Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please don't crucify me for this, but is it bad to eat quinoa or oatmeal?? page

LivingHealthyLove is offline Junior Member

Please don't crucify me for this, but is it bad to eat quinoa or oatmeal??

Hi MDA folks!

I've searched around for threads on this one, but most of the folks who wanted to continue eating grains like oatmeal and quinoa did so out of habit and comfort opposed to how it made them feel. Quick background on me, I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) over a year ago, decided to go paleo to combat it, going paleo was the best decision I made because I started menstruating again within a month or two of going paleo after 10 months of of not menstruating, I felt much better (even my acid reflux issues disappeared). A few months passed and I slowly started to revert back to old ways.. long story short I've been trying to go back to paleo to lose weight (aiming for 40-50 lb weight loss). I noticed that when I eat a paleo diet, I feel good, but I am often tired. I wake up frequently in the middle of the night and I experience twitching in the eyelids. I even experienced sharp chest pains from time to time. The good outweighs the bad, but the bad is still annoying and I wanted to get rid of those issues. Since incorporating some grains again, I no longer wake up frequently in the middle of the night and the twitching is gone. The chest pains are also gone. (No, the chest pains are not acid reflux issues or heart burn).

Here's what I often hear.. when attemptinig to eat oatmeal again, after going paleo, because of mere nostalgia, paleo/primal folks reported feeling heavy and not so great. Let me tell you my experience. One morning, after weighing that steel cut oats with milk, brown sugar, nuts and seeds, and dried fruit would only cost be $2 and an omelet with veggies and bacon would cost over $8, I chose to go with the steel cut oats from Pret A Manger. When I ate that for breakfast, I not only felt full (good feeling), but felt a burst of energy. I could accomplish so much in the next few hours. I didn't feel sluggish, I felt great. Same goes for quinoa. So, in conclusion, considering how it makes me feel, is having steel cut oats, or quinoa for breakfast so bad? Is it still sinful to incorporate it in my diet twice or three times a week on work out days? What's your take on my experience?

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    It works for me when i workout after eating it. Otherwise i get that huge typical slugfest around noon that went away when i started eating primal.

Also count it as empty carbs because the minerals arent that useable. The biggest problem (namely gluten) isnt in oats in any significant amount, so if wheat didnt literally kill you before i dont see a big problem with eating it for breakfast if it works for you.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    justifying oatmeal vs eggs because of the price is ludicrous, lol, sorry. i eat 3-4 eggs daily (at home) and even with other stuff added it's under $1.

have you tried adding other nutritious carbs back in? starchy tubers or fruit instead of empty cals like oatmeal? you don't say what you eat for carbs normally, so that might be a better and more healthful option.

obvz, you're an adult. the primal police aren't putting you in the stockade if you want to eat oatmeal, but i don't see the point of it. especially more days than not.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Among the natural foods grass seeds are the most openly hostile to us. Of course not every type is a poison dagger for every individual but in the interest of simplifying the variables it's usually the first group to cut. How do you feel after non-seed starch like potato, squash, plantain?

I'm not religious so I don't know what sinful means but my experience and observation = losing 50# on grains would be a rough road.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing wrong with well cooked oatmeal
    nihil

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    $8 omelet at home is highly suspect. As a weight loss tool, Oatmeal was very helpful to me before I found Paleo/Primal. I have no desire to go back to it but it probably is on my ok list.

gergirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingHealthyLove View Post
    Hi MDA folks!

I've searched around for threads on this one, but most of the folks who wanted to continue eating grains like oatmeal and quinoa did so out of habit and comfort opposed to how it made them feel. Quick background on me, I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) over a year ago, decided to go paleo to combat it, going paleo was the best decision I made because I started menstruating again within a month or two of going paleo after 10 months of of not menstruating, I felt much better (even my acid reflux issues disappeared). A few months passed and I slowly started to revert back to old ways.. long story short I've been trying to go back to paleo to lose weight (aiming for 40-50 lb weight loss). I noticed that when I eat a paleo diet, I feel good, but I am often tired. I wake up frequently in the middle of the night and I experience twitching in the eyelids. I even experienced sharp chest pains from time to time. The good outweighs the bad, but the bad is still annoying and I wanted to get rid of those issues. Since incorporating some grains again, I no longer wake up frequently in the middle of the night and the twitching is gone. The chest pains are also gone. (No, the chest pains are not acid reflux issues or heart burn).

Here's what I often hear.. when attemptinig to eat oatmeal again, after going paleo, because of mere nostalgia, paleo/primal folks reported feeling heavy and not so great. Let me tell you my experience. One morning, after weighing that steel cut oats with milk, brown sugar, nuts and seeds, and dried fruit would only cost be $2 and an omelet with veggies and bacon would cost over $8, I chose to go with the steel cut oats from Pret A Manger. When I ate that for breakfast, I not only felt full (good feeling), but felt a burst of energy. I could accomplish so much in the next few hours. I didn't feel sluggish, I felt great. Same goes for quinoa. So, in conclusion, considering how it makes me feel, is having steel cut oats, or quinoa for breakfast so bad? Is it still sinful to incorporate it in my diet twice or three times a week on work out days? What's your take on my experience?
    isn't that enough proof that they are good for you? enjoy!!!!!!! same with me when i go too low carb...

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eats.meats.west View Post
    $8 omelet at home is highly suspect. As a weight loss tool, Oatmeal was very helpful to me before I found Paleo/Primal. I have no desire to go back to it but it probably is on my ok list.
    the $8 omelet was out. so was the $2 oatmeal that probably cost the restaurant about 10 cents to make.

my pastured eggs cost about $3/dozen. i'd have to eat about 30 eggs before i got to $8 worth.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Drock is offline Senior Member
    If you can tolerate it just fine (sounds like you do) and you're active enough to support it (you mention having it on workout days), and you're happy with your weight loss progress while eating them, then go for it. I'm not going to try to tell you that they fit into a paleo diet, but you don't have to follow anyone's diet. Eat what works best for you and gives you the results you want. As mentioned, quinoa and steel cut oats are probably neutral at worst. They certainly aren't like wheat, rye, et al.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't understand the $8 figure on the omelet. The most expensive eggs I've seen locally are $6.50/dozen (54cents/egg). There are some online being sold as soy free for $7.50/dozen (63cents/egg). And I can get farm eggs for $4.50-$5.00/dozen (38-42cents/egg). And then there's CAFO eggs at $2/dozen (17cents/egg.) I don't know much about bacon prices because it's too expensive for what it offers nutritionally, but I've seen it at convenience stores for $6.99/12 oz. If you buy it at US Wellness, however, I think it's somewhere around $12/pound (give or take a dollar). If you reuse the bacon fat, it costs you only what you figured for the bacon, so no added expense. At $9/lb for butter, a tablespoon adds a fraction over 28cents to the cost of the meal.

I'm not saying your omelet doesn't cost $8. It just surprises me because living on mostly eggs and omelets was something I used to sometimes do if I was waiting on a college loan or grant check - IOW, it was a cheap way to live in the short run.

If you like oatmeal, (or quinoa, which isn't technically a grain), and they don't make you feel unwell, you should eat them. But do it armed with information. Find a food tracker you like, then input both meals separately to see what you're eating. From there you can decide for you if one meal is better than the other.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast