Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (kalewoman) page

kalewoman is offline Member

Primal Journal (kalewoman)

I came across MDA a while ago, and did some dabbling with what I was reading in the posts. Now I'm all ready to make a legitimate personal experiment out of these concepts.

I'd read that some other people had gotten rid of some health issues, ones that are way too familiar to me. I'm excited to see if my issues will go away, too.

Here's a list of bad stuff I've got:
    1. knee and elbow joint pain
    2. irritable bowel syndrome
    3. dysmennorhea/menorrhagia
    4. depression
    5. allergies
    6. chronic fatigue
    7. stubborn belly flab

I'm only 26. Almost 27. So I shouldn't have a bunch of issues like an old person. Right?

So the game here is, I get to do the Primal thing and still feed my family and do all the other wife and mom stuff, cuz that's my job. Grok on.

SRMnM is offline Member
    Well good on ya!! : )

Day 1

B: water

L: salad w/ romaine, chopped up chicken drumstick, chopped up turkey bacon, tahini dressing

S: water

D: small handful of almonds, bowl of broccoli stir-fried in a little butter

Exercise: None! The kids and I ran a couple errands, but the kids were sick and I didn't want them getting worse by running around, so we stayed inside for the bulk of the day. The Comcast guy came because our internet connection had problems. Today was pretty boring. I hope the kids are better tomorrow so we can DO stuff.

Today included moderate joint pain in knees, elbows, fingers. Medium energy in the morning. Lethargic in the afternoon. Back to moderate in the evening after the broccoli I had at dinner. Emotions corresponded to physical energy. No IBS. No allergies. Mild stomachache after lunch salad, and another mild stomachache after dinner. Mild headache only for a couple hours in the afternoon.

I didn't eat much today. But all we did was run two errands, I made a marinade for some beef and threw it into the fridge, and I got up from sitting or lying down occasionally to help the kids with things. It was really a lazy day with no opportunity, desire, energy, or motivation for much in the way of real physical activity. But I ate Primally, and I feel better tonight than I did waking up this morning. So, not a great day, but that was probably due to a lot of factors. And the odds are in favor of tomorrow being better.

Was excited to find that Costco sells organic beef, although it isn't grass fed; and organic chicken. But I would still rather buy local. I've got a serious love/hate relationship with Costco.

Day 2

B: scrambled egg

L: salad of romaine, chicken, turkey bacon, raspberry balsamic vinaigrette, sunflower seeds; a handful of almonds

S: another handful almonds; half a pork chop

D: carne asada (SUPER YUM)

Exercise: 5 minutes of tennis. Walked to the park and back. Tried taking my son to play tennis, but he was uncooperative so we didn't play for long. Then I got a call from my daughter's school telling me she was running a slight temperature and her ear hurt, so we picked her up. Made a pediatrician appointment. The ped confirmed double ear infection, prescribed amoxicillin. Haven't filled the prescription yet as I hate antibiotics. Went and got ear drops from the natural foods store instead. Came home, put ear drops in her ears, and hung around the house the rest of the day. I think the boy is getting her same illness.

Today, moderate joint pain in elbows, knees, mild in fingers. Medium energy all day long. Headache around 6pm but gone now. No IBS. No allergies. Emotionally neutral. No digestive issues. Sick kids again proved an obstacle to physical activity, but not going to kick myself. The carne asada for dinner kicked some primal butt. It was good. Today was better than yesterday. I think maybe the almonds are aggrivating my joint problems - is that possible? The avocado in the salad really hit the spot tonight.

I want to try some new cuts of meat, and seafood. Venture into new horizons.

I had almost finished composing this post when my 4-year-old decided to come and hit the power button and lose everything. He's in BED now, so this should work this time!

Day 3

B: egg, green bell pepper, zucchini, salsa

L: broccoli, pork chop, almonds, lettuce, chicken, raspberry vinaigrette, sunflower seeds

S: almonds

D: flank steak, zucchini, bell pepper, lettuce, chicken, tomato, avocado, tahini dressing, salsa

Exercise: 30 minutes walking with short bursts of running.

My 5-year-old and I walked to the pharmacy and back this evening because we had run out of children's tylenol and she's got this ear infection. That was nice. We had galloping races and short running races, and walked fast, and slow, and picked some flowers up that had fallen on the ground.

I've got to start getting to bed earlier so I can get up earlier and do some actual exercise before the kids wake up, because once they're awake, the chances are slim, especially with everybody being all sick lately, that I'll be able to get any real exercise in. I want to weight train, I need to get stronger.

Moderate elbow pain, mild finger joint pain today. Medium energy all day except for a slump between 2 and 5pm (typical). No headaches. No IBS. No allergies. Emotionally fair, better than yesterday.

Husband and I watched the documentary "The Future of Food" last night. It is excellent. We are going to adjust our budget and make some sacrifices in some areas to allow more spending on clean food rather than feedlot, hormone-ridden, GMO, conventional, Monsanto stuff.

Gotta do some homework now. How awesome is it that I am almost 27 and still haven't earned my undergraduate degree? Yeah, awesome. Ok, night.

Day 4

B: no time!

L: almonds, a few strips of leftover flank stead with some leftover sauteed green bell pepper strips and zucchini

S: more almonds, some chicken

D: salad of romaine, tomato, a cut-up hot dog, avocado, and tahini dressing; more almonds!; collards cooked in butter with cut-up turkey bacon

Exercise: Walked to the post office and back. Followed the kids around the park, pushed them on the zip line and the tire swing. That was it.

I set my alarm to do real exercise this morning at 6:20, but my husband is sick and was coughing last night, and I came down to sleep on the couch, brough my phone (alarm) with me, but the A/C downstairs was loud enough that I didn't hear my phone and slept in until 7! So there went that.

Wasn't hungry today until about 2pm, then I ate a lot and made up for it. Seeing a little foggy after all the fat I've eaten this afternoon and evening, at least I assume that's what's making me see foggy. Not bad, though. I made the kids and hubby a fruit smoothie and took only a single bite and left the rest alone. Victory. I saw the bag of chocolate chip cookies I'd made a while back, in the freezer, and didn't eat any. Victory again. Score. I have to celebrate these, I'm not trying to be a snot and say 'yay me'...just need to think about what I'm doing right to give me motivation to keep on going.

Today moderate joint pain in knees, elbows, fingers. Medium-low energy all day. Feels like some lactic acid buildup in muscles, and I really have no energy to do cardio. But seem to be okay doing low-key stuff. No IBS. Very slight allergies at one point. Emotionally mixed, but okay.

I was surprised at how the cut-up hot dog in my salad was really not bad at all!

Everybody in the family is sick today except me. My fingers are crossed that I don't get this...it's like a cough that turns into an ear infection.

Gotta finish bathing the kids now, and put them to bed. On to Day 5 tomorrow, woohoo!

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Just stopped by to read--saying hello.

Keep at it. I know I feel a whole lot better these days.

Thanks for reading and saying 'hi'! Makes me happy to hear another person say they feel better eating Primally.

Day 5

B: no time!

L: omellet of 2 eggs, zucchini, spinach, salsa (yum!)

S: 3 oz almonds (yeah, a lot i know), 5.2 oz pork chop

D: chicken soup made from the rest of the chicken i boiled so the meat got loose on the bones, then separated meat and bone and added veggies: carrots, spinach, onion, zucchini, bell pepper; and I had yet another ounce of almonds....sheesh enough with the almonds, i know

Exercise: For some reason I can't even remember what all happened today. The kids and I ran some errands - Trader Joe's, Best Buy, Safeway. We walked to the park and back...just the one near our house. I did Pilates beginner mat this morning - the kids did it with me lol.

Had to resist some chips and salsa the rest of the fam was chowing down on, today. But it's easier to resist carb stuff on this diet, knowing I can have a lot of other things that are filling if I like - fat and veggies and meat and eggs. I don't feel starved, so it's easier to resist. Hum, my joints still hurt, but it's not unmanageable. I am not sure how long I can expect it to take for Primal nutrition to help that out. I'm hoping that being off of grains and sugars will get rid of the arthritis-y stuff. Today, moderate arthritis in elbows and fingers, mild in knees. No IBS. No allergies. No energy for cardio (can't bring myself to race the kids home from anywhere). But emotionally good today. Had some good moments with husband and kids. Positive. And in tracking my eating, the last few days have been more constant, in my consumption of calories, than they typically used to be when i was eating all kinds of carbs or doing the vegan thing. I used to swing from one day of eating not much to the next day eating tons and feeling full and bloated...just back and forth, and emotionally was about the same, tended to be. This is much more even, steady, and without me focusing on that much. Interesting.

Limiting my time on the computer. Need to get away from screens and do more meditation and just being with my kids/family, or observing my surroundings.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 6

B: salad consisting of romaine, turkey bacon, chicken, and tahini dressing

L: a single grape, a cheese stick (b/c the kids were having them and I wanted to see what a bit of dairy would do to me...see below); chicken soup with veggies (leftover from last night's dinner); and some strips of chicken breast that I'd cooked for my salad earlier, from the fridge, just plain

S: almonds

D: coconut pancakes with hot dog inside; three grapes

The cheese stick caused me to feel like my intestines wanted to expel something but couldn't, so then felt kinda stopped up. Still do. It was organic (the cheese stick), but part-skim rather than full-fat...wonder if a full-fat cheese would've acted differently. Anyway, dairy and I are not chummy at present. Hopefully we'll become better friends at some point in the future, but that future may be quite a ways off.

Exercise: Went to farmer's market and Whole Foods. Walked to the park later. That about sums up exercise.

My knees feel really weird - kind of hot and swollen, these past few days. But they actually hurt more when I just sit doing nothing rather than when I'm moving in certain ways. That's somewhat different. I can't decide if they hurt more, or less, or the same as before I started this diet. But they most definitely feel DIFFERENT. Weirdness. Um...no IBS, slight allergies after dinner. Mild pain in elbows, fingers. Hot or swollen-feeling mild pain in knees.

Tried to get a lot of sun today, and burned my legs. Sure doesn't take me long to burn. Wonder if that means I got enough Vitamin D? I need to be less stressed out. I'm like stressed out by default - my muscles are tense as a general rule, from head to toe, I swear. I've got to relax, but the first part of that is realizing I'm tense so that I can consciously relax all those muscles, which I can't do when distracted, which is a lot of the time, because I have other things to do all day besides think about whether I'm tense. Emotionally...fair, today. Husband is still sick. Kids are getting better, so went to two parks with them today. But joint pain makes me not feel like taking them anywhere where I'll have to walk around with them. Even though it might be good for me. My energy is a little better today, like maybe I'm starting to get out of the carb flu.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast