Thread: Routine Help page

Canuck_Cam is offline Member

Routine Help

Primal Fuel
    Hey all. I'm looking to develop a really versatile routine. My goals are nothing specific, just to be very well rounded in terms of strength, skill work (ie bodyweight/gymnastics stuff) and to be able to be competitive in a spartan sprint.

I have a 40 pound sandbag, gymnastic rings, barbell and weights, pull up bar, and a few parks and playgrounds near by. I'm struggling to set a routine in place that can see me slowly progress at everything. Am I too diversified?

For what it's worth I've been working out about a year now. Deadlift 300 pounds, squat 215, bench 160, 5 km time at about 22 mins. I can't hold a handstand or any other static moves.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    If I were you, I'd do 5/3/1 with the barbell lifts (squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press), add in stuff like pullups, dips, and handstands for assistance, and then do a conditioning exercises at the end of each workout (sprints, farmers walks, sled drags). Strength has the most carryover of any athletic trait, so make getting stronger a priority over everything else. I hope that helped.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. I've found that backing off running and fixed bike training and just lifting some properly heavy stuff, my cardio conditioning has still gotten better. It makes sense, because if you ever take the time to measure your heart rate during max effort sets, it's through the freaking roof. A bunch of studies bear it out, but I'm too lazy to link to them. If you're looking to have a general improvement across the board through a lot of modalities with minimal time investment, there is a very strong argument for strength training based on compound lifts.

Also, hand walks using a wall for assistance (side to side along the length of the wall) are a great assistance exercise in general, but obviously of specific relevance if going for a handstand is a goal. To mix it up, if you did things like overhead press your sandbag (whether as a strength exercise or a metcon, depending on the weight you put in) that would be a great way to utilize it.

Your equipment level makes me jealous. Probably the easiest way to build a routine is have a hard and fast core group of lifts that doesn't change (5/3/1 like Jefferson suggested, or perhaps StrongLifts or something similar) and then give yourself varied assistance work. If you feel like using your rings for pull ups or dips for assistance, do that. If you'd rather use your sandbag for presses and curls, do that. I tend to vary my assistance work with my mood, and I've enjoyed working out more than ever that way and still made great gains.

Canuck_Cam is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thanks for the responses! They are both great. I think I may do three exercises a week. Each one with a lower compound and an upper compound heavy lift, followed by assistance work as stated. Some great ideas there! On days in between heavy sessions I may try out some met cons. I guess it isn't really that complicated, I just needed someone else to say it. Thanks!