Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 272

Thread: Plus-Size Barbie page

  1. #1
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,937

    Plus-Size Barbie

    Shop Now
    Someone somewhere posted a rendering of what to me looks like an obese version of Barbie doll on FB, which has become a topic for contentious debate.

    Plus-Size Barbie Image Sparks Heated Debate

    Personally, I don't like the concept at all, I actually find it disturbing, but wouldn't be surprised to see it mass produced. Over the last few years I've been noticing more and more overweight actors appearing in commercials, TV shows and movies, not that watch much tv or follow pop culture closely anymore.


    So what do you think? Is the body type shown the kind little girls should aspire to?
    Last edited by Graycat; 12-28-2013 at 09:43 AM.

  2. #2
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Someone somewhere posted a rendering of what to me looks like an obese version of Barbie doll on FB, which has became a topic for contentious debate.

    Plus-Size Barbie Image Sparks Heated Debate

    Personally, I don't like the concept at all, I actually find it disturbing, but wouldn't be surprised to see it mass produced. Over the last few years I've been noticing more and more overweight actors appearing in commercials, TV shows and movies, not that watch much tv or follow pop culture closely anymore.

    So what do you think? Is the body type shown the kind little girls should aspire to?
    Do you think that Barbie dolls as they currently sell them should be what girls aspire to, with an 18" waist and surgically-enhanced boobs? Has a generation of girls become Barbie thanks to the ubiquitousness of this doll?

    I think that this plus-size doll is not the cause of obesity in this country. Eliminating this doll of which only one copy exists will not solve obesity, nor will preventing the manufacture and sale if there is demand.

    If it disturbs you that heavy people are able to get jobs in entertainment, I think the problem is with your attitude toward heavy people, not that heavy people are portrayed at all, because they in no way are represented proportional to their numbers in reality, and they are usually portrayed negatively.

  3. #3
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Do you think that Barbie dolls as they currently sell them should be what girls aspire to, with an 18" waist and surgically-enhanced boobs? Has a generation of girls become Barbie thanks to the ubiquitousness of this doll?

    I think that this plus-size doll is not the cause of obesity in this country. Eliminating this doll of which only one copy exists will not solve obesity, nor will preventing the manufacture and sale if there is demand.

    If it disturbs you that heavy people are able to get jobs in entertainment, I think the problem is with your attitude toward heavy people, not that heavy people are portrayed at all, because they in no way are represented proportional to their numbers in reality, and they are usually portrayed negatively.
    I never said that heavy people being able to get jobs in entertainment "disturbs" me, so no need for a straw man here.

    A plus-size doll would not be the cause of the obesity in this country, just a product of the fat acceptance. The latter is what I find quite unsettling.

  4. #4
    edennperez1's Avatar
    edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I never said that heavy people being able to get jobs in entertainment "disturbs" me, so no need for a straw man here.

    A plus-size doll would not be the cause of the obesity in this country, just a product of the fat acceptance. The latter is what I find quite unsettling.
    I find A LOT of things on TV personally offensive and disturbing. So what? Walking down the street, I find things personally disturbing and offensive. So what? Do I personally think an obese Barbie, in circulation, is as or more offensive than casual sex, smoking, child abuse/neglect, thoughtless marriage, or tax evasion? No. Do I think it will be something that little girls will strive for? Nope. Kids are a product of their homes. So if the parents are obese, sex fiend smokers, tax evaders, or bad tippers they'll likely be the same. Relax, it's not the end of the world.

  5. #5
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,846
    A plus-size doll would not be the cause of the obesity in this country, just a product of the fat acceptance. The latter is what I find quite unsettling.
    The unfortunate thing is that people treat fat people like assholes in this country and most of the time it is not justified. It seeps from being considered "not pretty" to being pegged as stupid, gross, etc. Yeah, fat women are TV, normally the butt of jokes, the unattractive friend or the subject of a diabetes ad. I think we are pretty far from glorifying fat women in society. I think acknowledging they exist is a good step forward.

    Graycat, I'm going to assume you've never been legit plus size. People are really mean to fat people. I spent most of my life fat, and the treatment as a now size 8/10 is stunningly different.

    Do we need fat Barbie, no. But given we have so many fat people, its probably a good thing they are represented in our media as the normal, decent human beings that they are, because a hell of a lot of people don't treat them with much dignity.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  6. #6
    turquoisepassion's Avatar
    turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,777

    Plus-Size Barbie

    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that people treat fat people like assholes in this country and most of the time it is not justified. It seeps from being considered "not pretty" to being pegged as stupid, gross, etc. Yeah, fat women are TV, normally the butt of jokes, the unattractive friend or the subject of a diabetes ad. I think we are pretty far from glorifying fat women in society. I think acknowledging they exist is a good step forward.
    People are brutal period. A lot of my thinner friends get called skinny bitch and anorexic all the time.

    Anything more than a few standard deviations from the perceived norm is going to get a lot of shit talk/criticism.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 12-28-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

  7. #7
    edennperez1's Avatar
    edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The unfortunate thing is that people treat fat people like assholes in this country and most of the time it is not justified. It seeps from being considered "not pretty" to being pegged as stupid, gross, etc. Yeah, fat women are TV, normally the butt of jokes, the unattractive friend or the subject of a diabetes ad. I think we are pretty far from glorifying fat women in society. I think acknowledging they exist is a good step forward.

    Graycat, I'm going to assume you've never been legit plus size. People are really mean to fat people. I spent most of my life fat, and the treatment as a now size 8/10 is stunningly different.

    Do we need fat Barbie, no. But given we have so many fat people, its probably a good thing they are represented in our media as the normal, decent human beings that they are, because a hell of a lot of people don't treat them with much dignity.
    VERY well said!

  8. #8
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,846
    Anything more than a few standard deviations from the perceived norm is going to get a lot of shit talk/criticism.
    It is true, but from what I've seen, thin women might be the recipient of anorexia comments, skinny bitch comments, but they simultaneously get the envy from a lot of women. My old co-worker Rachel is thin, and for every one comment about her having an ED she got 10 comments on how people wanted to be thin like her. I mean heck, I saw a below size 0 at anthro, and would call her unhealthy looking and sales people were gushing over her level of thin. No fat woman ever hears "OMG, I wish I could be that pudgy" or "I'd kill for your thunder thighs".

    I think overall its sad that the worth of so many women is frequently based on their body size. It's not really comforting to me how many clients seem to value me so much more now that I fill out a dress a little differently. I should do an experiment and diet down to a very low body fat and see at what point the insults/ignore/avoidance begins to happen to that end of the spectrum.

    http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

  9. #9
    photocat's Avatar
    photocat is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    51
    The cliche "you can never be to rich or too thin" exists for a reason. Overweight women will never be even remotely accepted in this vanity based society regardless of the toys so no need to worry -- the fat bashing and judging those by how they look can continue as it always has.

  10. #10
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Graycat, I'm going to assume you've never been legit plus size. People are really mean to fat people. I spent most of my life fat, and the treatment as a now size 8/10 is stunningly different.
    You are right, I've never really been a true plus size, however that doesn't mean I haven't been ostracized starting back in middle school because I didn't look like Kate Moss. Guess what, I toughed it out and it motivated me even more to take care of my appearance.
    I don't know why we (women particularly) hate each other that much. I realize it goes both ways, but I've witnessed countless instances where a woman sees beautiful, well proportioned and thin female, and immediately comments on "botox, plastic tits" and bunch of other cosmetic enhancements. Doesn't natural beauty exist? (Basically agreeing with what Tqp already said)

    Personally, I work very hard to maintain a decent appearance (US vanity size 2). I make sure I don't overeat, I eat the "right foods", I exercise regularly, wear nice clothes and some make up in public. etc. etc. Call me superficial, but I like taking care and pride in my appearance, and I find negative comments such as the ones mentioned above offensive and demeaning after all the hard work I put into all that.

    I'm sorry you had to endure bullying and whatnot when you were very overweight. I would never hate or torment someone merely because of their weight.

    But back to the topic at hand. Does anyone believe that the fat acceptance movement is doing anyone a favor? Even if we put aesthetics aside, what could possibly be positive about it? People would feel better about themselves while getting fatter and fatter, more and more sick. I'm not intending to be harsh, only trying to understand the logic and psychology behind it all.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •