Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Dip ! page 4

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I haven't noticed bench dips hurting my shoulders. Al Kavadlo has them as step one in dip progression. Kinda like step one before you can do a pull-up.

What do you guys think of using the assisted pull-up machine for dips?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Still love the dip.....you know if you are a complete noob at the turkish get up and do it totally wrong it makes for a great chest workout!

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Been awhile back, but i wd. split the washer and dryer down in the basement an appropriate distance to make a "dip station." I made loops with thera-band tubing and wooden dowels. I'd simply wrap the tubing over my shoulders and under each hand to add resistance to dips, lowering myself slowly for TUT purposes since the resistance decreases on the eccentric part. It did in a pinch. I was doing 15 reps per set bw only before intro'ing resistance. Also did the same w-pressups and split squats.
    Last edited by Terry H; 01-04-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: addiition

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I haven't noticed bench dips hurting my shoulders. Al Kavadlo has them as step one in dip progression. Kinda like step one before you can do a pull-up.

Yeah the assisted machines work great.

clevinger is offline Junior Member
    Dips were feeling really good today and I ended knocking out 6x8 and 1x10 and felt like I had another set or two left. Those numbers aren't really impressive but at a BW of 208, they aren't too bad either. Might add some weighted sets next week. I started to train seriously a little less than a year ago and could barely manage 2x6 on a really good day. Gotta love progress!

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clevinger View Post
    Dips were feeling really good today and I ended knocking out 6x8 and 1x10 and felt like I had another set or two left. Those numbers aren't really impressive but at a BW of 208, they aren't too bad either. Might add some weighted sets next week. I started to train seriously a little less than a year ago and could barely manage 2x6 on a really good day. Gotta love progress!
    Good stuff buddy. I actually find that weighted sets don't make my reps drop as much as you would think, just work into them nice and steady.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

I love me some dips! And it's true - I am a proponent of the bench dip, but it's not always ideal for everyone.

For anyone who's interested, I wrote an article on dips for T-Nation a while back that's full of "dip thoughts."
    T NATION | All About Dips
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    good one Mr. K. I developed thru dips, bands, and clubs some tri's I never had before. I did the std dip and from 2nd set o-wards went deeper than 90d. The stretch and of course the pump feels great. Now you've got me thinking about the straight bar dip....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234