Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How low carb are you guys? page 2

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Congradulations on getting your sugar under control!

My diabetic aunt has started a low carb (not primal/paleo tho) diet with some success as well; it seems like the way to go if you have insulin/blood sugar issues.

I personally aim more towards a PHD moderate carb diet, although avoiding most grains and sugar. This is because I am underweight and have a dysfunctional thyroid.

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    I try to get 200g a day

ToddAndMargo is offline Member
    Milkey Way, Sol, Earth, United States, Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecatz View Post
    I go for 100g a day max. I'm not diabetic or have any medical condition. I feel good on 100g. I feel calm.
    Instinctively I would say that I **sense** in myself that I could become diabetic if I ate the (UK) recommended 250g carbs a day (most people EASILY exceed their 250g in sweets, fizzy drinks, booze and bread alone). I say this cos a) I'm an apple body shape b) pre low carb I suffered with huge carb cravings, blood sugar lows after indulging,the typical cycle..always starving..eat carbs..crash & be moody &feel like I'm gonna die if I don't eat..eat a carb start again. c) if I eat excessive sugar (I'm talking two cans of fizz)I get palpitations and I'm hyper and then I crash.
    I feel some peoples systems are sugar sensitive and just can't handle more than Xgrams carb a day. One persons limit might be 50g, another 150g.
    How did you arrive at 60g? How do you feel on 60g? How did you feel on high carb?

Hi Polecatz,

What does Polecatz mean in UK? In America, Polecat (no "z") means a Skunk. :-)

250 a day! US Agriculture dept has a recommended daily carb calculator where you put your weight, height and age into it and presto! mine is 380! This is really bad. No wonder one out of six are going to get T2. Back in Paleo days this was not possible as our food was not artificially hybridized for high carb.

I had all the symptoms you spoke of except I could no longer could get a hypo (low blood sugar that makes you dizzy) as I was insulin resistant and could no longer get low blood sugar. I loved my pasta, grains, rice corn, potatoes (all kinds). I stayed away from sugar but not "healthy carbs". I did not realize there was no such thing. To my body I was eating bag after bag after bag of sugar. I got pretty ill (stomach cramps, etc. but no dizzy) when I got hungry too.

When I got inducted into the pin cushion club 13 months ago, I was in diabetic keytoacedosis so bad I was huffing and puffing like a reciprocating engine. Pretty loud too. I could hardly move. I was losing weight and starving to death with a full belly. The Emergency Room (ER) doctor though I had heart problems. My heart was fine (I credit that to my use of Turmeric for hay fever). "The good new is your heart is in great condition. The bad news is your are T2 Diabetic." I was so happy my heart was fine, I was giddy. I bought some steaks to celebrate. It wasn't till the next day that it sunk in. "Oh [expletive deleted] I am Diabetic!"
    Th ER doctor wanted all the detains on the Tumeric as my heart should have been messed up from all the insulin and glucose.

I was on Metformin for 11 months. The side effects are nasty. Turns you into a prat. Each time I backed off, my blood glucose dropped. So, a rebound effect too. Now I know the proper hers to heal my pancreas and to control any unexpected peaks.

The 60 came from the ER doctor. He has now saved my live twice. He sat with me for about an hour explaining everything to me. My wife and I then researched the dickens out of it, including Mark's recommendation. Mark really knows his stuff. I verified him for a good two months before I took him a face value.

And now that most of the Metformin is out of my system, I feel better than I have felt in years. And I am never hungry, unless it is my own fault. When I am hungry, it is just hunger, I am not on the floor in pain. Some of my hair is starting to turn black and little patches a growing back again. But only a little -- rats! And, I am getting my energy back again. My butcher and have an understanding: I am an not allergic to fat and he doesn't trim it off. I only blow off keytones when I accidentally diet (fast). And they are no longer the dangerous ketones from diabetic keytoacedisis. The tingling i my feet is going down (love Comfrey cream for that.)

An my wife eat the same as I do so as to not tempt me to to go off the wagon. What a supportive blessing she has been. And I am learning to cook. I now eat better food and have more variety than I have every had in my life! I never go hungry. So far this T2 has turned out to be a blessing in so many ways.

I turned my back on carbs and am not looking back. When I see someone eat a pizza, I am not envious, I am upset at all the carbs being consumed and the one out of six thing. (I have a high carb T2 acquaintance who has two prosthetic legs, had a massive heart attack, is on dialysis and the kidney transplant list. So pizza to me mean prosthetic feet.)

And since the black curtain of the Metformin has lifted, I tend to blab on and on and on, as you can tell. (My wife likes it, but I think I might embarrass myself in public a bit.)

If your blood glucose is okay on 100 and no wild swings, I would say you are doing great. It is the swings that get you.

Speaking of the UK. I love Classic FM! I listen over the Internet.

-T

Eating like my ancestors. Who would have thought!

Oh you know what? Orcas (killer whales) are mammals, eats no carbs (except fish eggs), live in very close family units, and live into their 90's. I think they know something we lost.

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddAndMargo View Post
    Hi Polecatz,

What does Polecatz mean in UK? In America, Polecat (no "z") means a Skunk. :-)

250 a day! US Agriculture dept has a recommended daily carb calculator where you put your weight, height and age into it and presto! mine is 380! This is really bad. No wonder one out of six are going to get T2. Back in Paleo days this was not possible as our food was not artificially hybridized for high carb.

I had all the symptoms you spoke of except I could no longer could get a hypo (low blood sugar that makes you dizzy) as I was insulin resistant and could no longer get low blood sugar. I loved my pasta, grains, rice corn, potatoes (all kinds). I stayed away from sugar but not "healthy carbs". I did not realize there was no such thing. To my body I was eating bag after bag after bag of sugar. I got pretty ill (stomach cramps, etc. but no dizzy) when I got hungry too.

When I got inducted into the pin cushion club 13 months ago, I was in diabetic keytoacedosis so bad I was huffing and puffing like a reciprocating engine. Pretty loud too. I could hardly move. I was losing weight and starving to death with a full belly. The Emergency Room (ER) doctor though I had heart problems. My heart was fine (I credit that to my use of Turmeric for hay fever). "The good new is your heart is in great condition. The bad news is your are T2 Diabetic." I was so happy my heart was fine, I was giddy. I bought some steaks to celebrate. It wasn't till the next day that it sunk in. "Oh [expletive deleted] I am Diabetic!"
    Th ER doctor wanted all the detains on the Tumeric as my heart should have been messed up from all the insulin and glucose.

I was on Metformin for 11 months. The side effects are nasty. Turns you into a prat. Each time I backed off, my blood glucose dropped. So, a rebound effect too. Now I know the proper hers to heal my pancreas and to control any unexpected peaks.

The 60 came from the ER doctor. He has now saved my live twice. He sat with me for about an hour explaining everything to me. My wife and I then researched the dickens out of it, including Mark's recommendation. Mark really knows his stuff. I verified him for a good two months before I took him a face value.

And now that most of the Metformin is out of my system, I feel better than I have felt in years. And I am never hungry, unless it is my own fault. When I am hungry, it is just hunger, I am not on the floor in pain. Some of my hair is starting to turn black and little patches a growing back again. But only a little -- rats! And, I am getting my energy back again. My butcher and have an understanding: I am an not allergic to fat and he doesn't trim it off. I only blow off keytones when I accidentally diet (fast). And they are no longer the dangerous ketones from diabetic keytoacedisis. The tingling i my feet is going down (love Comfrey cream for that.)

An my wife eat the same as I do so as to not tempt me to to go off the wagon. What a supportive blessing she has been. And I am learning to cook. I now eat better food and have more variety than I have every had in my life! I never go hungry. So far this T2 has turned out to be a blessing in so many ways.

I turned my back on carbs and am not looking back. When I see someone eat a pizza, I am not envious, I am upset at all the carbs being consumed and the one out of six thing. (I have a high carb T2 acquaintance who has two prosthetic legs, had a massive heart attack, is on dialysis and the kidney transplant list. So pizza to me mean prosthetic feet.)

And since the black curtain of the Metformin has lifted, I tend to blab on and on and on, as you can tell. (My wife likes it, but I think I might embarrass myself in public a bit.)

If your blood glucose is okay on 100 and no wild swings, I would say you are doing great. It is the swings that get you.

Speaking of the UK. I love Classic FM! I listen over the Internet.

-T

Eating like my ancestors. Who would have thought!

Oh you know what? Orcas (killer whales) are mammals, eats no carbs (except fish eggs), live in very close family units, and live into their 90's. I think they know something we lost.
    Hi. Your story is interesting. Did you have mid section fat as you said you were underweight? Were you tired a lot? I'm glad you have taken control and are getting your health back!
    A European Polecat is like a weasel or stoat. The z is for plural. I just thought they look cute even though they prob do smell like skunks!!
    Have you seen Blackfish re the Orcas?

I think the UK amount of carbs is 250g as that's what is on the back of food packaging (ie they have a vested interest). 380g is obscene and what a joke that US Agriculture are allowed to give health advice. Nonetheless many people I know live on cheap carbs and fizzy drinks. I don't envy them as they are the ones who are always hungry and tired like I used to be.

It feels great to be freed from the hunger monster. I used to b terrified of going without food. I'd feel very aggressive if I was deprived. I'd always be knackered and needed about 10hr sleep to function - except I struggled to sleep!

I don't think T2 is being taken seriously. A relative of mine has it (not blood related). He seems to think it means he has to eat all the time and that he has to avoid sugar (correct) and replace with artificial sweetener and simple carbs (bread, pots, rice). I look at his huge piles of white rice and think "sugar addict by another name". Sugar is evil and it's killing people. But people don't look at stuff like rice and corn as sugar. I can self regulate because I've learned to be disciplined. A lot of folks can't because that stuff is seriously rewarding for the brain. I worry for him esp as the docs told him to cut down on fat and eat more carbs.
    Yeah I don't get swings. I think from what you're saying swings could be dangerous?

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Hi All,

How low carb are you guys?
    Hi,
    Depends. I don't count. Some days: 0 carb, others > 200g.

I suppose I should say why I am asking. I am an NIDDM (noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus or Type 2 Diabetic). I am completely drug free since late September and control my Diabetes with a very low carb diet and herbs. I am 15 grams carbs max per meal and 60 max per day and no banking and no fiber balancing.
    If you add raw potato starch (2Tbsp in water, on empty stomach, and 2Tbsp in water before bed), I believe your bood glucose will regulate mucho better! See freetheanimal.com for details about resistant starch.

And, I am teaching myself to cook. Seems to me that most of what I cook is Paleo, if not all. Low carb plants,
    fat, meat. No grains.
    Paleo is also tubers, i.e. starchy plant, don't think otherwise. In fact, paleo diets probably included a lot of starchy stuff.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on the great work!!!
    Cooking can be tons of fun once you get it…

I try to eat below the 150 grams a day. I'm not cutting out fruits so it's normally a bit higher than 100grams… Some days I'm around the 80grams…

(however at the moment with the holiday season it's difficult to eat a lower carbs… After the boxing day it's done.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polecatz View Post
    A European Polecat is like a weasel or stoat. The z is for plural. I just thought they look cute even though they prob do smell like skunks!!
    A skunk sprays the most pungent-smelling fluid imaginable when it feels threatened. It doesn't smell anything like a greasy rodent.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    While I don't actually count my carb amount, I know I eat very very low because the only carbohydrates I eat are from non-starchy plants and I only eat them in the evening. Drives me crazy when people say that carbohydrates are the NUMBER ONE source of energy for the body - if so, then how would I (or any of you) be ACTIVE?! Ha!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Dunno ... don't weigh or count ... anything.

We're happy to eat just about anything and everything from above and below ground. Autumn and winter errs on the more starchy side, spring and summer much less so.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Generally very low to ketogenic, with occasional (about once a week) carb refeeds with things like all you can eat sushi with rice and olive oil potato chips.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast