Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Everywhere page

mdlaw is offline Senior Member

Primal Everywhere

This is inspired by the primal at starbucks threat. I'm good about cooking right at home, but when I am away from a kitchen, it's tougher to find primal(ish) things to eat. There were good suggetions in the earlier thread, especially from people who had worked there and knew "tricks," so I thought I'd get the ball rolling here.

I know some of these may not be ideal in the sense of not cooked with the best fat or whatever, but at least they are low carb and high in the right kind of general foods. I am fond of Boston Market, where with a student discount I can get a half roast chicken with green beans and a side salad or mixed veggies for around $7.00. Chipotle also does it for me, as I can get a salad made with lettuce, peppers, onions, and one of their meats, plus sour cream and cheese. Their salsas appear carby from what I can tell, but the braised meats are usually flavorful enough, and they have hot sauce as well.

What else do people like to get when on the run and in need of some reasonably okay food? There is a Subway right here, but I haven't discovered anything that does it for me... maybe a chicken bacon salad?

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I used to love Subway. I have been primal for 2.5 months and have not stopped at Subway one single time. When I go back a Chicken Bacon Salad sounds wonderful.

I ate at Chipotle the other day. I enjoyed a naked burrito without the rice and beans. I told them to give me extra meat but I am not sure if they did... it didn't seem like it at least.

I know there are a lot of people from California here... do any of you go to In-N-Out Burger? I ate there when I visited Cali 2 summers ago. Loved the food. I will go for a burger with a lettuce bun next time!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Subway when I'm in a pinch. I get a steak and cheese salad with double meat and bacon. Top it with ranch dressing and bob's your uncle.

Most places, when in a bind, you can find a hunk of meat and some veg.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I guess about the only thing I got right before PB was avoiding fast food for the last 10 years.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Italian restaurants are something that I'm wondering about. I've not been out to one since I've turned primal. I know that there are Italian meat dishes that aren't swimming in pasta, but my former favorite used to be lasagna. These days, if I did go I wouldn't most likely even want to eat it anyway and change it and change the 20%. The concept of pasta doesn't really have any redeeming qualities at this point. Fried Calamari, my favorite appetizer, also won't have the same appeal. Breading anything and then frying it in crappy oil is not how I want something cooked anymore. I bet I could find a primal way to get the calamari squid to taste great and be primal though.

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    I was in Italy (Rome and Florence) not that long ago, and they tend to serve meats and pastas as seperate courses. It's more of an American thing to do the spagetti and meatballs type presentation, so you should be able to get good meat and poultry dishes at authentic places without having to waste pasta.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Had some Burger King ribs the other day. Not bad for desperation food. No sticky sauces on them, just meat.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Panera's chicken cobb salad is low carb and primal(ish).

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    I think it's the northern Italian restaurants that do less of the pasta and sauce thing and more of other types of foods. Maggiano's food is fantastic. I haven't been there since going primal but I remember awesome salads, and hunks of meat and other stuff. They appear to have locations throughout the country. http://www.maggianos.com/locations/ If you do it family style it's all you can eat. And even if you're treating yourself...stay away from the damn deserts...holy cow...

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I hit an Italian restaurant, I first refuse the ubiquitous bread basket, then either skip the appetizers, or find one that is breadless, or is otherwise good if I just ask them to hold the bread. I choose grill selections with vegetables instead of pasta dishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast