Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Plus-Size Barbie page 7

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    The fact that it is NOT openly ridiculous to make such a one-to-one is further proof of just how off the reservation political correctness has gone, in that by its very definition there is no boundary to its domain....under this thinking, almost anything can be taken as cause of sympathy and societal action, regardless of its merits of actual discrimination. Being shorter or taller than average, of any descent but white Protestant, being from a non-legacy family, having large or small noses, it could go on forever. Everyone gains the ability to write their own sob story of prejudice.
    This is a continuum fallacy.

The reality is that society has to understand that there are TWO distinct kind of personal outlier:
    1) Differences of purely genetics, with ZERO choice involved: race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, age.
    2) Differences that are a mix of the factors above and choices: hair style, education level, obesity, clothing, articulation, writing ability, pretty much EVERYTHING ELSE that makes us different.
    Except that obesity is ill-defined and can be genetic.

Generally, people see obesity as a "to the eye" standard -- "i think you're fat, or too fat, and therefore obese." Whereas, obese is actually a medical term that refers not to weight, but a combination of symptoms and illnesses of which the weight can causal part or the weight could be a symptom of the illness.

From a genetic standpoint, a person has no more control over that aspect of body size than they have control over their race or sex. Therefore, it is comparable under your own standard (that it must be genetic).

To be against political correctness, (snip) makes us lack any definable cultural norms, which undermines any standards we would have toward behavior. This makes us have NO culture, no norms at all, and that lack of any boundary is a pretty terrifying prospect. We are already seeing it now.
    Slippery slope fallacy.

---

The reality of acceptance is simple: you simply see that the sky is blue and accept that it is. You don't have to know how it is blue, why it is blue, or the relative value of it's blue-ness as compared to other blue-things or other non-blue-things. You simply go "it is blue."

When you see a fat person, or an obese person, instead of assuming that they are lazy, bad people who have no socially redeeming values or talents, who are sitting around eating junk food, have no self-respect, no self-control, no self-discipline, etc etc etc, you simply see a person.

From there, you have possibility and openness to that person. You treat them with dignity and respect rather than disgust.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    One of my husband's ex-girlfriends would lift weights and run every day, have 2 pots of coffee, one bagel, one can of tuna, and cigarettes. She looks great, but she's very unhealthy. She's malnourished, has fertility problems and heart problems.
    So, a fit-looking body doesn't a healthy-person make.

But, her health problems and how she treats her body and all that stuff -- it's none of my business, really. She's a cool person. I accept her -- weird eating disorder and all -- and because of that, I have the opportunity to relate to a cool person.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Plus-Size Barbie

Funny how comments like "omg she looks like she came from the Botox and implants operation" (more or less exact phrasing) gets zero backlash on this forum board...

...and yet someone honestly asking everyone's opinion on what they think of an obese Barbie (along with her own inserted personal opinion) gets everyone riled up.

Calm down. Jeez. My one and only point is we shouldn't all have to be coating every opinion in sugar and stepping on eggshells so no one gets their delicate feelings hurt. I don't mean we should all go out and insult each other to make us all tougher human beings. XD

People taking everything so personally... Lighten up.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 12-29-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    This was introduced as a serious subject and there have been many well thought out responses. This has been an interesting conversation for the most part. No one is asking for people to walk on eggshells, just to treat others with respect. The Dr. Phil picture is not real kind or respectful and doesn't add much to the conversation.

Where did someone make a Botox and implant comment, other than you earlier? I have not seen one made but I don't read everything. If there was, maybe there was Botox and fake boobs involved?

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    We guys struggle with body image, too . Brb, I'm going to the gym to work arms, chest, back, legs, shoulders, and abs.

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    There should be healthy medium between approval of unhealthy behavior, and mean criticism thereof. It's a bit of a false dichotomy to suggest that the choice for the treatment of the fat girl is:

"You're perfect the way you are and should be proud of yourself."

Or

"You're a disgusting fat fuck and should be ashamed of yourself."

Don't treat others like shit, but don't tell people they're perfect when they're killing themselves.

TheyCallMeLazarus is online now Senior Member
    @ Zoebird

It would be better if I didn't get my intelligence insulted via the invincible "let's show the argumentative tools the other person is using to defeat their argument" idea. Yes, I have read Carl Sagan's piece too that all of those phrases were invented. Let's get past it. Also, what I described is not, by its true definition, a "continuum falacy". I am suggesting an equal application of logic, something which is commonly done in argumentation.

-- Obesity is a medical term that is defined, if we want to get specific, solely by BMI. In the VA system, a patient gets "obesity" added onto their "problem list" if their BMI was over a certain number. You cannot say that obesity is "ill-defined", and then in the following paragraph give a medical definition (which is wrong, btw).
    -- You are 100% correct that body type and size are genetic, in the sense that people are ectomorphic, meso, or endomorphic by genetics....but being endomorphic, a person that is typically larger and puts both muscle/fat on easier, is not the same thing as being 50% BF.
    -- Understand that many circus exhibits even 100 years ago often had, as a display, a person that was 270lbs and up. Today these are commonplace.
    -- Please list the genetic diseases that obesity is an unavoidable symptom....to my mind, there are about 4-5 that have much any prevalence, mainly Cushing's.

Overall, I am amazed at how, even in the paleo community, there are still defenders for "fat acceptance".

Forgive me if I am wrong (or point out a Sagan name for it), but I was under the impression that the ENTIRE POINT of paleo was people stating that we are NOT meant to be the way that many of us are. If you read the PB, the Paleo Manifesto, the PhD, or much any other paleo book, the central premise is that we are not meant to be so fat and sick, that we are only that way because we have become that lost over everything....if we are now going to say that "no, it's genes" that make my average patient 300+ and diabetic, then I must be doing a really good job of reversing this inevitable genetic doom....which is it, in other words?

Lastly, it is MORE of the PC tendency to say that because I point out that being fat is unnatural, unhealthy, and that society should not be accommodating things which are clearly thus, is equal to discrimination or to "treat them with disgust"....this is done all the time, where simply pointing out reality is prejudicial. I don't think we should look at fat people as sub-human or disgusting....I am pointing out that we should not encourage it and portray it as desirable or normal. In a similar way, I don't see Miley Cirus or their legion of increasingly slutty celebrities as sub-human....I am just suggesting that we should not point to their behavior as normal.

I will wake up tomorrow, dig my car out of the snow we are getting, and drive to work to help sick, fat people turn their life around.....if one is telling me that my recognition of how they got into their situation (they made bad decisions), and that our remedy, in my office or this site, is to help get out of their situation via making good decision is all false, then what is anyone doing here?

Genes make you fat.....but here is website with a lot of advice to help you turn it around?
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Overall, I am amazed at how, even in the paleo community, there are still defenders for "fat acceptance".
    I think that perhaps we have a different idea of fat acceptance. For the most part, I don't think they are trying to make people think they are healthy or that they want people to want to be fat. I think they are just trying support their ability to lead a life without so many barriers. It's a compelling thought that we can perhaps force people to lose weight by only having small desks, charging more for insurance, not having cute plus size clothes and being honest that you didn't get the job because your ass was too big. I think it would work for a percentage. But for others, you are probably just make them even more closed off to the world.

Obviously, we should not be glamourizing or encouraging unhealthy behaviors (though we certainly encourage unhealthy practices in the pursuit of "thin").

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Plus-Size Barbie

Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    This was introduced as a serious subject and there have been many well thought out responses. This has been an interesting conversation for the most part. No one is asking for people to walk on eggshells, just to treat others with respect. The Dr. Phil picture is not real kind or respectful and doesn't add much to the conversation.

Where did someone make a Botox and implant comment, other than you earlier? I have not seen one made but I don't read everything. If there was, maybe there was Botox and fake boobs involved?
    Oh lord. You have zero sense of humor. Jeez. You haven't really contributed much yourself other than hyperbolic misconstructions and the act of moving goal posts around, so not sure why I cannot post a meme I saved to my phone. Sorry my post wasn't the most enlightening thing you read on the mda forums today... XD

As for the comment, it isn't in this thread but posted on mda within the last 48 hours. No... Described person was not full of fake boobies. The reason I don't want to direct quote is because the person I would be quoting hasn't made a showing on this particular thread.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

diene is offline Senior Member
    Wow, so this is the first non-journal thread I've read in quite a while. And, I must say, wow! Oh, and hi everyone...miss you guys!

Now I must get back to work...

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast