Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I tried the Domino's gluten free crust page

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member

I tried the Domino's gluten free crust

Shop Now
    I did this because the SO wanted pizza, and we had mentioned we'd try the GF crust next time. It is made from:

Water, Modified Rice Starch, Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Olive Oil, Potato Flour, Evaporated Cane Sugar, Fresh Yeast, Honey, Avicel, Salt, Calcium Propionate.

Generally innocuous. Avicel is a cellulose fiber and Calcium Propionate is a preservative. The "modified" rice starch is the sketchiest thing for me, though I'm 99% sure it's a reference for amylose degradation via bacterial introduction (could be chemical).

It actually tasted better than the regular crust, and was rather thin. The Domino's calculator brought this in at about 160 cal / slice if I recall, with mushrooms, pepperoni (likely BHT laced), green peppers and black olives.

This is an improvement on "20% fare", however, and I am in no way advocating pizza (gluten free or otherwise) to anyone on the Primal Blueprint & associated dietary theorems. A further improvement likely lies in dropping the meat, as who knows what additives are in it? Should probably go see where the HFCS and soybean oil is hiding...suspect the sauce.

M.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    It may be gluten free but I assure you they cook it in the same ovens in the same pans on the same prep surface, meaning if you have a legit gluten allergy it's a no-go. If you are just trying to be paleo though yeah it's going to be minimal gluten exposure.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    It may be gluten free but I assure you they cook it in the same ovens in the same pans on the same prep surface, meaning if you have a legit gluten allergy it's a no-go. If you are just trying to be paleo though yeah it's going to be minimal gluten exposure.
    Smart poster! Yes, if celiac, don't even smell it. But for most of us, good to hear of this treat.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I'm pretty sure there's soybean oil all over their meat & veggies, which is why I won't touch it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever had a thin-crust pizza that's been baked in a wood oven at a real Italian place? Perhaps that would be a better cheat than mass-produced stuff. Plus wine.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Have you ever had a thin-crust pizza that's been baked in a wood oven at a real Italian place? Perhaps that would be a better cheat than mass-produced stuff. Plus wine.
    I've taken to making my own gluten-free pizzas at home, with a pizza stone. I do use cornmeal to slide the crust easier. The dough mix is made by Pamela's baking company, available at Whole Foods. Not the best, but not the worst, and IMO a great option for someone with gluten-sensitivity.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Ya why would you ever put anything from Dominos in your body??? I had dominos about 7 years ago and it gave me terrible indigestion then. I agree if you are going to eat pizza of any sort go to a local place that uses fresh local ingredients not mass produced garbage.

PBS had a cool show about industrialized food that showed the supply chain for Dominoes. I just saw one of these Domino's Supply Tracker semi trucks drive by my house.
    http://www.pbs.org/america-revealed/episode/1/

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I guess what I liked about the Italian place I went to was not just that the crust was like a thin crunchy cracker but that the toppings were full of fancy schmancy sausages and herbs and fancy cheeses.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I guess what I liked about the Italian place I went to was not just that the crust was like a thin crunchy cracker but that the toppings were full of fancy schmancy sausages and herbs and fancy cheeses.
    Probably cost an arm and a leg too, not 9$ delivered.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast