Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking A Fast page

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Breaking A Fast

I just finished ~23hr fast, and I felt fairly okay during the whole day... Occasionally I will get nauseated and spacey, but otherwise I feel decent. I came home and broke my fast with a giant salad of iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and red peppers with probably less than a cup of taco beef and half of an avacado. Now I just feel tired, bloated and uncomfortable. Is this typical??? Was this a bad way to end a fast? I think I will go...Take a nap...;-)

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    It's an individual thing, but I personally find salad quite hard to digest. With the tomato, peppers and chilli seasoning you've got quite a bit of nightshades going on there. I'm allergic to avocado - could you have a bit of sensitivity to it?

Maybe something a bit blander would be wise - some plain chicken, cooked vegetables. Perhaps some macadamia nuts, and some coconut (whole not oil). Or a well-cooked omelette. (undercooked yolks disagree with some pple too)

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I don't end long fasts with BAS anymore because they make me feel bloated and yucky and then explode through me. (Sorry if that's tmi!) I tend to end 24 fasts with giant portions of some delicious fatty protein!!!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I think to break a fast it's best to keep it simple and easily digestible. That usually means a lot of meat for me. Just meat. Like it was back in the day . Or possibly some light plant material, berries or something but I'll take the meat.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I used to always end a fast with fruit; melon, banana, apple, pear, grapes, an orange. Not a lot though, a single banana was typical. Then wait an hour or so before really eating. Yesterday I did the same thing but with homemade beef jerky instead. It felt sort of primitive to end a fast with a preserved meat. Like the nomad rationing fuel on a long journey. My first meal is always something nutrient dense but not too bulky so salads had to wait. Lots of cooked greens and a piece of meat, and in the past that generally accompanied a tall glass of milk that always felt very nourishing to an empty belly.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    I break my 20-24 hr fasts with meat and fat, as I find raw veg or BAS to be a bit hard to digest, and not really what my body is wanting after the long span of time without foood. I eat the majortiy of my veggies on days when im not fasting because of this

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    I usually have a teaspoon of coconut oil, and then cook some dinner, which means I have a proper meal about an hour later. That oil prevents me from eating everything in sight after the fast so I'm not ravenous when I start to eat! I think if I ate quickly, I wouldn't feel so hot. My meal is usually a steak with some Boursin on top, or chicken breast stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, artichokes and goat cheese with a bok choy stir fry on the side. And then a few hours later some berries and cream or yogurt.

Wow, I can see I'm eating way too much dairy! At least my breakfast and lunch is usually dairy free--I'm a big fan of a BAS during the day but not so much at night.

Anyway, I highly recommend trying the coconut oil after a fast. Of course, I've only ever fasted for 18-22 hours. Probably won't ever do more than that because it's enough for me. I tend to fast more out of laziness/busyness than for weight loss or for health!

Stevoman is offline Junior Member
    I generally have something light straight after a fast , like a piece of fruit, and an hour or 2 later eat something more substantial , eggs, meat and vegetables.
    Every month I do a 3 day water fast and once I end that I am extremely hungry once I start eating. Its really hard not to eat everything in sight. I will try next time some coconut oil, thanks for the tip superdeluxe.
    primal jessejane , I think the best thing is to break your fast with a small amount of food thats easy to digest and to eat a bigger meal a couple of hours later.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
    My meal is usually a steak with some Boursin on top
    Boursin is amazing.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looks like this really is an individual thing. So...I'll say what I do.

I typically don't fast for much more than 16hrs and I pretty much always break it with a lot of fatty and meaty food. For example, a tablespoon of coconut oil, bacon, 4 eggs, a glass of raw milk, and then maybe even a breve latte. I tend to feel very full and incredible afterward. haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast