Thread: Push-up form question. Hand pressure page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Push-up form question. Hand pressure

Primal Fuel
    When doing push-ups I've always put all the weight on the wrist, and then tensed my thumb muscles and other local padding to elevate the bones slightly off the ground. Then my fingertips touch the ground a bit, creating a mild grip. The distal metacarpal joints are basically floating in the air at the top of an arc. Is this proper contact with the ground? Should I be using the whole palm of my hand instead of just my wrist? I sometimes do fingertip push-ups and other variations, too. I'm wondering specifically about standard form.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    "Standard form" would be whole hand touching. But I like using dumbells in neutral grip, fist, and fingertips......all these reduce the hyperextension on the wrist. I do a lot of work that hyperextends my wrists already so I limit it when working out any way I can.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    K. I'll work on whole hand touching.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    I read one of the pre eminent body weight exercise writers explain it thus: hands flat, with thumbs directly pointed at the other thumb (makes your hand rotate inwards a little). You then rest your nipples on your the tips of your thumbs (this gives correct hand placement). You have your upper arm at a 45deg angle away from your body (not 90 degrees). When you lift your body you try rotate your hands out wards which gives you lift and drive and engages the shoulder. Hope that helps mate.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    After a long time doing pushups for the Army, I now do them like you described. I've found that maintaining an arch structure like a foot works really well for me. With a little bit of rotational tension, the majority of the weight goes through the wrist and along the outside edge of the palm. Fingers curve a bit and dig into the ground.

Hands flat makes me think of people with flat feet and collapsed ankles, who are usually overweight and always weak in that area.
    Last edited by jfreaksho; 12-28-2013 at 06:18 AM.

nburgraff is offline Member
    For proper form you also need to keep your pelvis from touching the ground. Your torso makes contact but your pelvis stays level which keeps it off of the ground. That engages your core a bit more and prevents the "worm" look that some people get doing pushups.

JimenyKrickets is offline Senior Member
    My wrists never feel right doing traditional pushups. I prefer knuckle pushups.
    Male / 6'0" / 165lbs.
    Eats a lot: beef, liver, eggs, spinach and beef
    Eats a little: berries, chocolate and potatoes
    Drinks: scotch
    Exercise: miles of walking and compound barbell lifts
    Hobbies: music, hot rods, rollin' with the homies and bustin' caps.