Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodybuilding with Calisthenics page

Bodybuilding with Calisthenics

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

I have recently took up calisthenics as a staple of my fitness program. I have started since last March and have seen much progress. I can manage to do 15 pullups with ease and pistol squats with sloppy form. I admit I have to get better.

I would like to know if there is anyone out there who has competed in bodybuilding shows with just calisthenics and following a primal/paleo diet? I have read posts on bodybuilding.com forums and those guys just criticize calisthenics in general.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about that question, but I think Al Kavadlo is pretty much an expert in the field.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Doing just calisthenics you are building the type of lean, muscular body that women like to look at, not the sort of massive hypertrophy that wins bodybuilding contests.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    The sort of massive hyperthrophy that wins bodybuilder contests is mainly a product of drugs anyway, but yes both weights and calisthenics build muscles, and the best for most people is probably to use both for the best results. Especially lower body can be hard to develop on calisthenics only...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Doing just calisthenics you are building the type of lean, muscular body that women like to look at, not the sort of massive hypertrophy that wins bodybuilding contests.
    What about raw, drug-free powerlifters in the 148-lb division? Is that the type of lean, muscular body that women like to look at?
    The Champagne of Beards

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    The sort of massive hyperthrophy that wins bodybuilder contests is mainly a product of drugs anyway, but yes both weights and calisthenics build muscles, and the best for most people is probably to use both for the best results. Especially lower body can be hard to develop on calisthenics only...
    +1

OP, you can create a good physique with just bodyweight exercises, but it won't be what the judges at any bodybuilding show will be looking for.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What about raw, drug-free powerlifters in the 148-lb division? Is that the type of lean, muscular body that women like to look at?
    No.

Ok. Maybe.

Fine! Yes.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Look at pictures of gymnasts. That's the elite level of calisthenics right there. If you like that kind of musculature, have at it. Those guys are amazing.

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    148lbs? Um, no.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the responses.
    I think I'll shut this dream down as I don't want to pursue a life involving supplements and drugs to achieve an aesthetic goal.
    As for developing legs though, does anyone have suggestions on developing the hamstrings?
    I remember Al Kavadlo not recommending the glute ham raise as an exercise due to the strain on the knee joint. Are there any alternatives besides sprints?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast