Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: let's talk woodstoves... page

  1. #1
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,055

    let's talk woodstoves...

    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Like the title says, it's wintertime, so let's talk stoves. What state do you live in? What stove are you burning? What kind of wood? How do you like it? So on and so on...

    My Hearthstone finally crapped out so we had to replace it. We purchased a jotul f500 oslo. Jotul was offering 10% off, so the timing was good. I will be picking it up in a few days and putting it in. Pretty much a direct plug and play based on the dimensions of our old stove and current hearth and flue setup. I can't wait to fire it up
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  2. #2
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,350
    My family has a cabin that has a Vogelzang Performer. I tried to use it once and failed. I am going back there again next week. Teach me the ways of lighting a good fire in a woodstove!! I read the manual and thought I was following the instructions. Except maybe the wood I was using was not properly dried. I will bring some good quality/kiln dried wood next week. Or something.

    @notontherug: How does a woodstove crap out? I thought they were more or less indestructible. Like cast iron pans.

  3. #3
    TheyCallMeLazarus's Avatar
    TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
    Posts
    994
    Well for me, the title to this thread would be like cookie monster seeing a thread titled "Let's talk chocolate chips"....

    In my current cabin that I built in the 18 months, I brought a family wood stove that used to be in my father's hunting cabin. We still use the cabin, so he replaced it with a newer one up there while I took the old one. It is a 1938 Home Comfort stove that has obviously been around awhile. It is my only heat source right now, but at present I am only heating about 900 sq feet, something it does easily.

    I am almost done with the major addition to the cabin though, in construction of a living room and adjacent bedroom that will double the living space.....considering this, I am looking for a new stove. A friend has offered me a 1967 Avalon stove with a double combustion chamber, which I plan on installing ABOVE the ground fireplace in the center of the room. The plan is to have a central column of a fireplace, then woodstove above, all in a grey soapstone encasing. This will keep the new living room super warm I bet.

    @ yodiewan.....a woodstove only last forever if you take good care of it. Most of all, the front door must be kept free of ashes or debris, otherwise the front seal will start to corrode. If this happens, the stove is almost worthless. Also, the flue can become corroded as well if it is not given a clean entry-point into the main chamber. This leads to a "starving stove" that can only be kept hot by constantly churning wood through it. The casing of the stove is best to be kept protected with hearthstone on a lot of newer models, even though the manufacturers won't tell you that.....a lot of them are made with inferior steel than the old models, so without protection the side walls will slowly warp and lose conductance.....this is why I have my #1 rule with wood stoves....if it did not come from the United States or Canada, it is likely a piece of garbage. Far Eastern steel is terrible, so when you look for the "hot new deal", a lot of them will be from Asian steel that was not forged very well. You will get what you pay for, unfortunately.

    Now for my firestarting tips

    1) Don't start with a totally swept out stove. The ashes hold heat well and will provide a good base.
    2) Ensure that the flue entry is clear. On my stoves, this is a little round hole just in front of the door. Use a pipe cleaner to keep it wide open.
    3) Keep the flue 100% open when you are lighting it, and only close it once you have a good rolling fire.
    4) Get a standard quarter log and split it into shards, no more than about 2 inches thick for any of them. Stack one pile of the shards towards the back, with a separate pile toward the front. Stack them 4-5 inches high, and arrange them parallel to each other.
    5) Between your two parallel wood piles, put down a whole row of bunched up newspaper. Put cardboard on top of the paper, then more wood shards on top perpendicular to the two parallel piles....this is your "tinder box".
    6) Light the newspaper on both ends, and continue to put wood in the middle in small pieces. Once it is good and built up, raise the parallel woods piles into the fire one at a time.
    7) Never place any large piece of wood DIRECTLY on the floor of the stove. This doesn't allow any oxygen to flow underneath. Lean it against the side, even by a tiny amount.
    8) Add normal logs, placing in at an angle.

    Hope this helps

    Has anyone used a pellet stove? I always hear they are supposedly easier to use, but not as hot. Boo on that.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

  4. #4
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,350
    Thanks, Lazarus! I will certainly try out those tips next week.

  5. #5
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    My family has a cabin that has a Vogelzang Performer. I tried to use it once and failed. I am going back there again next week. Teach me the ways of lighting a good fire in a woodstove!! I read the manual and thought I was following the instructions. Except maybe the wood I was using was not properly dried. I will bring some good quality/kiln dried wood next week. Or something.

    @notontherug: How does a woodstove crap out? I thought they were more or less indestructible. Like cast iron pans.
    I usually crumble up a few pieces of newspaper and place them directly on the grate. Then I stack a few layers of kindling in crisscrosses. One layer goes one way, the next goes the other way. I use a mix of cedar and maple for kindling. Then I put a few medium sized splits on top of that. Light it and close the door. Give it plenty of air and let it come up to a reasonable temp. Add a few big splits and let it burn for a few more minutes, then shut the air down to whatever level I want to burn it at. It's important to use well seasoned wood. And every stove and flue are different, so each home setup has it's own characteristics.

    As for my hearthstone, we had purchased it used (very cheap), and it was in good working order, but we knew we may only get a few years out of it. This particular stove is 30 years old and parts are no longer available. The construction is 2 layers of cast iron with soapstone on the outside. Basically, the interior fire box iron has been destroyed from years of use and abuse and it has actually cracked and a large piece came out. I don't feel safe burning a very hot fire in it and there is no real way to fix it affordably.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  6. #6
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Well for me, the title to this thread would be like cookie monster seeing a thread titled "Let's talk chocolate chips"....

    In my current cabin that I built in the 18 months, I brought a family wood stove that used to be in my father's hunting cabin. We still use the cabin, so he replaced it with a newer one up there while I took the old one. It is a 1938 Home Comfort stove that has obviously been around awhile. It is my only heat source right now, but at present I am only heating about 900 sq feet, something it does easily.

    I am almost done with the major addition to the cabin though, in construction of a living room and adjacent bedroom that will double the living space.....considering this, I am looking for a new stove. A friend has offered me a 1967 Avalon stove with a double combustion chamber, which I plan on installing ABOVE the ground fireplace in the center of the room. The plan is to have a central column of a fireplace, then woodstove above, all in a grey soapstone encasing. This will keep the new living room super warm I bet.

    @ yodiewan.....a woodstove only last forever if you take good care of it. Most of all, the front door must be kept free of ashes or debris, otherwise the front seal will start to corrode. If this happens, the stove is almost worthless. Also, the flue can become corroded as well if it is not given a clean entry-point into the main chamber. This leads to a "starving stove" that can only be kept hot by constantly churning wood through it. The casing of the stove is best to be kept protected with hearthstone on a lot of newer models, even though the manufacturers won't tell you that.....a lot of them are made with inferior steel than the old models, so without protection the side walls will slowly warp and lose conductance.....this is why I have my #1 rule with wood stoves....if it did not come from the United States or Canada, it is likely a piece of garbage. Far Eastern steel is terrible, so when you look for the "hot new deal", a lot of them will be from Asian steel that was not forged very well. You will get what you pay for, unfortunately.

    Now for my firestarting tips

    1) Don't start with a totally swept out stove. The ashes hold heat well and will provide a good base.
    2) Ensure that the flue entry is clear. On my stoves, this is a little round hole just in front of the door. Use a pipe cleaner to keep it wide open.
    3) Keep the flue 100% open when you are lighting it, and only close it once you have a good rolling fire.
    4) Get a standard quarter log and split it into shards, no more than about 2 inches thick for any of them. Stack one pile of the shards towards the back, with a separate pile toward the front. Stack them 4-5 inches high, and arrange them parallel to each other.
    5) Between your two parallel wood piles, put down a whole row of bunched up newspaper. Put cardboard on top of the paper, then more wood shards on top perpendicular to the two parallel piles....this is your "tinder box".
    6) Light the newspaper on both ends, and continue to put wood in the middle in small pieces. Once it is good and built up, raise the parallel woods piles into the fire one at a time.
    7) Never place any large piece of wood DIRECTLY on the floor of the stove. This doesn't allow any oxygen to flow underneath. Lean it against the side, even by a tiny amount.
    8) Add normal logs, placing in at an angle.

    Hope this helps

    Has anyone used a pellet stove? I always hear they are supposedly easier to use, but not as hot. Boo on that.
    Great old stoves. Both of them. I was looking at a couple of refurbished fisher stoves, but nothing worked out.

    So are you not a fan of jotul or lopi? Most regard them as 2 of the top makers worldwide.

    I wanted to get away from soapstone, so I had looked at some vermont castings and quadrafires as well, but the new vc stoves seem to have terrible reviews and only 1 of the quadrafires would fit my setup. I need a rear flue because I vent in to my old fireplace and most makers dont offer rear flue anymore. My chimney setup was redone 3 years ago, so there is no way I'm paying to change anything anytime soon. But with a 21ft flue, with a 6" liner, even with the rear vent, it draws air amazingly well.

    Pellet stoves are convenient and throw a lot of heat, but they have electric blowers. So if you lose power and don't have a generator, you're screwed
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  7. #7
    Zanna's Avatar
    Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    727
    Has anyone used a pellet stove? I always hear they are supposedly easier to use, but not as hot. Boo on that.
    I had a pellet stove. They don't put out nearly as much heat as a wood stove. Lots of maintenance with cleaning the stove, as it could get clogged pretty easily. A lot of the performance depends on the quality of the pellets. Poor quality pellets break easily and create lots of dusty and small pieces that contribute to clogging. In retrospect, I would have rather installed one of those multiple-fuel furnaces with a big hopper that can take anything, from cherry pits to pellets. Hopper size could be an issue too - even if you had a big hopper (to reduce the frequency of refilling) you would still end up having the stove just shut down because something got stuck. And it would just shut off if something malfunctioned. I had to replace the auger motor after owning it for two months and also had the sensor pad itself short out. Which is something you don't notice until the room has gotten really cold. I eventually sold it, though I do know people that are happy with them. Wood stoves are way better.
    Last edited by Zanna; 12-22-2013 at 04:58 PM.

  8. #8
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Port Townsend, Washington
    Posts
    3,736
    We have a Mørso (Danish.) It's our third house with this brand and we love it!

    It takes 10" or smaller logs (tiny house=tiny stove), so we use a mix of scrap lumber, smaller branches and custom logs cut by a good friend when he thins trees on his girfriend's property.

    It's mostly fir, alder, madrona, cherry and cedar around here.

    We are looking into these as supplemental fuel, since some of the wood up here in the Pac NW can take a couple of years to dry properly. They are $225 for a ton, so pretty good value, if we can find a friend with a big enough truck to borrow.

    We use compressed sawdust firestarters.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 12-22-2013 at 05:53 PM.

  9. #9
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    We have a Mørso (Danish.) It's our third house with this brand and we love it!

    It takes 10" or smaller logs (tiny house=tiny stove), so we use a mix of scrap lumber, smaller branches and custom logs cut by a good friend when he thins trees on his girfriend's property.

    It's mostly fir, alder, madrona, cherry and cedar around here.

    We are looking into these as supplemental fuel, since some of the wood up here in the Pac NW can take a couple of years to dry properly. They are $225 for a ton, so pretty good value, if we can find a friend with a big enough truck to borrow.

    We use compressed sawdust firestarters.
    Morso makes nice stoves too. I had looked at a few of them as well. Beautiful.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  10. #10
    DinoHunter's Avatar
    DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,170
    Im in Scotland
    We live in a 300 year old fishermans cottage without any central heating so have a stovax(sp?) stove. If its cold (mostly the wintertime) we burn coal but if its just a bit chilly then I prefer burning peat (we also sometimes use logs if we can get them. )

    Nothing beats a peat fire for the smell
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

    http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •