Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (sakecat22) page

sakecat22 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

My Primal Challenge goals:

- Long term goal is to get the fat% down to 25%. If I can get it down a few more percentage points over the course of this 30 day cycle, I will be happy. Currently at 32.2%

- Sleep better

- Stress (a LOT) less

I started cutting back the grains, potatoes and coffee a couple of weeks ago in an attempt to benchmark.

Starting CrossFit in June really hit the need for good nutrition home.

Keeping track of my food and activity using fitday.com

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...wner=sakecat22

I've been looking forward to this since last month. Can't wait to get started!

sakecat22 Guest

Challenges from 2 weeks of reducing grains, coffee, sugar and alcohol:

I find myself missing:

- Vietnamese Pho

- Tortillas (especially well-made corn tortillas)

- Rice

Interested to find myself NOT missing:

- bread

- potatoes

- pasta (other than the noodles in the aforementioned Pho)

- oatmeal

- crackers

- cakes

Coffee has been touch and go. Went through a few days of very high stress where people gave me coffee to help me "feel bettter." I LOVE coffee, it doesn't love me. Been replacing it most days with Green Tea.

Sugar is a bit of a tricky nut too. Black tea with milk and sugar is a definite weakness.

I also found with my carb reduction a strong desire for Klondike bars.

Alcohol is even trickier. I didn't realize how much I was drinking until I saw it baldly stated in the FitDay journal. And those 2 weeks, I was "taking it easy." Yikes!!!!

So I'm hoping that the community and feedback here will help me fine-tune some of these habits and ease further into the "Primal Lifestyle."

I look forward to chatting with you as we move on this journey together.

sakecat22 Guest

Breakfast - almonds, blueberries, a large pear, herbal tea with 1/2 tsp sugar. Not quite primal.

I may have yanked my right oblique sometime Saturday or Sunday. Probably a result of lots of ab-work the week prior + 3 days worth of bowling + going for a personal best in the back-squat (which may have been the final straw). Made it twice at 95 lbs. Fell back on the third. Haven't felt the same since.

Body is telling me to rest.

Got a fantastic night's sleep last night. A solid 9 hours.

Still hankering for a big ol' bowl of vietnamese noodle soup.

sakecat22 Guest

Some sleep last night - 5 solid hours + a fitful 2 more.

Don't feel super-tired, but it may catch up with me later.

Did morning CrossFit workout.

Lift heavy - 5 reps each 95 / 115 / 125

Sprint - 50 burpees

The oblique feels MUCH better.

My Kool-Aid + Emergen-C blend - NOT primal.

Eggs, bacon, apple, green tea - primal.

Today's planned lunch - chicken breast, tomatoes, avocado seasoned with lime....erm, not sure whether the tomatoes are primal or not.

sakecat22 Guest

HUGE carb craving this afternoon.

Want the Baby Ruths and Starburst in the "snack cabinet." Bad.

Wound up eating - almonds.

Took the edge off. Along with the sweetness from the SoBe Lifewater that is ostensibly naturally sweetened (natural being a very rough word for what's in here). Primal? Erm...no. Lower carbs? Yeah.

Houston....we have some work to do.

sakecat22 Guest

Gave into the carb craving yesterday. 1 beautifully made fresh corn tamale + 1 margarita. The margaritas from the mexican joint the SO and I ate at last night are usually much better made and taste better. This one was too sweet. And a bit slapdash.

Note to self - if you are going to "cheat" , cheat with the good stuff. Beautifully made, tamale with huge corn flavor and perfect texture -yes. Super sweet margarita (that should have been frozen) on ice with salt - no.

sakecat22 Guest

Doing better with Primal today.

Ceviche (seafood, onions and chiles in lime juice) and farmers market peaches with green tea for breakfast.

Chicken with tomatoes and avocado for lunch.

Carrots with sunflower seed butter (which, I'm hearing, may or may not be a good thing) for snacking).

Stopped by the Trader Joe's to pick up some dried fruit (pears and a cranberry/berry/pomegranate blend). No extra sulfur or sugar. Hopefully, that will assuage the evil sweet tooth.

sakecat22 Guest

Still doing OK - primal wise.

The moo shu from the chinese place - not the MOST primal, but pork and cabbage. No pancakes. The fat used may be questionable.

Getting ready to go on vacation. A real test of the changes I've made since we are going with a bunch of other folks on a houseboat. Fortunately, one of the couples has been doing South Beach recently. And we have fish (that we will hopefully catch) on the menu for Tuesday (with some home-grown veggies).

Could be an interesting experiment.

sakecat22 Guest

Went on vacation. Knew I would not be keeping food primal during it. Focused more on sleep, anti-stress and play. All worked well.

Had some yummy meals that were easily primal - particularly Tuesday night

- Striped bass we caught ourselves.

- Tomatoes from a friend's garden

- Roasted peppers

Lots of meat.

Unfortunately, also had LOTS of carbs - particularly of the alcoholic variety.

Got ample sleep once we got on the houseboat.

Lots of low level constant activity (golf, lots and lots of swimming, fishing, boating....)

Time with friends.

Lots of play.

The other important part of the Primal lifestyle.

My next task for this week - get back on the wagon with the carb reduction - especially the processed grains, white potatoes and sugar.

sakecat22 Guest

One of the more interesting things I noticed while I was on vacation - my sweet tooth had been recalibrated. Things that I wouldn't have flinched at (Arby's Jamoca shake, Lucky Charms, peanut brittle) seemed intolerably sweet to me. The jamoca shake also didn't sit terribly well. This is all a good sign and is making it much easier to get back on the wagon.

Today - eggs, yogurt, fruits, fish, tea and lots of water.

Tomorrow - if all goes well, back to the workout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast