Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding diabetes.... what/how to eat? page

FireFinder is offline Senior Member

Avoiding diabetes.... what/how to eat?

Shop Now
    My dr tells my I am close to pre-diabetic. I have eaten moderate carbs for a long time, with periods of VLC. My higher carb periods are still probably under 200g carb/day.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to what I should be eating to stave off diabetes. Is it VLC? I am drawn to eating that way b/c it really seems to keep weight stable and cravings under control, but all the talk about how VLC is damaging and dangerous is a concerning.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    What does that mean? Being "close to pre-diabetic"? Are your sugars and/or A1C high?

How's your weight? Do you know if you have a family history of T1D or T2D?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    There's plenty of room between 200g and VLC. My BG stays in the mid-80s on average carbs 100~150g and I try to "handle with care" meaning no starches outside of a meal setting and no fructose on an empty stomach (fruit = dessert), plus due attention to activity, circadian stress, and gut microbes--these can often impact metabolism more than a carb total.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    What does that mean? Being "close to pre-diabetic"? Are your sugars and/or A1C high?

How's your weight? Do you know if you have a family history of T1D or T2D?
    Yes, glucose and A1C both high- I don't have the numbers with me. The fasting glucose was the high end of normal and the A1C was in the pre- diabetic range (I remember around 7% if that make sense?)
    When the test was run I had been eating vlc for a couple of weeks- so glucose and insulin test were normal but the A1c indicated the long term sugar consumption was too high.

I have type 2 diabetes on both sides of my family- my father is currently quite unhealthy as a result. My grandfather died after years of being diabetic.

My weight is "normal" at 5'7" 138, but slowly creeping up and I can't seem to drop weight.

Dr says cut back on sugar and white carbs. I already have!! Is like to avoid meds. Is there a primal answer?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Try checking out Blood Sugar Solution book by Mark Hyman from a local library, it has very detailed recommendations on how to portion starches and fruit. Some of his recommendations will disagree with primal tenants, but a Paleo version is doable.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Some research suggests that it is as much the sugar and flour as it is also polyunsaturated fats (corn, soybean, canola oil, for example), perhaps the combination of all three together. So avoid all those things. If you're going to use fat, make it olive oil or butter or other natural fats in foods, never manmade fats.

I would suggest that you consider exercise as well. And by exercise I mean stuff that drains your glycogen reserves such as resistance training and sprinting along with plenty of slow movement like walking or hiking.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Grizz is offline Banned
    This is a very simple answer, just 2 simple rules:

NO SUGARS OF ANY KIND. This includes NO High Fructose Corn Syrup, no soda pop.

NO BREADS OR ANYTHING ELSE MADE FROM FLOUR & GRAINS.

2 Simple rules will reverse your blood sugars, and you WILL lose body fat.
    See these links on Losing Weight"
    http://tinyurl.com/Wheat-Health-Problems

Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    This is a very simple answer, just 2 simple rules:

NO SUGARS OF ANY KIND. This includes NO High Fructose Corn Syrup, no soda pop.

NO BREADS OR ANYTHING ELSE MADE FROM FLOUR & GRAINS.

2 Simple rules will reverse your blood sugars, and you WILL lose body fat.
    See these links on Losing Weight"
    http://tinyurl.com/Wheat-Health-Problems

Grizz
    Sugars include fruits, right? And do potatoes have less impact on blood sugar than grains?

So then, you'd say eggs, meat, veg only?

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you necesarilly need to avoid fruit altogether. Just don't go bananas

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    Sugars include fruits, right? And do potatoes have less impact on blood sugar than grains?

So then, you'd say eggs, meat, veg only?
    No, I didn't say that. You can eat fruits of any kind. That is natural sugars. Not fruit juices, because they contain far more sugar than a natural fruit. Stay with natural fruits & other approved Paleo Foods.

Yes potatoes have FAR less of an impact than grains, as long as you don't add unhealthy things to them.

I say a strict Paleo Diet which includes meat, fish, natural oils & natural grease, veggies, nuts, fruits, you know the routine.

Just stay away from breads, grains, & sugars both real & artificial.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-21-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast