Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heart Racing page 2

BluSkye is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey guys... Have a look at this and let me know what you think:
    Low Carb Diet Side Effects
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.c...oglycemia.html

This must be true because the magnesium helped me !!!
    Last edited by BluSkye; 12-22-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Totally normal, because you are dehydrated. Your body just dumped its electrolytes. You need to find sources of sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.

Also, eat whatever carbs you eat right before bed.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Totally normal, because you are dehydrated. Your body just dumped its electrolytes. You need to find sources of sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.

Also, eat whatever carbs you eat right before bed.
    Amazing, Knifegill.. I pretty much had every symptom listed here since starting last week. I think I definitely had reactive hypoglycemia. I'm excited to get this healed.

Lotusberries, did you have any of these side effects, or do you feel that your experience was totally unrelated to this ? It would be good to know. Thanks.

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    What makes you think you have reactive hypogylcemia? Did you measure your BG? What you call reactive hypoglycemia is actually "false hypoglycemia," and is an imaginary state conjured up by low-carbers to rationalize VLC side-effects; they're basically saying you're not "keto-adapted" yet. False hypoglycemia is rare and is only possible if you are diabetic or prediabetic to begin with. You don't have false hypoglycemia all of a sudden. If you have it, you'lll have it from the moment you start low-carbing.

Plus, in a VLC/ketogenic state, your fasting tends to rise a bit to preserve glucose and put you in a state of insulin resistance physiologically, so it's difficult to experience reactive hypoglycemia.

What you have is a typical VLC side-effect. Just google heart palpitations, heart racing, VLC/ketogenic diet. The problem is not with you but the extreme and problematic diet that you're trying to implement without full knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by BluSkye View Post
    Amazing, Knifegill.. I pretty much had every symptom listed here since starting last week. I think I definitely had reactive hypoglycemia.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Another vote against hypo-anything. It's the fluid dumping and possible stress hormones if you're new to this way of eating. I did keto and near-keto for three years and can totally relate to all of your symptoms. After about three weeks, once you've found good sources of electrolytes, this all goes away for most people. And drink LOTS of water, and for a quick fix salt for now. Ideally you want to eat a lot more potassium than sodium, but that's fine tuning for later. And do make sure you're getting enough CALORIES. Especially at first! The last thing you need is a caloric deficit while your body is upregulating digestive enzymes and learning to run on fat.

Definitely eat before bed, and try to take your carbs then. Maybe half a potato or some dairy. If that doesn't fix it, then drop this whole low-carb thing and just eat the so-called "safe starches" in normal amounts if your gut can digest them, etc. The heat flash, check with the Peat people, they love to talk about it.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 12-22-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Another vote for the loss of Mag and Potassium via water shedding from the lack of carbs. Try adding some trace drops to your water.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    How many carbs are in these cooked veggies? "Lo-carb" doesn't mean no-carb. People start having problems when they go below ~30g carb/day. Looks like you went too low too fast.

lotus berries, may I ask what your carbs levels were/are?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    lotus berries, may I ask what your carbs levels were/are?
    They were around 80-150g, most of the time closer to 100g I'd say. I did try lower than 50g for a short while but I was pretty miserable and had no energy. Now I'm eating 200-300g and I'm very happy, heart is being completely normal, sleeping well, not bingeing, and losing weight again. I have also been taking magnesium every night for the last year or more, and even when eating lower carb my heart would pound at night.

Hi. Thanks for all the responses and the votes

Before I started Keto I did have blood sugar problems especially my fasting. My mineral/vit supplementation was aleady good, and I had bettered my diet throughout the year, but I felt my diet was still hindering me. So here I am !

Thanks Chopped Liver, it does sound more like I had VLC (what does that stand for ?) /keto side effects. I went too fast and probably more importantly was not eating enough veggie carbs and not eating more frequently, like they say you should in the beginning. But I didn't know all of this, never read it anywhere. Thanks Oxide.

My blood sugar was normal during this too, and I did feel dehydrated, especially, when I'd have an 'episode.' I would run for water with a pinch of sea salt! But it really wasn't until I took the Magnesium that it went all away, every symptom, and I've been perfectly fine ever since !!!

So, Im thinking it was a combo of all these things, and especially dehydration. Thanks to those who voted for dehydration. Thanks Bobert.

So Chopped Liver, you think the Keto diet is too extreme? What other problems do you see with the diet aside from these we've discussed? Knifegill, you are no longer on Keto ? If so, why ?

I have been eating a rice cracker with butter and cheese before bed ! It seems to be working. I sleep all through the night. I am pinching myself because I've had insomnia for several years. This to me is the best thing I've experienced so far.

I would like to incorporate some carbs back if they are safe and don't spike my bs (blood sugar ). I think I saw a topic about that here several days ago on this forum, and will see what that is all about. I think that taking back a small amount, is not going to undo the diet, but will see.

So how are you guys counting your carb calories? Are you using some kind of counter ?

Glad you are feeling better and your diet is working for you, Lotusberries. Maybe some people need more carbs or can tolerate more carbs than other people. I guess we have to find our niche.

Thank you again everyone for your input !
    Last edited by BluSkye; 12-26-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12