Thread: Calcium, Vit D and potassium page

invino77 is offline Senior Member

Calcium, Vit D and potassium

Primal Fuel
    I recently got a fit day journal - what a gem! But i am seeing my vitamin D, calcium and potassium coming in low. I do get daily sun ( walk to work total of 30 min per day) so maybe that would make up for the dietary lack?

but not doing dairy, I'd liek to find a way to get more calcium.

And potassium? (potatoes and bananas are not exactly the direction I want to go)

I guess I could try ot find a good supplement. But I dont awnt tot do a multi - because most of my levels are OK...and I dont want to take all kinds of unneccesary things.

Any advice on ways ot get more of these essential nutrients?

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    The RDA for calcium is very high, in my opinion. Many cultures eat very little calcium and yet have almost zero occurrences of osteoporosis, and other bone related disease. As for potassium, just make sure you eat plenty of veggies and you'll be fine. No need to fret, unless you like to dump the entire salt shaker on to your food.

If you want more calcium, eat spinach and other dark leafy greens. Or bone marrow.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Figs are also a good source of calcium and other minerals. Eating one or two dried figs a day won't hurt the carb count too much. I forgot my figs for a week or so and wound up getting foot cramps (a sign of magnesium deficiency).

Vick is offline Senior Member
    I cut an avocado in half and add half to my salad for potassium. I try and eat two avocados a week.

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! All good do-able suggestions. I love figs, and the thought of adding them to breakfast is wonderful! Avocado too. I still am getting leg cramps even though I have started taking a magnesium supplement = and my mag levels from foo don fit day are 100%.....so, not sure why? Why are there deficiencies on the primal diet? Shouldnt it provide everything we need?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D is tricky. I walk an hour a day and paddle on the weekend. Only use sunscreen during the warmer months and then only after 9am (I'm often on the water before dawn). Thought I had more than enough sun exposure for Vitamin D. I was wrong. Recent test showed my blood level to be 58nmol/l. From what I've read it needs to be at least 80 so now I'm supplementing. At least I now have an explanation for my CVD - Vitamin D deficiency

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I find potassium, magnesium and calcium routinely low and vit D almost off the radar! So vit D supps, calcium supps and having to eat more sweet potato / avocado / brazil nuts or almonds help.

I actually have started to wonder if the RDA is set for the normal SAD diet and when not eating loads of anti-nutrients, the levels can be lower?

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I actually have started to wonder if the RDA is set for the normal SAD diet and when not eating loads of anti-nutrients, the levels can be lower?
    i think I've read comments to that effect somewhere, I wish I could recall somewhere. Though others have commented on RDA being too low. But I think it's a reasonable point. There's a lot of factors affect calcium uptake, and my understanding is that it's your uptake that is critical more than the actual amount you consume - if you just consume more, you simply excrete more. With the right nutritional balance and weight-bearing exercise, your calcium uptake is better.

There's also issues like all the micronutrients and gut flora which are probably lacking in the SAD - It REALLY annoys me that they can supplement foods with vitamins and so it LOOKs like a nutritionally complete food when it's just the 'usual suspects' (like Bs, C , niacin, iron) that they are adding in. If I want a vitamin pill, I'll take one, thanks! One day I'm going to do a nutritiondata table working out all the foods like bread and cereals but reducing down the ingredients and leaving out the added vitamins to see what's REALLY in the food.

I read something about I think it was green banana and how they'd tried to supplement with its resistant starch to see if that was what was improving gut health. The results were negative or vague and there was a frustrated 'must be some other element in the food' at the end of the study. Pollan always comments on 'whole foods' rather than single nutrients and I think this is a strength of PB - while thinking about the importance of nutrition, the ultimate focus is on real food.

Where did the RDAs come from I wonder? I'll have to go google it.

I've been googling Vitamin D and was interested to learn that mice with ineffective D uptake had a higher susceptibility to cancer when exposed to carcinogens; and also that renal failure (kidney disease or having a kidney removed) also impaired D uptake.

Sorry for the rambling reply, I'm kinda bored thisafternoon!

Autumn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Like Helen in Oz I also read about calcium effect somewhere and I can't remember where. But! RDA is based on a grain diet. As grain is broken down in our body it hogs a lot of calcium and takes it straight through the body without the body having any say at all. Grain actually steals the body’s supply of calcium (and probably other minerals) and this is why a normal SAD need sooooo much calcium a day. So yes, the RDA is made for SAD. It would be great if someone could measure a primal RDA as I’m sure there would be a lot of differences.

Autumn