Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Plus-Size Barbie page 8

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Oh lord. You have zero sense of humor. Jeez. You haven't really contributed much yourself other than hyperbolic misconstructions and the act of moving goal posts around, so not sure why I cannot post a meme I saved to my phone. Sorry my post wasn't the most enlightening thing you read on the mda forums today... XD

As for the comment, it isn't in this thread but posted on mda within the last 48 hours. No... Described person was not full of fake boobies. The reason I don't want to direct quote is because the person I would be quoting hasn't made a showing on this particular thread.
    I have a great sense of humor but I don't find making fun of other people in a hurtful way funny. I grew out of that in junior high school. Do you really think that picture of Dr. Phil brought anything useful or positive to this discussion? You seem nice so I don't think you were being intentionally hurtflul. If people were making comments in another thread that you found to be wrong, you should have said something in that thread if you thought it was important. Someone saying something inappropriate/offensive/or whatever in another thread does not make saying offensive things in this thread. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Why does anything need to be said to obese people? Why not just treat everybody the way their behavior warrants? Shaming people about their size is not the answer. You don't have to be positive about their size but being hurtful will not be helpful either. I bet if some people were not so ashamed of what they looked like, they might be more willing to ask for help.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Wow, so this is the first non-journal thread I've read in quite a while. And, I must say, wow! Oh, and hi everyone...miss you guys!

Now I must get back to work...

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Diene!!! Come back I miss you!! Well thankfully I have you on fb but still... Miss you on here.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think that perhaps we have a different idea of fat acceptance. For the most part, I don't think they are trying to make people think they are healthy or that they want people to want to be fat. I think they are just trying support their ability to lead a life without so many barriers. It's a compelling thought that we can perhaps force people to lose weight by only having small desks, charging more for insurance, not having cute plus size clothes and being honest that you didn't get the job because your ass was too big. I think it would work for a percentage. But for others, you are probably just make them even more closed off to the world.

Obviously, we should not be glamourizing or encouraging unhealthy behaviors (though we certainly encourage unhealthy practices in the pursuit of "thin").
    I understand. Your definition there, which is more like an absence of discrimination, is different than what I am talking about....I am referring to promotion or normalization, where we are advancing that there is absolutely nothing worth changing if one is morbidly obese. I think that is a sign of the apocalypse, if we are going to start promoting being sick as a role model.

Making fat people's lives easier = cool
    Making fat people as "this is just what people look like" = apocalypse
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Plus-Size Barbie

Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    I have a great sense of humor but I don't find making fun of other people in a hurtful way funny. I grew out of that in junior high school. Do you really think that picture of Dr. Phil brought anything useful or positive to this discussion? You seem nice so I don't think you were being intentionally hurtflul. If people were making comments in another thread that you found to be wrong, you should have said something in that thread if you thought it was important. Someone saying something inappropriate/offensive/or whatever in another thread does not make saying offensive things in this thread. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Why does anything need to be said to obese people? Why not just treat everybody the way their behavior warrants? Shaming people about their size is not the answer. You don't have to be positive about their size but being hurtful will not be helpful either. I bet if some people were not so ashamed of what they looked like, they might be more willing to ask for help.
    Lmao.

Wow.

Did you really just make a "omg that was so junior high" insult? Lolllll.

1. Passive aggressive remark about you being oh-so-mature and me so not. Ironically, using a personal attack on me along with saying how awesomely nice you are. Aren't you the saint! Everyone be nice to everyone except to people with "gross" opinions!

2. Wow way to once again grossly misconstrue what I said.

Where the hell did I personally make fun of someone? The meme??? Who was I making fun of? You?

Where did I advocate shaming someone about his/her size?

3. So many assumptions that have zero basis ("I bet..." ).

4. I don't care about the "mean" comment regarding fake boobies. I brought it up because insults like that are okay but mentioning of obese Barbie being disturbing is not okay. Hence, I didn't want to be the PC police...because I am not the one who thinks we should all just frolic in fields dripping with rainbows and acceptance, hold hands and dance to the sound of PC commentary, and live happily ever after.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 12-29-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think that is a sign of the apocalypse, if we are going to start promoting being sick as a role model.
    Well, physically for women, role model bodies are basically un-obtainable by any means, other than perhaps surgical intervention at this point given the amount of photoshop. The bus left the station long ago on that issue.... I mean, what is more offensive, a fat girl in a bikini in an ad or a "heroin chic" model with a little added photoshop to make extra sure she has no bulges?

Yeah, there are a few attempts on blogs here and there that try and make obese women glamourous. And there is the whole "plus size" model trend, women that are generally a healthy weight, but pretty tall (and probably the best representation of healthy body). But you know for every one image of a woman with rolls being portrayed as "pretty" or god, forbid, healthy, there are 1,256,768,976 images of women on the thin side of healthy, of which probably half have been photoshopped into un-natural forms.

In terms of helping or hurting, I'm venturing to guess that blogs that promote body acceptance are probably more likely to empower a young woman to go be active, try new things and build some of the esteem and confidence often needed to make big health changes than they are to encourage a young woman to let herself go and get fatter.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    ...White privilege...

... I want to throw up.

More College Admissions Secrets - The Daily Beast
    (Students lie about their ethnicities in college applications)
    Researchers: Colleges should count gays, but fake homosexuals remain significant problem | The Daily Caller
    (Pretend to be homosexual)

Now tell me, is there ever a case in history which people actively try to join the "oppressed" class? Doesn't sound too oppressed to me, quite the opposite in fact. Or, is this another case of "white privilege"? Everything is the fault of white people, but, at the same time, this is actually white privilege and we have all sorts of invisible benefits based on the color of our skin. Like this:

Indoctrinating your elementary school age children:

Those who came to this country in recent decades from Asia(who are disproportionately overrepresented in all fields that make money, is this privilege unchecked? More on Asians later), Latin America and Africa suffered no discrimination from our government, and are frequently the beneficiaries of special government programs. How is this not moving towards discrimination against whites? The journey of white American cultures is immensely diverse, that there is no logic whatsoever to dictate that they can be grouped together for the purpose of inane public policy. Going even further back, to the height of slavery(since this is a lovely scape goat liberals and minorities alike like to us), 1860, less than 1% of whites owned slaves. In fact, only the very rich could own slaves. What's that, the movies that dictated 3-4 black slaves in every white house, regardless of apparently social work is wrong? Yes. It's very wrong. Look into history, that's not the intentionally omitted history books that they spoon feed your helpless children in order to get them to feel very, very guilty about being white despite not partaking in that at all, obviously. In fact, the origin of the word slave comes from the Slavics(white people) who were enslaved for far longer and in much greater quantity.

Even still, focusing only on blacks, in history, why not compensate them directly then? Why has this affirmative action moved to all non-whites? What is the reason? "White privilege"? You mean, this invisible package of supposed privilege that every white male is born with is the cause of their success and not all the hard work the founding fathers and previous members of society put in to shape the country into what it is. Tell me, if white people are so oppressive and awful, why do the colored people simply not just leave and get away from all the horrible white people that are holding them down? Why not just ship us all away to our own country, state, whatever?

On stereotypes and why they're not a tool of "oppression": why does no minority fear for their lives when entering an all white neighborhood? Why does no one lock their car door when a white man crosses the street? Why does no one clench their wallet, or avoid eye contact when I walk by them? Why do they do the opposite of those things in case of blacks? Could it be that the stereotypes are true? Could it be that they're largely overrepresented in prison populations? I've honestly seen white guilt liberals try to explain that away as a system whites set up to trap minorities in poor populations where they commit crime. How come then, that even lumped Hispanics(who commit a very large amount of crime too) in with whites, do blacks still commit by far more crime despite making up such an insignificant portion of the population? Now, you may say the above is "white privilege", so I'll shoehorn in what you guys like to call our "model minority". Every example above can be said of Asians too, why is no one telling them to check their privilege?

I'm going to leave it at this, but I have many more things to add to this rant. Talking about "white privilege" as some systematic casual factor for all problems is pointless and discriminatory against whites. Open your eyes.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 12-29-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Lmao.

Wow.

Did you really just make a "omg that was so junior high" insult? Lolllll.

1. Passive aggressive remark about you being oh-so-mature and me so not. Ironically, using a personal attack on me along with saying how awesomely nice you are. Aren't you the saint! Everyone be nice to everyone except to people with "gross" opinions!

2. Wow way to once again grossly misconstrue what I said.

Where the hell did I personally make fun of someone? The meme??? Who was I making fun of? You?

Where did I advocate shaming someone about his/her size?

3. So many assumptions that have zero basis ("I bet..." ).

4. I don't care about the "mean" comment regarding fake boobies. I brought it up because insults like that are okay but mentioning of obese Barbie being disturbing is not okay. Hence, I didn't want to be the PC police...because I am not the one who thinks we should all just frolic in fields dripping with rainbows and acceptance, hold hands and dance to the sound of PC commentary, and live happily ever after.
    Not running and hiding as you said elsewhere. Enjoying evening of football with Hubby. Also not going to continue adding to the very negative place this thread is going. You are right, I was doing what I accused you of and that was wrong. Btw, my second paragraph was not directed to you but was a general response to several other posts. Time for dinner and more football. Enjoy the evening with your family.

Lol I see. You have time to read my journal but not to respond to exactly where I said x and y as you accused me of. Okay sure whatever.

XD

Anyway we are chill. I don't really care...too lazy to care. It is my law school break and I don't really care for long-winded arguments.
    ------

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    lol astonishing. The doublethink they showcase is baffling, and they don't even know they're doing it either.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    lol astonishing. The doublethink they showcase is baffling, and they don't even know they're doing it either.
    Your avatar appears to be a 12 year old on meth, and you say other people are practicing doublethink?

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast