Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is canola oil the healthiest seed oil? page

Timthetaco Guest

Is canola oil the healthiest seed oil?

Shop Now
    As far as the fatty acid profile goes, it's mostly monounsaturated, has the lowest PUFA of any seed oil (save for high oleic varieties of whatever-the-hell), and has a decent amount of ALA in it as well, though I know that's not a selling point for the Peat crowd. On the other hand, I know some of you aren't at all afraid of omega-6 (Neckhammer's a notable example). Expeller-pressed canola would be the obvious choice if we were to consume such a thing. We're health nuts here, after all!

I also wonder if canola oil was a necessary invention in the first place. There's a mountain of scientific literature suggesting rats shouldn't cook with rapeseed oil due to problems metabolizing erucic acid (in cardiac muscle, I believe?), but there haven't been any studies in humans demonstrating the same problem. Not that I'm aware of, anyway. I read a vague reference in an e-book to a study done in the early 20th century that showed humans metabolized erucic acid completely, but I haven't looked at the study itself. If indeed erucic acid isn't toxic to humans, as we're commonly led to believe, that would make rapeseed even healthier than canola oil, seeing as the high MUFA content from the erucic acid would further displace the PUFAs.

I know this is a controversial topic, but I figured there might be a few people here who could lend their superior knowledge of physiology and biochemistry to the subject. And let's face it, this place is god damn boring unless we're arguing about something. Let's argue about whether any plant fats can be healthy!

Thoughts?

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I would figure this out, but I'm too busy trying to determine the healthiest brand of cigarettes so I can start smoking.

Sent via lightsaber

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    And let's face it, this place is god damn boring unless we're arguing about something. Let's argue about whether any plant fats can be healthy!
    Sure, but why'd you have to pick the one oil that I'm fairly sure is universally demonized on this forum?

Ps, rapeseed = canola

blondiegreen is online now Senior Member
    Canola is the worst, as it's GMO. Try olive, grape seed or coconut.
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Martini is offline Member
    I know this is a controversial topic
    Actually I believe there is a huge consens here that canola oil is crap.

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    Wikipedia says that soybean oil has almost 3 times the O6 per tablespoon as canola, so by that metric I guess if you are in a restaurant and choosing between one or the other then canola would be a better choice. Still, it has 2.8 g of Omega 6 per Tbs, which is a pretty heavy dose.

Ratio of fatty acids in different foods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paul Jaminet recommends keeping total O6 intake between 2-3% of total energy intake, so on a 2,000 calorie diet that would be only 60 calories or about 6.7g of O6. It only takes a little over 2 Tbs of canola to hit that intake and a single Tbs of soybean oil will put you over the optimal range.

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blondiegreen View Post
    Canola is the worst, as it's GMO. Try olive, grape seed or coconut.
    Soybean oil is also GMO and contains significantly higher O6 than canola. Neither are optimal but canola would be a better choice if you don't have access to coconut or olive oil.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Using my skin as a litmus strip, I have found canola oil to NOT be boil-creating or irritating to my body. It's still, fundamentally, a bad idea to consume in my opinion, but I think the industry accidentally made canola less inflammatory and toxic than they meant to. I won't use it in daily cooking or anything, but on some dining occasions it was the only questionable ingredient and it did not bother me, even in a very large amount once.

Any amount of soybean oil for me is body-ache and boil/zit city.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I would figure this out, but I'm too busy trying to determine the healthiest brand of cigarettes so I can start smoking.

Sent via lightsaber
    Hehehehehe.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Wasn't canola tested to have the most trans fat? I remember some controversy where 2~4% could be rounded down to zero on US labels even though it's listed on exports. Not sure if expeller press addresses this but IMO any flavorless fat feels like a leap of faith--there's really no way to know what you're buying. Even if it were proved harmless I don't see the advantage over meat/dairy/fruit-derived fat.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast