Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee\Cortisol page

Djzander is offline Member

Coffee\Cortisol

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey guys, I quit drinking coffee about 3 months ago to try and get even healthier, but in the last few weeks I have been finding my self indulging about 3x a week and those times always make me miss my old habit. I never really drank more than 1.5 cups a day and it puts me in a great mood and I love the extra energy. Do any of you see a problem with going back to just one cup a day? Do you think this would still be detrimental to fat loss and health considering coffee's effects on cortisol and the adrenal glands? P.S In the 3 months off Coffee I never really felt "healthier" or noticed a reduction in abdominal fat.

Autumn is offline Member
    Well ... Coffee isn't BAD!!! for you (unless you drink 6 pots a day). Neither is red wine if you don't drink a bottle a day. Both have good/bad sides to them, but the plus outweighs the minus I think. Interesting question, and I'm looking forward to posts by people who knows more about this than I do.

Autumn

tooround is offline Senior Member
    I'm well into my second pot this morning and reading about adrenal response. I'm anxious to read more about this too.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    Well I am in the coffee camp.

I did a complete and massive overhaul in my family's diet. I eat things that I never would have eaten in the past and I have absolutely no interest in the vast amounts of grains I used to consume. But I love my morning cup of coffee.

I eat very well and feel fantastic, so I am not going to sweat 2 c of coffee daily. Only you can decide what is really best for you.

As for the science behind the body's response, I have no idea but I am hoping someone will chime in because that would be an interesting read!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I believe coffee is fine in controlled amounts, I go for organic to avoid all the crap, but yeah.

From everything I've read about adrenal fatigue and the adrenals, the two biggest drainers are excess sugar consumption and excess stress. Now, yes coffee is a stress, and the body does recognize all the stress the same (doesn't matter whether you're being chased by a lion, or you just got a divorce).

The fastest way to burn out the adrenals through stress is the emotional/mental stress. Because that can go on forever, or at-least long periods of time and in unlimited amounts.

With coffee, a certain amount of cortisol is released with the normal half-life. But with emotional/mental stress, you can consistently release large amounts of stress.

So if you really want to avoid adrenal fatigue, head in the direction of a positive mind-set, and get the sugar under control.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Grok is offline Senior Member
    According to the Primal Blueprint, coffee is okay in moderation. I do not feel guilty at all going to Starbucks once a week. My drink of choice now is a venti iced red-eye with heavy cream (if you ask for breve they will give you half&half.)

Autumn is offline Member
    Okay, aparently I slipped somewhere on the turn pike in trying to understand everything here ... adrenal fatigue? What is that? I tried to read something on google and only felt more stupid. Lay mans terms, please ... or as one would explain it to a 2nd grader *BIG SMILE*

Autumn

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf recommends drinking coffee in moderate amounts, so that's good enough for me. I think it is actually supposed to speed up the metabolism slightly.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I do so many things right for body these days that even if there were some minor issues with coffee, I wouldn't give it up.

The quite reflection that accompanies drinking coffee more then out weighs any possible negatives, in my mind.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Great explanation by Paula Owens on what adrenal fatigue is:

Part 1:
    http://thepowerof4-paula.blogspot.co...rt-1-of-2.html

Part 2:
    http://thepowerof4-paula.blogspot.co...ey-part-2.html

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast