Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (kalewoman) page 2

SRMnM is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hope the family are on the mend.
    Do you take fish oil? You seem to have plenty of Omega-6 from the nuts but no mention of Omega-3's?

kalewoman is offline Member
    SRMnM: Thanks...the family does seem like they're on the mend. But feels like I might be getting what they've got. Hopefully not. Thanks for reminding me about fish oil. I had some, and took some tonight. I didn't even know almonds had a lot of omega-6 - you're smart.

B: a few raspberries from the farmers market; swiss chard sauteed in butter, 2 eggs, and a little chopped tomato

L: a few more raspberries, a small bowl of cantaloupe, a peach (how did I manage all fruit for lunch!)

S: salad with romaine, a little chicken, a little bacon, and tahini dressing

D: cooked collard greens with chopped up turkey bacon; a hot dog (grass-fed, organic) wrapped in a coconut pancake, scrambled egg w/zucchini and a tsp fish oil, a little salsa on top

Exercise: Somehow miraculously managed to get to sleep early last night, so woke up at 6 this morning and jogged for half an hour - felt AWESOME. Tried a few sprits, but immediately tweaked my knee slightly, so decided no sprints today. Then went home and did pilates and yoga for another 40 minutes before the kids woke up (they slept in...hooray!). Walked to and from the farmers market this morning and the "sprayground" this afternoon for a total of about 80 minutes of medium/slow walking (kids in tow).

I ought to figure out how to do some real weight training, maybe. But I really like Pilates and Yoga. Slight IBS in the morning today - could be because of yesterday's cheese stick, or maybe not. No allergies. Took the kids to the spray park - husband felt well enough to come with...so nice to have him back! Celebrated Father's Day...the kids made cardstock necktie bookmarks for Daddy and we got him a Star Wars Lego set to play with, with the kids of course. Mild joint pain in elbows, fingers, knees.

I seem to feel better with more vegetables and less meat. If I eat a meal that's just meat with no veggies, especially if the meat is BEEF, I tend to lose energy and really miss the veggies. Emotionally: REALLY GOOD today. After exercising this morning I felt absolutely fabulous and was ready for anything and everything. I thought how silly of me to have previously thought that I should wait until I have energy to exercise - rather, I should've just exercised to make the energy come! Energy: good all day, slight slump mid-afternoon when we got home from the sprayground, but otherwise very good.

My belly isn't getting any flatter on this diet. It's not like my stomach is so gross, and I'm not overweight, but it's ugly enough that it would not be attractive in a 2-piece swimsuit. But it's only been a week, so maybe I shouldn't worry. Besides, today is the only day I've exercised, out of those seven days. And honestly, the belly thing is the least of my concerns. The energy thing and the arthritic stuff are much more important. If Primal fixes or significantly helps my other issues without doing a thing to my body composition, it would still be worth it.

Feel like I'm getting a cough. Better go to bed early again tonight. I'd like to exercise again tomorrow morning like today - that was so awesome.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Have you considered the possibility that you may have Lymes or some other tick-borne disease?

If you have it and it's diagnosed, you can flood it with good antibiotics and most likely come out of it 100 percent; if you have it and it goes undiagnosed, it will get worse and worse... and that's bad news.

Worth a look.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    re the fish oil... I was reading (somewhere on the boards) about it and have realised that I am not taking anywhere near enough fish oil. so have started to up my intake, so if you have been forgetting you may want to increase yours quite significantly for a while as well.

oh oh hope you are not the next one in the family to get sick. When I first started a hard out exercise regime, I was hugely sick, it was kind of like the body was all inflamed from the exercise (sore muscles.. and i mean SORE) and it just couldnt fight the head cold I got. But after I recovered (and gave it the right amount of recovery time) I got straight back into it and was fine! So what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is keep up with the exercise but wait till you actually feel better.

gottaluvalab: Could I have been bitten by a tick without knowing it? Lyme's Disease would be bad. I have an appointment to see a doc tomorrow and have added that to my list of things to suggest we check for. Thanks.

Suse: Can you OD on fish oil? How much are you taking now? Thanks for the advice about the exercise. You are right. I will try not to overdo it. I feel okay today...still not sick...knock on wood!

Day 8

B: egg, swiss chard, half a tomato

L: handful almonds; salad of romaine, turkey bacon, and 2 oz buffalo!

S: a peach

D: another two handfuls almonds; swiss chard saute with raisins, toasted walnuts, and balsamic; 3 more oz buffalo meat

Exercise: Half hour of run/jog around the neighborhood. Came home, did pilates, yoga.

Bought fish oil tablets today, so can swallow it easily instead of trying to find ways to make the bottled oil palatable. Took two tablets. Knees were really good today. Elbow and fingers not so much - moderate pain basically all day. Made an appointment to see a doctor, for tomorrow afternoon. Going to ask if we can check my levels of c-reactive protein, vitamin d, and for Lyme's-causing bacteria antibodies. Also read on Mayo Clinic site that if I've got rheumatoid arthritis, taking zinc in addition to fish oil might help. The diet I was following previously was "Eat to Live" which, I learned only several months into the diet, that often people eating that way are deficient in zinc. I started trying to follow that program in January, and my elbow and finger joint issues started in February or March. Possibly a connection there.

Yesterday bought a buffalo steak at the farmers market. It was expensive ($15!). But it was really yummy. Cooked it on the stove with dry mustard, chipotle chili powder, and coriander, salt and pepper. Husband and kids had some too. I felt good after eating it, much better than those steaks from Costco we finally polished off. I'm a buffalo meat fan now. Also, swiss chard cooked with onions, raisins, walnuts, and balsamic vinegar is AWESOME.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalewoman View Post
    gottaluvalab: Could I have been bitten by a tick without knowing it? Lyme's Disease would be bad. I have an appointment to see a doc tomorrow and have added that to my list of things to suggest we check for. Thanks....
    Yes. Quite possible to be bitten and not realize it.

Lymes doesn't HAVE to be bad--but it does have to be caught and treated. I've become hyper-vigilant about it since a couple of friends have become ill from it. If their doctors had caught the (classic) symptoms and listened to them for 20 seconds, they could have been saved months of grief.

If your doctor thinks you're being a hypochondriac, shrug and say "test for it anyway, just in case." It probably isn't Lymes--but if it is, testing for it now could save you a whole lot of trouble!

Suse: Can you OD on fish oil? How much are you taking now? Thanks for the advice about the exercise. You are right. I will try not to overdo it. I feel okay today...still not sick...knock on wood!
    there was a calculator that was a link on a post somewhere on here that worked out how much you theoreticially needed.. It said I needed to take about 10 tabs a day...well that seems a bit extreme so I've upped from one a day to 3 a day and might work up to 5. I think if you take too much fish oil it can thin your blood a bit....

Suse, thanks. My calculation said I need 5-6 caps/day. Could I ask why you are taking fish oil? Do you have joint pain also? Or are you just taking it to be healthy?

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    a hot dog (grass-fed, organic) wrapped in a coconut pancake
    great idea. That just activated my hunger switch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast