Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm 50, with zero kids, should I hang a stocking from the mantel? page

PBNewby is offline Senior Member

I'm 50, with zero kids, should I hang a stocking from the mantel?

Primal Fuel
    Just wondering at what age I am no longer obligated to get trinkets from Santa in a stocking at this time of year... Thoughts.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    ...Did you get trinkets last year, that you didn't put in? If so go for it. Hurhurhur.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    ...Did you get trinkets last year, that you didn't put in? If so go for it. Hurhurhur.
    Sorry, but, whoooosh!
    Last edited by PBNewby; 12-25-2013 at 05:33 AM.

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    Anyone over the age of 6 still believing in fantasy can be certified for lifelong status as a true believer - have at it.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I am 59. I still hang the stocking. My mom is 86. She still doesn't put anything in it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    You can cease and desist at the time when you no longer wish to do it.

At which time- bid farewell to your inner child
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Heyo Jay is offline Senior Member
    Never too old
    My interesting paleo weight loss blog

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm 50, with zero kids, should I hang a stocking from the mantel?
    Only if it's a thigh high with a seam up the back.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBNewby View Post
    Just wondering at what age I am no longer obligated to get trinkets from Santa in a stocking at this time of year... Thoughts.
    Thoughts?

Obligated? WHO'S obliging you? Do if you want. Or maybe do it if it pleases someone else, even if there are no children - who, yes, do like this sort of thing - involved.

Maybe this kind of thing comes under "imagination" anyway. That's OK, isn't it? No reason we have to stick with 19th century conceptions, where there's no role for the symbolic in our lives - just the the "literal" which supposedly exists independently of us.

Do it if it pleases you, I suggest.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Merry Christmas, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Thoughts?

Obligated? WHO'S obliging you? Do if you want. Or maybe do it if it pleases someone else, even if there are no children - who, yes, do like this sort of thing - involved.

Maybe this kind of thing comes under "imagination" anyway. That's OK, isn't it? No reason we have to stick with 19th century conceptions, where there's no role for the symbolic in our lives - just the the "literal" which supposedly exists independently of us.

Do it if it pleases you, I suggest.
    Lots of great responses, thanks!

Thinking about my original question, I believe I used those words (thoughts, obligated) because that IS how I feel. And, I recognize those words reveal that I am not feeling very Christmas-y at a time when it is customary to feel it. This is the main reason I came here to solicit the opinion of others.

I believe I have yet to say goodbye to my inner child, and I would like to think that he is no longer 6, 8, or even 10 years old. Or at least that if he is such an age, it is a figurative condition. I mean, when is it appropriate to give a 40-50 year old man a Mr. Potato head toy, and expect him to be enthralled as though he were actually a 6 year old?

My inner child is what gets me to not hold back when trying new things, to play in the sand at the beach, to experience life (as an adult) without being stuffy about things that might be considered childish at times. Can I really be expected to re-live my past and jump for joy when I find school pencils and a pencil box in my stocking? How about when I receive things that I absolutely do not need/will not use, nor do I have the space to put them in my home?

I think I am a believer in the adage that spending time is a much greater gift than spending money. I value the time I spend with my family more than the trinkets I find in a stocking. It is enough for me to be around them and enjoy the day with them. But I feel obligated (so as not to disappoint them) when I don't become giddy over the contents of a stocking they place for me.

I appreciate all of your comments.
    Last edited by PBNewby; 12-25-2013 at 05:37 AM. Reason: to add a holiday greeting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast