Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red and Processed Meat Intake in Relation to Cancer Risk page

EricGrok is offline Junior Member

Red and Processed Meat Intake in Relation to Cancer Risk

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thoughts on this? A doctor who is very anti-paleo sent me this today.

A Prospective Study of Red and Processed Meat Intake in Relation to Cancer Risk

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It's no different from if I conducted an experiment of health outcomes feeding people a diet of cheese and broken glass. "Cheese causes intestinal bleeding and death!"

If you count all the fast food in existence as red meat, then yeah, red meat is unhealthy.

If you cut it back to stuff like steak, the cancer risks mysteriously disappear.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zmisst is offline Junior Member

zmisst is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    It's no different from if I conducted an experiment of health outcomes feeding people a diet of cheese and broken glass. "Cheese causes intestinal bleeding and death!"

If you count all the fast food in existence as red meat, then yeah, red meat is unhealthy.

If you cut it back to stuff like steak, the cancer risks mysteriously disappear.
    It is an nih study and they weren't that stupid. They found that both red and processed meats each were associated with higher cancer risks. The problem is that it is only an observational study. And yes, they included as red meat e.g., hamburgers from fast food restaurants which are not ideal sources of red meat and perhaps more importantly are normally eaten with fries and cokes.
    Last edited by zmisst; 12-29-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    I doubt it was a happy cow that grew up on green pasture though... :P

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Pretty much any kind of study that says "Eating red meat will make you die a painful a bloody death within minutes" is a study where they not only ask you to recall every food, and in exactly what amounts, you ate for the past 3 weeks or more. Not the most accurate way of doing a study.

And they lump in pepperoni (eaten on a dough crust), hot dogs (eaten on a bun) and hamburgers (eaten on a bun, with crap fries and a soda) in as "red meat". They're a bit ridiculous.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I used to roam about with a guy who kept pointing to the red meat / colon cancer thing. He'd had a chief in the USN who'd died of it when (the chief) was only about 30, so he'd gone vegetarian a while. He's unfortunately the type that doesn't really buy anything that says otherwise, and unfortunately he's very scatterbrained so I don't follow up much on it.

M.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Pretty much any kind of study that says "Eating red meat will make you die a painful a bloody death within minutes" is a study where they not only ask you to recall every food, and in exactly what amounts, you ate for the past 3 weeks or more. Not the most accurate way of doing a study.

And they lump in pepperoni (eaten on a dough crust), hot dogs (eaten on a bun) and hamburgers (eaten on a bun, with crap fries and a soda) in as "red meat". They're a bit ridiculous.
    The way to make pepperoni into a balanced meal is to have a stick of it in one hand, and a hunk of provolone in the other. I actually really didn't get the dough crust at first. It's been since July 2012 since I've had a pizza.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I had some last week. Wasn't very flavorful.

Speaking of pepperoni, can't find any around here that don't have BHT and the like in it. Lame.

M.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    The way to make pepperoni into a balanced meal is to have a stick of it in one hand, and a hunk of provolone in the other. I actually really didn't get the dough crust at first. It's been since July 2012 since I've had a pizza.
    I can't eat it! Same reason why I can't eat bacon, which is another heartbreaker.

But I will gladly steal the provolone out of your hand while you're distracted and run like the wind!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast