Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my dad is in perfect health but doesn't eat a primal diet - explain page

LockieKermit is offline Member

my dad is in perfect health but doesn't eat a primal diet - explain

Im forever questioning the primal/paleo lifestyle, but for that matter I question every diet, lifestyle in order to make myself as healthy as possible.

Anyways, my dad is 56, probaly a little overweight but he isn't to bad. He just got his tests back and everything is really good.

Excellent blood pressure
    excellent good cholestral
    excellent bad cholestral (low bad cholestral)

All his organs are functioning at an excellent level. He's recently done a bowel or colon risk assesment for cancer (I dont remember which one) and hes got no risk. He also has no risk of diabetes at this time.
    He doesn't suffer from arthritus or anything like that at this time.

He's in excellent health.

Now I say this because he eats grain and carbs, probaly a little under the RDI of the standing food pyramid. On work days he also eats a fair amount of fruit. (OMG fructose)

Like I said, im not trying to crap on all of you guys and I agree with lots of points on MDA but my dad is an example of someone perfectly healthy who doesn't follow a primal lifestyle.

Thoughts?

JimA2985 is offline Member
    Well, for my money, I've never made the argument that NOT eating primal is a one way ticket to the grave. Between your father and the plenty of cultures that eat grains, I wouldn't be able to.

But I think what we're looking for in the PB is 'the ideal.' What were we meant to eat? What were we designed to eat? How are we supposed to live? So on a sliding scale we'd have the PB on the one end and the Standard American Diet on the other. I guess your dad is somewhere in the middle. I don't know that that's a 'bad' place to be, but in my own experience moving closer to that PB ideal has been hugely beneficial.

Where Australian. But yeh I guess your right, and my dad barley, and I mean barley eats any junk food, not even biscuits or anything etc

I think my dad has pretty darn good genetics. Both Grandmana and Grandpa used to heavily smoke. Both have had several heart attacks between them and strokes and the like. Both are living in there 80s at the moment. There diet is very basic, not eating good, not eating bad...
    So lets hope I have these genes!

the Grass fed beef thing is very good news to me as I was concerned about that...

dacec is offline Senior Member
    My favorite saying....Genetics loads the gun and diet fires it.....perhaps his genetics are just outstanding

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    My mother eats only fruits, grains, nutella, fruit spreads, milk, sugar, etc, and she isn't dying yet either. But I KNOW she will get diabetes one day, and honestly I am tired of trying to help.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    We should all be taking personal responsibility for our health. Your dad may be the lucky guy who lives to 110 with a horrible diet.

There are also cases of those people doing the CW thing, eating healthy by those standards, perfect medical check ups, work out regularly and by all accounts are perfectly healthy. Who then drop dead of a massive coronary.

My grandfather was one. He was barely 60, proper body weight, a runner and a regular dancer, given a healthy bill of health just a few months before he died. Of a massive coronary.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Soooooo... Basically, there is room for improvement. But it doesn't sound like his food choices are going to kill him any time soon. So that's AWESOME.

I'm pretty sure that NOT everyone here got started on this lifestyle because they were miserable. But that's a guess.

Choices are choices. If you can live with them comfy and cozy then go for it.

I mean, If I could have the sexy bod that I've seen and know is in here somewhere, I'd eat ice cream and cookies every day... But that's not a reality...

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    it's a genetic metabolic type called high occtane...that allows those you call 'lucky' to get away with a life of cereal and donuts/buscuits WITH butter haha....the gene has the ability for people regardless of their insulin load with of without fat, they will never become insulin resistant. i guess it is the lucky gene. VERY VERY few people still have that kind of metabolism. but those that do, and it has to do with mitochondrial activity & their metabolism, will those who can eat what they want, smoke & booze as they please and live till 3459138450134

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast