Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Killing dinner page

Hannakb is offline Senior Member

Killing dinner

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am lucky enough to be able to keep some chickens. Some have gone clucky from time to time so we have put fertil eggs under them & have then eaten some of the roosters.
    For Christmas we bought a live duck from down the road. I posted a picture of it live with the heading Christmas dinner.
    I had serveral people write No you can't.
    It was never intended as a pet (the man sells them knowing they will probably be eaten)
    Are people that removed from their food?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    I am lucky enough to be able to keep some chickens. Some have gone clucky from time to time so we have put fertil eggs under them & have then eaten some of the roosters.
    For Christmas we bought a live duck from down the road. I posted a picture of it live with the heading Christmas dinner.
    I had serveral people write No you can't.
    It was never intended as a pet (the man sells them knowing they will probably be eaten)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Yes, they (we) are. If I lived near, I would join you for dinner! I have NO problem eating the animals that God gave us to eat. I'm not going to snatch my neighbors dog and roast him, just a duck or chicken or other nameless animal! LOL! I see nothing wrong with that.

Actually, I take that back about the neighbor's dog. Who knows what I'd do in a zombie apocalypse! ;-)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    People are removed from their food. We see our food after it has been killed and cut into pieces. Then it's either in butcher paper or clear wrap.

There are some animals I wouldn't eat unless I was up against it. I tend to think of some of the top of food chain animals as "brothers," so I don't want to eat things like apes, cats, wolves, etc. But fowl and anything hoofed - it's what we should be eating.*

*Also, squirrels, nutria, and almost anything that lives in water.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

baconator is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannakb View Post
    Sadly, yes. I know a girl who is so vocal about how hunting is the Worst Thing Ever, but she will happily eat meat from Wendy's or the grocery store. As if those animals are better off

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Recently, I've come to the opinion that if I personally didn't kill that animal, then I won't eat it. Yeah, that makes me a vegetarian/vegan whatever, and I'm on a primal forum where everyone gets moist over meat.
    I find the removed stance we (nearly) all have to be such a destructive one. Forgetting that animals do in fact live, breath, feel emotion, and have consciousness all for the sake of the meat consumption through indiscriminate slaughter, I feel, is wrong. I've mentioned the !Kung tribe a few times before, and after every kill, a ritual of thanks takes place, but all H/G tribes honour and respect the lives they take for the rewards they bring. They don't waste a thing.
    Also, I personally think that a true primal diet doesn't have as much meat and fat as believed... I still believe meat was vital for evolution and health, just not so much. Vegetarianism, with a steak thrown in, provided I kill it. Thats what I believe to be the true 'Primal' diet.

My 2 cents.. (Pence.. I'm in Britain!)
    Last edited by Jenry Hennings; 12-27-2013 at 12:36 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    Recently, I've come to the opinion that if I personally didn't kill that animal, then I won't eat it. Yeah, that makes me a vegetarian/vegan whatever, and I'm on a primal forum where everyone gets moist over meat.
    I find the removed stance we (nearly) all have to be such a destructive one. Forgetting that animals do in fact live, breath, feel emotion, and have consciousness all for the sake of the meat consumption through indiscriminate slaughter, I feel, is wrong. I've mentioned the !Kung tribe a few times before, and after every kill, a ritual of thanks takes place, but all H/G tribes honour and respect the lives they take for the rewards they bring. They don't waste a thing.
    Also, I personally think that a true primal diet doesn't have as much meat and fat as believed... I still believe meat was vital for evolution and health, just not so much. Vegetarianism, with a steak thrown in, provided I kill it. Thats what I believe to be the true 'Primal' diet.

That's one of the more... interesting rationales for vegetarianism I've seen.

Imagine if we used that logic for other things. I'm not going to read a book until I learn to write one. I'm not going to have surgery until I learn to perform it on myself. I'm not going to listen to music until I learn to play an instrument.

There's plenty wrong with our current food system. It's illogical that because someone doesn't hunt, they shouldn't eat meat. I think that whatever one does to earn money is what then pays the hunter/farmer/etc. to provide them with meat. Do you make your own clothing, or will you go naked until you learn to do so?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post

Personally, if my choice were between being vegetarian or killing my own meat, I'd be sharpening a knife and getting a gun. The only reason I'm not taking up hunting is lack of time and any good teachers. My overtime more than pays for venison.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Killing dinner

I want to learn how to hunt. Looks fun.

Then again I grew up where we only can get live fish and chicken. The chicken can be killed and plucked in front of us at the market but the fish we have to kill ourselves back at home.

My mom also cooked my pet snake for soup because it starved to death (got too big for its container, we couldn't feed it love crickets anymore without it crushing it). I walked into the kitchen witnessing her skinning it.

So maybe now I am callous to animal killings.

I also wear tons of vintage fur and leather.

I somehow still have vegan friends who are famous animal rights activists...

Don't ask me how...
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Imagine if we used that logic for other things. I'm not going to read a book until I learn to write one. I'm not going to have surgery until I learn to perform it on myself. I'm not going to listen to music until I learn to play an instrument.

There's plenty wrong with our current food system. It's illogical that because someone doesn't hunt, they shouldn't eat meat. I think that whatever one does to earn money is what then pays the hunter/farmer/etc. to provide them with meat. Do you make your own clothing, or will you go naked until you learn to do so?
    I think this IS a logical argument simply because our meat raising system is so fucked up. Yes there are other options but frankly, depending on where you live it can be a lot more expensive to and/or difficult to buy meat that you KNOW the history of. Given a choice between meat of an unknown history or eating a vegetarian type diet I can see going with the vege diet. I personally DO have access to a cow I killed myself and I'm working on sourcing other meats better too but if my choices were tyson farms of veggies? I'd go vege again.

Jenry Hennings is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post

Applying my reasoning to something as mundane as reading a book, pertaining to something I feel strongly for, is almost insulting, and slightly absurd to compare the two, and have both examples in equal standing. We're not talking about creative writing, we are talking about taking life, and more importantly, forgetting the value of life.
    How is it 'illogical'? What's more illogical is how people will happily consume meat, yet won't have the balls to be responsible for slaughtering and butchering the meat in the first place.
    My logic is only illogical when applied to hypothetical nonsensical situations as you suggest. For example,'We should stop breathing because we didn't make the oxygen.' My logic is not physics, and therefore, cannot be applied universally.
    And believe me, if I could walk around naked and get away with it, you can put good money on it that I would be naked.. I'm naked right now.
    Last edited by Jenry Hennings; 12-28-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: it don't make no sense! no proofreading..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast