Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How low carb are you guys? page

ToddAndMargo is offline Member
    Milkey Way, Sol, Earth, United States, Nevada

How low carb are you guys?

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

How low carb are you guys?

I suppose I should say why I am asking. I am an NIDDM (noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus or Type 2 Diabetic). I am completely drug free since late September and control my Diabetes with a very low carb diet and herbs. I am 15 grams carbs max per meal and 60 max per day and no banking and no fiber balancing.

And, I am teaching myself to cook. Seems to me that most of what I cook is Paleo, if not all. Low carb plants,
    fat, meat. No grains.

Diabetic specific sites are not a real good place for me as there are both high carb (don't ask) and low carb Diabetics. And championing one over the other will cause the fur to fly, especially since one of the favorite drugs for T2 is Metformin and one of the side effects is that it turns you into a prat (crabby, testy, etc., I speak from experience). Doesn't make for good conversation.

So I was wondering just how different your carbs were from mine and if this would be a good site for me to learn better how to cook for my condition.

Many thanks,
    -T

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on controlling your blood sugars with your diet!

I eat a ketogenic Primal diet, so under 50 gm net carbs per day. Not diabetic, but very glucose-intolerant.

Here's what I eat: What I eat. - Sondra Rose: Coaching for Health and Happiness

DeniseB is offline Member
    I have hyperglycemia (should have said hypoglycemia), and have gone very low carb, eating more fat in the form of coconut oil, real butter, and high-fat milk/yogurt, and no grains except oat bran in 2-3 grain-free pancakes twice a week has really helped. I fill up on leafy greens probably more so than I do on meat, although I do eat protein with every meal. Snacks are boiled eggs or homemade sausage. Scotch Eggs - boiled eggs wrapped in pork/beef mixture, and then baked = YUM! =D Look for Rivven and his post on sandwich bread. He's a genious! =D

Every "body" is different, so you have to do what is right for yours. There's a discussion on Adkin's diet that he came out with in '72 here: Living Low Carb. It is stricter than the current plan that he rewrote. Adkins died of a head injury - not a high-cholesterol heart attack, which has been spread all over the 'Net. I feel like he was attacked posthumously because his way of dieting did not conform to Big Pharma, and the doctors who push "Eat more grains."

Greens go well with everything, but I like mine with steamed brussels sprouts, sauteed mushrooms & onions, 1/4 of a red bell pepper, and then drizzle a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil over the whole thing.

There is plenty to read here. Good luck!
    Last edited by DeniseB; 12-30-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    I go for 100g a day max. I'm not diabetic or have any medical condition. I feel good on 100g. I feel calm.
    Instinctively I would say that I **sense** in myself that I could become diabetic if I ate the (UK) recommended 250g carbs a day (most people EASILY exceed their 250g in sweets, fizzy drinks, booze and bread alone). I say this cos a) I'm an apple body shape b) pre low carb I suffered with huge carb cravings, blood sugar lows after indulging,the typical cycle..always starving..eat carbs..crash & be moody &feel like I'm gonna die if I don't eat..eat a carb start again. c) if I eat excessive sugar (I'm talking two cans of fizz)I get palpitations and I'm hyper and then I crash.
    I feel some peoples systems are sugar sensitive and just can't handle more than Xgrams carb a day. One persons limit might be 50g, another 150g.
    How did you arrive at 60g? How do you feel on 60g? How did you feel on high carb?

Hi Sondra,

Thank you. I hate those Diabetic drugs. It wouldn't surprise me if they all eventually wound up ending their life cycles in class action suites. And, I would posit that most could control T2 with diet, if they put their mind to it. I could be wrong.

You sound very similar to me. Sometimes I go into keytosis, but not on purpose. I usually come in around 40 to 60 grams carbs per day. I try to stick with organic/natural meat so the fat won't have pestisides/poisons etc. in it.

Do you raise your own goose eggs? How do they differ from Chicken eggs? (The chicken at the local organic farm are hysterical.)

The chocolate butter? Do you use it like a spread? Or a candy bar?

-T
    Last edited by ToddAndMargo; 12-23-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Hi Sondra,

Do you make you own broth (not soup)? I have no access to organic beef bones, but do have access to organic chicken. And I make the most awesome broth. My allopath (GP doctor) says broth has the most incredible healing powers. Takes about 5 hours to make.

-T

Quote Originally Posted by ToddAndMargo View Post
    Hi Sondra,

Thank you. I hate those Diabetic drugs. It wouldn't surprise me if they all eventually wound up ending their life cycles in class action suites. And, I would posit that most could control T2 with diet, if they put their mind to it. I could be wrong.

You sound very similar to me. Sometimes I go into ketosis, but not on purpose. I usually come in around 40 to 60 grams carbs per day. I try to stick with organic/natural meat so the fat won't have pesticides/poisons etc. in it.

Do you raise your own goose eggs? How do they differ from Chicken eggs? (The chicken at the local organic farm are hysterical.)

The chocolate butter? Do you use it like a spread? Or a candy bar?

-T
    No, the duck eggs are from a local farm. They are a bit bigger and fattier than chicken eggs.

We cut the chocolate butter into small pieces and store them in the freezer. About 3 gm net carbs per piece.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddAndMargo View Post
    Hi Sondra,

Do you make you own broth (not soup)? I have no access to organic beef bones, but do have access to organic chicken. And I make the most awesome broth. My allopath (GP doctor) says broth has the most incredible healing powers. Takes about 5 hours to make.

-T
    Yes. My husband is the chef in the family. He makes bone broth with beef or lamb bones, mostly. 72 hours in a crockpot. Just water to cover & some vinegar to help leach the minerals from the bones.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Welcome! I have normal BG but lots of T2D in the family.

I generally aim for a "quarter carb" diet in contrast to the average "half carb" diet. My general guidelines are to confine carbohydrates (and often food in general) to a minority 1/4~1/3 of the day so lipolysis gets daily use, and I'm pretty discriminating about the sources. Dinner usually has a tuber side and fruit dessert. Lunch sometimes is a rice bowl/bento due to convenience. Never sugar, wheat, corn, oats, etc. and very rarely beans or quinoa if it's served unexpectedly.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I'm around 80-90 carbs per day -- like you, I don't do any of the "net" business. I don't have diabetes or any problems, though.

My diet is as follows on a given day:

Breakfast (10 am) -- 10-ish oz of fresh green juice (kale, cilantro, parsley, cucumber, celery, ginger, and lemon/lime -- i'm growing wheat grass to add in) and 2-3 eggs (fried in butter or hard-boiled -- hard boiled are my favorite);

Snack (if any -- 2:30-ish) -- hand full of nuts, orange.

Dinner (5 pm) -- steak/fish/chicken and big salad (greens and sprouts, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, and avocado with 1/2 tbsp Udo's perfect blend oil) or steamed veggies (steamed in home made bone broth -- broccoli, cauliflower). I also eat raw brussels sprouts and asparagus salads, or add them to our big salad. I like to have the asparagus steep a bit in olive oil and lemon juice for about an hour before tossing it into the salad.

I might finish up after dinner with some frozen berries and coconut cream (or make a raw ice cream of coconut cream, frozen berries -- pushed through my masticating juicer with the special head for that purpose). But, I do this maybe once a week? Not usually that often.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast