Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does my dog eat his own ..... page

Iron Will is offline Senior Member

Why does my dog eat his own .....

Primal Fuel
    Poop???? It's gross! And then he wants to come over and give me a big kiss afterwards! Does anyone know why dogs do this???

Heyo Jay is offline Senior Member
    Ew. That's weird lol.

I could see it if your dog ate other poop... But that's super strange to eat his own!
    My interesting paleo weight loss blog

jammies is offline Senior Member
    It's pretty common actually. It's called copraphagia. The current theory is that it simply a behavioral thing and not usually an indication of any health issues. Some people feel it is the result of a nutrient deficiency and try different things. Did it just start?

The two things I have heard of helping are to make sure to pick poop up as soon as he goes and to add a certain powder to their food. It makes the poop taste nasty (nastier?).
    Last edited by jammies; 12-22-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I had the most perfect chocolate lab whose only fault was the love of recycled food. She wouldn't eat her own, just our other dog's, which oddly for me was better. My vet thought it was because i feed them fresh vegetables that did not completely digest, she was on a diet and she could get it fresh. We tried everything, including pumpkin and pineapple which was suppose to make the poop taste bad. I always kind of thought all poop tasted bad! They also make commercial powders to make it taste icky to them but my dog would still eat it. The only thing that worked was limiting her access to it.

There is little so gross as fresh dog poo breath!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Probiotics.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    He's done it before but only when it snows. I don't know if it's because he likes poopsicles or not but I caught him this morning and called him back in before he ate the whole thing.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I heard/read it's a b vitamin deficiency which is apparantley present in feces. Too lazy to look it up now, but might be b12. Either way it's one of the major reasons i dont want to get a dog! It's discusting and i dont want them licking me!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    My dogs love all poop except canine.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    A weekend poop thread!

And it's different from the I'm pooping pebbles/liquid threads. Where's the Like button?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Poop???? It's gross! And then he wants to come over and give me a big kiss afterwards! Does anyone know why dogs do this???
    We have a shih-tzu who loves to do this, especially with other animals. Apparently it's breed specific. The theory is that there are partially digested nutrients available in the poop so the dogs are trying to 'recycle' it. It's nasty but normal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast