Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The weight loss ads have begun....grrr page 2

oxide is offline Senior Member
    My organic grocery store is in the same shopping center as the a Gold's Gym. I dread navigating the parking lot for the next month.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Some people take a weightloss/fitness plan more seriously if they make a financial commitment. I'm that way. I pay $100 a month for CrossFit and damned if I am going to waste money by not going.
    The financial commitment is a big contributor to the success of name brand weight and fitness programs.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    YOU SAID IT!! So stupid. It's called eating high protein and healthy fats and non starchy veggies! COMMON PEOPLE!!!! If it were rocket science, you'd have to go to school for it!!!!!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Damn, I will once again have a hard time finding space in my gym's parking lot, which will be filled with the empty promises of 1 month's worth of human resolve. I dislike how this happens in winter, when I have no choice but to exercise indoors. :|

Artemis67 is online now Senior Member
    I love not having TV. I don't have to see the same stupid ads.

That said, I never paid to be on a diet plan. I've always been a lone wolf, so the group support thing didn't appeal to me. And, if the conventional dietary advice at the time was correct, how hard was it to weigh/measure your food, cut fat, and keep your calories below a certain limit? Sure, it took a bit of effort, but it wasn't exactly rocket surgery.

Too bad lowfat CW didn't work, and I just ended up hungry, cranky, bedeviled by cravings, and ready to binge again. Because damn it, I knew how to do it.

So no Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutri-System, or Opti-Fast. I couldn't afford them, anyway. I never drank Slim-Fast, or went on the Cabbage Soup diet, or the Master Cleanse. As a teenager, I did order some diet pills from the back pages of a magazine, but the first time I took them I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest, so I threw them away.

I wanted to lose weight so badly--and I wanted to lose it fast. But somehow, I knew that the only way that worked was by restricting calories, paying attention to what I ate, and getting some exercise, and that promises to lose weight fast were just that. I was really skeptical. Plus, I didn't want to spend what little money I had on anything that wasn't certain to work. The speedy "diet pills" not only made my heart race; they left me feeling like an idiot for falling for ridiculous promises in the first place. I wasn't about to make that same mistake again.

I did eventually pay $.69 at Goodwill for a paperback copy of Atkins' New Diet Revolution, however, which turned out to be exactly what I needed at the time. But the only reason I did it was because enough people around me were actually losing weight by following it. And that was the first (and last) weight-loss diet book I'd ever bought.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    THe closest I've ever came to paying someone else for me to lose weight was some diet book that advised cutting fat to 10% total intake and cutting calories. I paid a whopping dollar for it at the used book store. It's also the only nonduplicate book I've ever donated to Goodwill.
    I tried CW for quite a while. I never cut out meat, but I did curtail it during the day for quite a while so I could eat some at dinner. Even in my low fat days, I still had a thing for whole foods and minimal processing. "Low fat" versions were high in sugar and low in satiety, so I just ate more raw veggies. I rarely bought something with ingredients in it I couldn't identify.
    I tried some thyroid helper diet, that one didn't last long. Low fat, low protein? Not happening.
    I refused to do the various fasts or juice cleanses. Seemed a great way to lose money, water, and not much else.
    Once I really gave primal a true try, not the half assed one I did before my wedding, I was pleasantly surprised. It helped, but there were still problems that weren't being touched.
    Then I discovered what the lifelong mystery food allergy I have was and my weight plummeted 10 lb in a matter of weeks and all the problems went away.
    So, now sulphite free paleo is my path.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't care about the ads. It's the gym tourists that piss me off this time of year.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The January joiners are part of most gym's business plan. Depending on their contracts, most will pay for between three and 24 months while really only using the facility for a month or two. Plus whatever "join fee" the gym can charge.

It's like all the home use treadmills that eventually are only used to hang wet towels on. Best place to buy home exercise equipment is yardsales/craigslist. I'm getting Costco emails for fitness equipment daily.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have to admit, I bailed on my gym membership a while ago because I wasn't using it (physically active job) and I was trying to cut expenses. But I got laid off, so now I'm sitting on my ass all day, looking for work.

Then they sent me a flyer about a new Planet Fitness nearby that I could join for $10 a month, so I went for it and signed up online. Bright and early the next morning, I got dressed, put my hair in a ponytail, grabbed a towel and a water bottle, then headed down to start working out.

Um... it was a PRE Grand Opening special. It's not open for another month.

I'm a freaking genius.

But I do see why people wait until after the holidays. I mean, I think the whole New Years resolution thing is lame, but I changed my diet again about a month ago, and it probably wasn't the best timing. The Boyfriend had his whole family over for Christmas Eve (mostly a bunch of grandkids) so he made pizza, breaded chicken tenders, taquitos, cookies and brownie. As he's telling the menu, I'm thinking "I can't eat any of that." So I made meatballs, and I hardly got any of them. Bad food choices ensued shortly after, and I'm just getting back to eating right today.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

DeniseB is offline Member
    I joined Gold's Gym once and ditched it because I was walking 5 miles a day, which also included during work. That was years ago, and I got down to the smallest I've ever been (118lbs). I have never tried any other type of diet system that required money. For the past two years, I've changed my eating habits before Thanksgiving and lost weight over the holidays. I'm seeing better (faster) results going high protein/high fat than I've seen with high carb/low fat. I need to buy a set of weights, and would like a balance ball, and then I'll have "my" version of a home gym.
    SW: 205
    CW: 205
    GW: 140

Measurements as of 12/23 Measurements as of 12/29
    Neck 15.75 15.5
    Arms L/R 15/14.5 14.5/14.5
    Ribs 39.5 38.5
    Hips 49 47.5

Diet Calculator

My journey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast