Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone broth advice needed page

Bone broth advice needed

Primal Fuel
    I have made my first bone broth, but I'm not sure it's turned out right....
    What I did:
    Put some beef, lamb and chicken bones in a large pot with a spoonful of peppercorns, two carrots and two onions. Filled with water to cover bones and brought to a boil. Turned down to a simmer.... 24 hours later, and I gave it a try.

I ladled some into a glass and had a sip. Not bad, but it's cloudy and a bit powdery tasting. Also after a minute or so there was quite a pronounced layer of clear fat on the top.....

Am I missing something or is this normal? Any ideas?

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Most people add some sort of acid, like vinegar or lemon (tablespoon or so) to help get the minerals out of the bones. You can still do that with this batch and let it go longer. I don't put the veggies in, just some salt, meaty bones and vinegar.

is this batch spoiled, or will vinegar rescue it? Is yours cloudy/oily? I really dont know what it should look like :-(

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Depending on the amount of meat on the bones, or the marrow that goes into the broth, I've gotten almost no fat to a lot of fat floating at the top. I usually get as much fat off as I can without stressing that I get it all. Some folks like the fat and leave it. Cloudy is fine, but if you prefer clear, google consomme and you can learn how to make a clear broth.

The one thing that tells me if a batch came out okay is if it gels in the fridge.

I don't think your batch is ruined because you didn't add vinegar or lemon juice. If you want to redo it, add more water and a tablespoon or two of ACV or lemon juice and simmer it down. But though the acid helps, it's not a fail if you forget it.

Hope that helps.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    make sure to use plenty of bones, and oogly bits like chicken feet or beef tendon if you can get them. i basically pack the stockpot with bones and find a 12-qt pot can hold 7-8 pounds.

in addition to the vinegar, you can also add stuff like garlic, ginger, bay leaf and/or dried thyme for flavor.

if it tastes "watery", you can reduce the liquid to intensify it. then add some salt.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Cheers guys, I shall add some garlic tomorrow and strain all the bones out. I think I will decant the fat as im still trying to lose weight. Not that bothered about the cloudiness if its ok healthwise.

By the way, can I use the fat for cooking instead of my usual choice of olive oil? Or is it not advisable?

Merry christmas all!

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Yes you can use the skimmed fat for cooking. Olive oil isn't advisable for cooking on the other hand...not very heat-stable.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Your bone broth is not spoiled. Drink it and be merry.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    Your bone broth is not spoiled. Drink it and be merry.

You are back!!!!
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just for a moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast