Thread: Stop The Fat Talk page

JimenyKrickets is offline Senior Member

Stop The Fat Talk

Primal Fuel
    Beneficial or detrimental? Discuss...

Last edited by JimenyKrickets; 12-31-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    Wow...Can't say if it is detrimental or beneficial, but I am sitting here with tears. Can't even explain why to hubby because it has affected me so strongly.

It is how I was talked to by my mother all my growing up, and how I talk to myself.

At least I recognized how destructive this talk is and never talk that way with my own daughters about them, or about me. They have grown up with wonderful body images of themselves and don't have my negative patterns. I am so proud of that and thankful they don't have to live with the negative sadness I have lived with.
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Way back in the late 80's a friend and I did an installation art piece that we installed in women's bathrooms. It wasn't just about fat but body image in general. We designed and printed wallpaper with images of women and comments about body image. On the mirrors we put statements like "your nose is too big" " you have bags under your eyes". We had books in the bathrooms so women could comment on what they thought of the piece, their reactions were very similar to the ones in the video.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris T View Post
    Wow...Can't say if it is detrimental or beneficial, but I am sitting here with tears. Can't even explain why to hubby because it has affected me so strongly.

It is how I was talked to by my mother all my growing up, and how I talk to myself.

At least I recognized how destructive this talk is and never talk that way with my own daughters about them, or about me. They have grown up with wonderful body images of themselves and don't have my negative patterns. I am so proud of that and thankful they don't have to live with the negative sadness I have lived with.
    good for you for reversing that line of thought!

I thought the ad was great. I can't really relate, because if I walked into a clothing store with sayings like that all around my only thought would be "wtf?", BUT it's a great message. It's not so much "fat acceptance" as "self-love". I really am happy that they didn't end the ad with "you can lose 10 pounds by switching 2 meals to special k!"
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but good for you special k!
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    If I produced the rouge's list of unhealthy, sugar laden, processed garbage that defines the Kellogg's Food Company I'd want people to stop talking about being fat too. Nothing to see here. Just shut up and eat your Pop Tarts!

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    I think women pick on themselves too much and I do think that should stop but I don't like this coming from a cereal company who's main marketing group is women. Their line is "eat out cereal for a couple weeks, and drink our shakes and lose a dress size." Sure, starve yourself on crap and you'll drop a size, but for crying out loud what happened to just eating food. This only works with Special K. If we were to set up a store and offer a solution of NOT eating Special K and eating oh, I dunno, food, we would be the crazy ones.

I really don't like their other commercial, same store but it ends with the line, "what will you gain when you lose?" I hate it. Fat talk is bad but is saying that you aren't happy until you lose some of who you are, really any more helpful? i think, mentally, that does some damage. And the women will undoubtedly try it by living on Special K and carrot sticks and waving around little bright pink dumbbells. God forbid any woman anywhere actually put on a little muscle. Women always have to lose, lose, lose, lose. Why can't we gain? You want to be positive, talk about putting on some healthy muscle and not "toning" and quit scaring them by telling them they'll look like she-hulk if they do. Sorry, rant off.

Sent from....right behind you....
    You are an animal on this planet and the rules of engagement are non negotiable.

Grizz is offline Banned
    My 2 pennies worth:

Shapely women are beautiful women ! ! I was first attracted to my wife - to - be by her sexy full figure !
    My father also just LOVED women that were overweight.

I just don't think women who look sickly-anorexic are attractive. I think the News Media Propaganda is doing great harm to women by always promoting hanks of hair & bags of bones women.

Grizz

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizz View Post
    my 2 pennies worth:

Shapely women are beautiful women ! ! I was first attracted to my wife - to - be by her sexy full figure !
    My father also just loved women that were overweight.

I just don't think women who look sickly-anorexic are attractive. I think the news media propaganda is doing great harm to women by always promoting hanks of hair & bags of bones women.

Grizz
    i love you grizz!!
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    So is that way if guy(s) talk to women about nutrition it can be taken as if he/they are using code words for telling women they're fat?
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?