Thread: Back Pain and Getting Someone Started With PB page

miniGrokette is offline Member

Back Pain and Getting Someone Started With PB

Shop Now
    Greetings PB Family!

I hope everyone had a great holiday that was slightly less self-indulgent than my own. I'm here to ask what approach anyone has tried when introducing PB to a family member? My dad has a degenerative back problem and is often in a lot of pain. He has wanted to lose weight for sometime now, and this week his doctor finally told him that he needs to lose weight and gain stronger stomach muscles to relieve some of the pain.

My dad is reluctant to call it a new year's resolution, but he wants to start 2014 off on the right foot. I don't think I could get him to read the whole PB book. I want to send him a few great articles and success stories that will inspire him to try this. Does anyone have any favorites?

Also, my dad loved doing Taikwondo when he was a little younger. I told him he should consider doing that as a form of exercise instead of just spinning his wheels at the gym, and he said Taikwondo would be painful for him now. Does anyone have any suggestions for something for someone with chronic back pain?

Thanks!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator

Sonoran hotdog is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miniGrokette View Post
    Also, my dad loved doing Taikwondo when he was a little younger. I told him he should consider doing that as a form of exercise instead of just spinning his wheels at the gym, and he said Taikwondo would be painful for him now. Does anyone have any suggestions for something for someone with chronic back pain?
    Tai Chi is a gentle martial art that he could do even with back problems. As Namelesswonder mentioned, yoga would be wonderful for him but my guess is if he was into taekwondo he is probably too macho for Downward Dog.

I made a New Years resolution a year ago to go to the gym 3x/week. I find if I make a resolution that just requires that I *do* something, i can stick to it. If I make a resolution to "lose xx pounds" there are too many variables, and I bail quickly.

Maybe you could convince your dad to "go to Tai Chi classes 3x/week for 3 months" that might be an achievable goal?