Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My mother-in-law's husband drinks cows milk. How could I help him? page 2

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Depending on your needs; cow milk can be a great food - unless you are obese or very overweight of course! So no, an obese person would be better off without milk in most cases, infact they will do better without ANY food, since they already carry so much food stored in their bodies...
    Aha!

Off to try gorbag's no food diet.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    I'm a fermented dairy user, freely admit it. As for a glass of straight milk, don't touch the stuff.
    However I'm guessing that the in-laws are eating the usual SAD diet and stuffing in the carbs/grains and low fat cookies.

You've got a long strange trip to convert them, but have at it. Film it as a reality TV show.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I've spent this week at my brother's house. His wife bought 3 gallons of raw cow's milk in anticipation of my visit, since I don't have a good source back home. I've had a lot of raw milk this week, and I feel like a champion.

Sent via lightsaber
    What a treat! that was so kind of her.

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseB View Post
    I'd try that no food diet, except with hypoglycemia, you have to eat so your blood glucose stays elevated, or risk going into a diabetic coma....No thanks. I'm not ready to die yet. Switching to primal and getting rid of all the grains has helped immensely in how often I have to eat. :P
    Wish I had a link to the study. They hooked a morbidly obese man up to a dripontaining vitamins & minerals (& I'm guessing something to stablise bg) & he only had water to drink for a year.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I've spent this week at my brother's house. His wife bought 3 gallons of raw cow's milk in anticipation of my visit, since I don't have a good source back home. I've had a lot of raw milk this week, and I feel like a champion.

Sent via lightsaber
    Ooh, thanks for reminding me! I'm visiting my mom today and it's legal in her state!

Now how to keep from getting busted for smuggling milk across state lines...
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Depending on your needs; cow milk can be a great food - unless you are obese or very overweight of course! So no, an obese person would be better off without milk in most cases, infact they will do better without ANY food, since they already carry so much food stored in their bodies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    Wish I had a link to the study. They hooked a morbidly obese man up to a dripontaining vitamins & minerals (& I'm guessing something to stablise bg) & he only had water to drink for a year.
    Despite the common misconception that all a morbidly obese person needs to do is stop eating until they are thin, eating disorders are extremely unhealthy and kill both those who are underweight and overweight. It is quite possible for a morbidly obese person to die from starvation long before they lose the last of their excess fat. Doctors have tried all sorts of weird supplementation programs to counteract the sometimes fatal side effects of starvation diets, but any program that does not feed a person 100% of the protein they need will have serious side effects rather than leading to improved health.

Quote Originally Posted by fitnessfanatic View Post
    He is 52 years old and obese. He jokes about it with me. He tells me when he was younger he looked like Gilligan now he looks like the Skipper. They were over at my house for Christmas and also my wife's grandparents. They also drink cow's milk. His name is Rob by the way.

I really did cringe when my mother-in-law walks over to her husband and hands him a small glass of milk and she has one too. My mother-in-law got diagnosed with osteopenia about six years ago. I was going to joke around with her. I was going to tell her Janae you've been drinking cow's milk your whole life. How do you have osteopenia? You should have bones of steel! I changed my mind though.

My wife's grandma was really surprised when I told her I don't drink milk. Oh by the way Rob is also a type 2 diabetic. He did tell me that he also drinks almond milk as well. Which is good news.

I want my wife's family to live long healthy lives. What I can show them to prove that cow's milk is bad for you? Also I'm not sure how drinking cow's milk affects a type 2 diabetic.

If anyone has any studies, videos or anything else to provide. I will be most grateful.

It's just sad to see my wife's grandma take 10 pills before eating her dinner.
    Your name is fitnessfanatic. If you see yourself as a fanatic and are proud of this, you need to lighten up.

Not everyone's ill health and not every disease was caused by or can be cured by diet. Everybody's going to get sick and die in the end. There is no diet or exercise program that will lead to immortality.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Aha!

Off to try gorbag's no food diet.
    Not for you turquoisepassion, Gorbags “no food diet!” is only for people that carry a super marked of foods stored in their bodies! Yeah, sometimes no food at all may be less torturous than a restricted diet of less food…

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Despite the common misconception that all a morbidly obese person needs to do is stop eating until they are thin, eating disorders are extremely unhealthy and kill both those who are underweight and overweight. It is quite possible for a morbidly obese person to die from starvation long before they lose the last of their excess fat.
    Nonsense, people with enough body fat will normally not starve, they may mess up their electrolytes if not getting enough water and minerals though. People have water fasted for more than a year before, so nothing new about that…

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Since he has diabetes, this comes down to what most things do--testing with his meter. Also depends on what his goals are. If he is on insulin then he can cover the spike that dairy does cause with that. I don't consider that healthy and thus avoid cows milk. At minimum he should be limiting it and that has nothing to do with it being primal or not.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nonsense, people with enough body fat will normally not starve, they may mess up their electrolytes if not getting enough water and minerals though. People have water fasted for more than a year before, so nothing new about that…
    While you're correct that they won't starve, they'll lose a lot of muscle mass - because fat does not have everything the body needs, it will break down muscle - and completely wreck their metabolism. Prolonged fasting is not normal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast