Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dip ! page

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member

Exclamation The Dip !

The recent thread about Bench Presses got me thinking. As I mostly workout at home with limited equipment and space the Bench press hasn't really been a feasible exercise for me.
    As such my main chest exercise has been the parallel bar dip. Some people find it hard on their shoulders but in all my years of doing heavy dips I've never had any shoulder pain. I have on occasion had pain in my elbows but that was down to not warming up.

I usually begin my chest workouts with heavy dips and then go onto Dumbbell bench presses once my pecs are fairly fatigued. Doing this routine I've never had any problems building a decent sized chest.

Let's hear your views on this exercise that someone once called the Upper body squat.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Love em! Whenever I fail an overhead or bench press attempt, it's always because my triceps can't lock it out. After I started doing dips, especially weighted ones, my lockout strength improved significantly. My arms are a little bigger now, too . I haven't had time to do them for a few weeks but can't wait to get back into the habit.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I think I'll have to work up to those chains. I'm still using body weight.

PS I'd like to build some chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I think I'll have to work up to those chains. I'm still using body weight.

PS I'd like to build some chest.
    Body weight dips are still good going ! For anyone struggling to do body weight dips you can always place a bench near to the dip stand so you can place your feet on it to take some of the weight.

How about this for beastly, the legendary Pat Casey !

In 1962, Casey recalled, “My last workout on dips was one of my marathon sessions. At a bodyweight of 300 pounds, I used a 250 pound dumbbell to perform 200 repetitions. I started with sets of five reps, dropped to four, and gradually descended to singles. On occasion, I’d knocked out 100,000 pounds within an eight-hour period.”

He sometimes used up to 380 lbs of extra weight !!!!

http://legendarystrength.com/pat-casey/
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 01-02-2014 at 06:14 PM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I got to do dips with some heavy chains last time I visited my brother and went to his gym. I like the weight on my shoulders more than I like it on my hips, which is my only choice at home. Hopefully I will stumble across some heavy chains at a garage sale or on craigslist. I don't remember ever going much over 90# of added weight though. 380's a bit beyond my capabilities.
    The Champagne of Beards

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    The good thing about the dip is that you don't need a spotter and can go beyond concentric and eccentric failure if desired...

Those are some good things about the dip. Also, they can be loaded incrementally. And they allow you to move some serious weight with your upper body. And some people who can't bench press comfortably or with out injury find dips to be a useful alternative. There are tons of good things about the dip. It's even been called the upper body's squat. Now that's some high praise!
    The Champagne of Beards

Canuck_Cam is offline Member
    I got some gymnastics rings for Christmas, doing dips on those is way harder for me! I need to work on going deep into the dip much more now.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck_Cam View Post
    I got some gymnastics rings for Christmas, doing dips on those is way harder for me! I need to work on going deep into the dip much more now.
    Be careful. Ring dips are a different animal. Much easier to tear up a shoulder with them than on fixed parallel or slightly angled bars.
    The Champagne of Beards

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast