Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Statins page

Karyn S is offline Member

Statins

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone know if there is really is a "rebound effect" when stopping statins?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Why would a temporary spike matter? If you were to measure your cholesterol regularly, you would find it was all over the place. Your cholesterol reading is like a blood sugar reading.

There is no advantage for women to take statins, and there is no correlation between blood cholesterol and heart attacks in women.

More than you ever wanted to know about statin side effects

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Why would a temporary spike matter? If you were to measure your cholesterol regularly, you would find it was all over the place. Your cholesterol reading is like a blood sugar reading.

There is no advantage for women to take statins, and there is no correlation between blood cholesterol and heart attacks in women.

Well - I quit statins and started eating Primal and 1 month (or so) later had blood work - my numbers had increased to the point where my doctor scared the daylights out of me - WRONG diet for me - get back on statins immediately! Just wondering if the spike was mainly due to a 'rebound effect' of stopping the statin. And my cholesterol is measured every 3 months - with the statin it was not all over the place - quite steady and low.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    your body manufactures cholesterol. it's an imperative to the body and brain functioning optimally. if you are eating lots of fats, your body will eventually self-regulate and start producing less. in the meantime, your blood may show elevated cholesterol numbers. it may take 6-9 months for this to show "improvement".

however, there are far more potential negative issues with women being on statins. high cholesterol is NOT a disease. more and more studies are showing that higher numbers actually benefit women as we age.
    Last edited by noodletoy; 12-23-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    I agree as I too have read that high cholesterol is not a bad thing for women. This is obviously anecdotal but my 93 year old nan was told she has very high cholesterol and they tried to statinate her. Ffs. She's never had any health problems in all her years apart from the fact that she is mad lol

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm just going to leave this right here...

Is the use of cholesterol in mortality risk algorithms in clinical guidelines valid? Ten years prospective data from the Norwegian HUNT 2 study.

RESULTS: Among women, cholesterol had an inverse association with all-cause mortality [hazard ratio (HR): 0.94; 95% confidence interval (CI): 0.89-0.99 per 1.0 mmol L(-1) increase] as well as CVD mortality (HR: 0.97; 95% CI: 0.88-1.07). The association with IHD mortality (HR: 1.07; 95% CI: 0.92-1.24) was not linear but seemed to follow a 'U-shaped' curve, with the highest mortality <5.0 and ≥7.0 mmol L(-1) . Among men, the association of cholesterol with mortality from CVD (HR: 1.06; 95% CI: 0.98-1.15) and in total (HR: 0.98; 95% CI: 0.93-1.03) followed a 'U-shaped' pattern.

CONCLUSION: Our study provides an updated epidemiological indication of possible errors in the CVD risk algorithms of many clinical guidelines. If our findings are generalizable, clinical and public health recommendations regarding the 'dangers' of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial.
    In a nutshell, women live longer with higher cholesterol and die earlier when it's lower.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Thank you ALL! My mind was pretty well set before reading you great replies (just reread the statin stuff in the Blueprint) but now it IS. No more statins for me and I will 'steel myself' for my docs next reaction. But I'm sure things WILL straighten out eating primal and getting back to my exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post

Have been thinking about what you said here AND what I said in reply. Yes, my cholesterol numbers were quite steady WHILE ON STATINS. I am very new to this 'way of life' so I will defer to you because I believe nearly everyone here knows a lot more than I do. Having said that (and after eating a GREAT non-primal meal yesterday ), how do I deal with my doctor in 3 months if my numbers are still high and I stick to primal as well as regular exercise? If I tell him there is no correlation between blood cholesterol and heart attacks in women, he will just intimate in his way that I don't know what I'm talking about.

snoops is online now Senior Member
    take in some of the studies in the links above! Ask him for studies proving his side.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Karyn S View Post
    Have been thinking about what you said here AND what I said in reply. Yes, my cholesterol numbers were quite steady WHILE ON STATINS. I am very new to this 'way of life' so I will defer to you because I believe nearly everyone here knows a lot more than I do. Having said that (and after eating a GREAT non-primal meal yesterday ), how do I deal with my doctor in 3 months if my numbers are still high and I stick to primal as well as regular exercise? If I tell him there is no correlation between blood cholesterol and heart attacks in women, he will just intimate in his way that I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Unfortunately, doctors who are true believers will put a huge amount of weight on a study or two that only suggest a small benefit, while completely discounting a large amount of evidence that statins are neither safe nor effective. At some point you may have to take control of your own medical care. Your doctor does not have to live with the consequences of his mistakes, you do.

My girlfriend's doctor put her on statins after claiming the evidence was strong that they help women like her (who have no history of heart attack or disease) live longer. They don't. She had serious side-effects from which she is still recovering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast