef curry using a Cape Malay curry mix I picked up on the weekend, with a side of zucchini and cabbage sauteed in butter. I finished off with a couple of squares of 72% chocolate. I only had a small serve as I wasn't feeling too hungry, but the Cape Malay mix was delicious!

I am feeling quite sore in my arms, chest and shoulders from yesterday. Actually really sore. Even feeling a bit sore in my hams because I tried out some dumbbell straight leg deadlifts but didn't do too many as I was trying to feel if my form was correct. I can't do deadlifts with a barbell until I lose more belly fat, so was trying out the dumbbell version. I need to check some Youtube vids to ensure I get my form right.

I'm feeling really tired and sore but I have a HIIT session tonight, and even though I don't feel like doing it, I know I'll feel awesome after it's done, so going to use that to pull myself through it.

So from here it's a 36 - 40 hours fast.

Something I noticed last night which kind of really surprised me.. Since embarking on some multi-day fasts over the last two weeks I've noticed I really don't like the feeling of being full any more!! I'm not talking over full, or stuffed.. just normal 'full'. I used to LOVE that feeling, now it feels... bleh. I don't want to feel full any more, I would really just prefer to feel 'not hungry'. A new discovery for me to mull over..

Clarkie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Leilani View Post
    Well i think I've nutted out my ADF plan.

Monday - Food 6am - 6pm
    Tuesday - Fasting (36 hours fasted)
    Wednesday - Food 6am - 6pm
    Thursday - Fasting (36 hours fasted)
    Friday - Food 6am - 6pm
    Saturday - Fast until 6pm for dinner (so 24 hours fast from Friday)
    Sunday - Fasting (36 hours)

If i feel like having a longer fast I just miss out a food day and it becomes an 84 hours fast.. or even longer if needed.
    When you fast are you drinking water or other fluids? Are you finding that it's helping you lose weight more quickly? Sorry so many questions but I am so interested in this. I am taking baby steps towards fasting. Right now I don't eat later than 8pm and I usually don't have any solid food until noonish. I do have coffee with coconut oil when I get up. I'd like to try fasting longer but I'm not sure how to get started. It seems so simple, just don't eat, but whenever I try I get the growling stomach, headache and feeling really bitchy and preoccupied with eating. Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    When you fast are you drinking water or other fluids? Are you finding that it's helping you lose weight more quickly? Sorry so many questions but I am so interested in this. I am taking baby steps towards fasting. Right now I don't eat later than 8pm and I usually don't have any solid food until noonish. I do have coffee with coconut oil when I get up. I'd like to try fasting longer but I'm not sure how to get started. It seems so simple, just don't eat, but whenever I try I get the growling stomach, headache and feeling really bitchy and preoccupied with eating. Any tips?
    Oh yes I drink water, though I may also have a glass of carbonated spring water just for something a little different for the mouth. I probably drink about 1.5 - 2L of water per day.

As for it helping me lose weight more quickly.. it's kind of hard to say. Since I started this fasting/non-fasting experiment (just under 2 weeks ago) I'm down 13lbs BUT what makes it a little murky is that my monthly cycle started and finished and I've just started being a bit more active. My gut feel is yes, it seems to be making a difference, because I am at a new low by 8lbs. I had been sitting at a plateau for quite awhile that I couldn't get past. For me to say that it definitely is making a difference I'd probably prefer to see how the rest of this month goes

Any tips? Well I'm very new at this but Sabine has been playing with fasting a lot more so you'd probably find her journal very interesting. All I can say is that fasting is veeeery much a mental game. I have to do the mental prep work beforehand otherwise I give in and eat only a few hours in. For me, it's almost akin to athletes before they compete in some event (forgive me athletes of the world for this comparison).. they'll run through the race in their head many times before they get on the track so that their game plan and expectation of success is firmly cemented. Same with the fasting.. I will run through it in my head about what I'm going to do, how I will handle temptations, my options for dealing with the boredom and when and how I will break the fast.

I've taken to increasing my electrolytes on my Up days to avoid getting headaches on fasting days, though I will also have some electrolytes on fasting days if the dull ache and fogginess don't go away. I have two different types of magnesium drinks and a Lite salt which is 50/50 potassium and sodium. I will mix myself up a glass with all these and skull. Often the pain will diminish almost immediately. I've also taken to having a shaker of the 50/50 potassium salt on my desk and when I feel any tightening around my head i will sprinkle on a spoon or the back of my hand and lick off like a salt lick. I've actually been experimenting with this and I've found sometimes it tastes delicious and other times too salty, and I've been using that as a rough guide as to whether I am running low on electrolytes or not.

The stomach growling thing can be a little distracting.. But i don't think it's really hunger, more of an expectation by the stomach of food because that's what it's used to around that time. I normally have a big glass of water to get by this. And bitchy, tetchy yes.. I hear you.. this is where the pre prep work comes in. Plan before hand what you can do to deal with this.. read, watch videos, play a game, go for a walk.. The mood won't last, the stomach growling won't last and best of all, the fast won't last

There is a thread on here from 2012 by Nady about fasting that is also very interesting to read. I'm just a beginner so it's all new to me still Just start slow, don't push yourself if you haven't got your mental game face on, you can always restart at some later stage. I think it was Nady that said in one of here threads that it shouldn't be about punishing yourself.. so just take it easy and play with it

I'll look for the threads to link for you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast