Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge cholesterol increase on paleo page

Karyn S is offline Member

Huge cholesterol increase on paleo

I am told I have heart disease so my blood lipids are checked regularly and all are quite good except triglycerides. (Am on Lipitor and want OFF!) I know Lipitor does nothing for triglycerides anyway. Started eating primal about 1 1/2 months ago. Banned sugar (except in fruit) and grain. I was hungry at first but gradually adjusted. Lost weight, felt great until yesterday. Got results of blood work and my cholesterol (ldl) nearly tripled, triglycerides nearly doubled. Even glucose was up some (that has never happened). Doc said I just cannot eat this food. I pretty much agree that cholesterol does NOT cause heart disease - mine was not elevated when I had MI 2 1/2 years ago but of course, I am on Lipitor for some reason that I cannot discern except to keep my cholesterol 'in check according to Big Pharma guidelines'. So now I don't know what to eat or what to do because the doc scared me badly. Any advice?

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Post your full labs please.

Timthetaco Guest
    How's your liver health? I would definitely be worried about a doubling of triglycerides. If you want lower cholesterol, cut down on saturated fat (especially dairy) and eat more fruit and starch.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Hi Karyn,

Have you been treated for thyroid issues?

I cane across this article the sheet day: http://www.healthcentral.com/cholest...yroid-disease/
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    How's your liver health? I would definitely be worried about a doubling of triglycerides. If you want lower cholesterol, cut down on saturated fat (especially dairy) and eat more fruit and starch.
    All other results are normal. I had cut out all dairy. Was eating meat, veggies and fruit. So now meat and fruit are gone and I do NOT know what to eat. Very depressing

Will get them in a form to post. Thank you

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Some numbers will get skewed a little if you are losing weight. Also, just how much fruit and what kinds are you eating? Are you eating lots of potatoes both white and sweet? I ask because fruits and potatoes can elevate triglycerides significantly in some people. Triglycerides are a sign of carbs being turned into fats. They can also rise due to weight loss and the body releasing stored fats.
    You say your ldl tripled, what happened with your hdl?
    Look at the quality of foods in your diet. If your Doctor is making a deal about your blood sugar, then you need an A1C test. Try tracking your overall intake of food to make sure you aren't over doing one thing.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You are female. Plenty of ripe old ladies have TC in the 300's and higher. It means almost nothing for women AFAIK.

You can't rely on this test if you have lost weight recently. Your doctor is dumb if he/she doesn't know that. Your weight should be stable for at least a few weeks before you test again.

And, of course, avoid all coconut products.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

endless is offline Senior Member
    Why would you need to avoid coconut?

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Coconut raises ldl. The large fluffy kind you want, but it raises it none the less. If you need to have your numbers look good for a test, avoid the coconut.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast