Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Tweaking; How about you? page

zoebird is offline Senior Member

I'm Tweaking; How about you?

Shop Now
    So, I decided to pop my numbers into chronometer and see what my day looks like. I think my measurements are wrong, because it says I'm only getting just under 800 calories per day, and that can't be right.

Here's my day:

Green juice and two eggs -- green juice is kale, cilantro, parsley, cucumber, celery, ginger, and lemon (or lime) -- I have a 1-1.5 cups total, and I"m not sure how this worked out in the system. I usually have 2 hard boiled eggs.

snack -- 1 med pink grapefruit!

Dinner -- BAS with mixed organic greens, 1/2 avocado, 1 sm tomato, 1/2 bell pepper, 1/2 telegraph cucumber, and 1/2 tbsp of Udo's 3/6/9 blend; baked atlantic cod -- about 3-4 oz with lime squeezed over it.

My numbers are coming out at way under my needs (according to chronometer). Around 800 calories, 35% carbohydrate (70 g) , 32.6% (29.3 g) fats, 32.4% (64.3g) protein.

I've been rather sedentary lately due to the holidays. (lots of car rides, sitting around, long sleeps). I think I'm struggling a bit with situational depression, too -- so I'm going to look into that.

I think that I definitely need to increase my caloric intake -- by a lot -- particularly as I increase my activity levels. I currently basically just do my 40 minutes of (gentle) yoga each day. Next week, we'll start hiking after picking up DS from school (1 hr/day), and I'm also starting kettle bell training now that my shoulder is in good shape -- something I've wanted to do for over a year!!!! I'm excited to start it.

What I know is that I'll need more calories, and I am looking at getting all of those calories from raw fruits and veggies -- either whole or in juice.

This will mean, of course, having a whole lot of a given fruit or veggie -- which is why I'm looking at juicing a fair amount of it as it gets the calories 'in.'

This might push my diet to 811v or something. LOL

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Ha! I've gone in the opposite direction. Was doing 70-100 gm carbs and Have now moved into ketosis for the last 2 months. Am just now feeling keto-adapted and really fabulous!

Eating almost no veggies, lots of fat from my meat, eggs and dairy. Eating more seafood and offal to compensate for the lack of veggies.

Probably 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs.

Have been inspired by Peter at Hyperlipid, Anna at LifeExtension and Dr. Ede.

Vegetables Diagnosis: Diet
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 12-26-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a lot of low calorie vegatable fiber filler and almost no meat, fat, or even very much carbohydrate. I don't know what Udo 3/6/9 blend is, but half a tablespoon of anything is basically irrelevant. Discounting all of the juice, fruit, and vegetables (which is very low in energy), your food for a day basically consists of half an avocado, 2 eggs, and a very small piece of lean fish. Put another way, you only had a glass of juice, a piece of fruit, and a salad all day. I don't track calories so I can't really say if the estimate of 800 is right, but this sounds like a borderline starvation diet.

If you want to eat more, I recommend fatty animal meat, butter, fatty coconut products, or even "safe starches" like sweet potatoes or rice. Getting the majority of your energy intake from raw fruit and juice doesn't sound very primal to me. If you are tying to follow more of a raw vegan inspired diet (with tiny amounts of egg and fish?), this probably isn't the most useful place to ask for how to advice. I guess if you wanted to you could chug huge amounts of sugary fruit juice in an attempt to consume more calories, but that sounds horribly unhealthy and isn't something I could recomend.

Consume food, not the fluid squeezed out of leafy vegatables. All those plant based nutrients are useless without fat to help absorb them.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    I agree that cronometer is probably correct. And that seems like very little food. I use it too and my green juice which is about 1 1/2 - 2 cups is 150 cals and I use carrots and tomatoes in mine. Might up your calories a bit. Unless you are an extremely tiny person it sounds like you really need to eat more. Do you maintain weight eating like that??

On the plus side my one juice provides me with 23% of my daily nutritional targets!!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Why are you eating so little? It sounds way too rigid to me.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    What about lunch? I didn't see you mention that. Maybe you don't eat it or maybe you didn't calculate it? I'm not saying you have to eat lunch, just that midday may be a good spot to eat more food - cause that's definitely what you need to do! :-)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My main concern would be adaptability. While 800 cal/day would be okay for the short run, I wouldn't want my body to adapt to that and make adding more calories something that leads to weight gain.

To each her own of course, but I'd be adding some ruminants, liver, and oily fish. Your ratios look PHD perfect, so you could also just eat what you're eating now, but increase everything by amount.

ETA: most of my tweaking will be exercise.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

RittenRemedy is online now Senior Member
    I have the same problem with under eating if I "follow my hunger." I think I messed up my body with too much low calorie dieting in my teens. I'm sort of tall and a little active, but I would be eating your meals in addition to a pound of meat for dinner (I'm also female).

The thing with eating so little is your body decreases your energy out to make up for it. I much prefer the higher energy to constantly feeling tired like I do if I under eat, and maybe the appropriate calories/energy allows my body function as it should.

I also second Joanie's suggestion of nutrient dense red meat, offal, and fish. Lots of important vitamins and other good things you're missing out there. Don't feel the need to be afraid of fat so long as you're not drinking it, and think about your sugars (unwhole fruits/juices) much the same.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I really see no need to....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    double
    Last edited by zoebird; 12-26-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast