Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge cholesterol increase on paleo page 4

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Karyn S View Post
    I am hoping the exercise will raise my HDL - seems it's about the only thing that will. If I am wrong - please tell me and I'll do it.
    Saturated fat (animal fats) will raise your HDL. It's the main reason why saturated fat is treated like the devil.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Karyn S is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Saturated fat (animal fats) will raise your HDL. It's the main reason why saturated fat is treated like the devil.
    Hmm - I was eating red meat every day - all other numbers went way up but HDL remained exactly the same.

And another thing I thought of - eggs seem to be the culprit for trigs for me. One other time I was very ill (no details - too boring) but all I could eat was scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes. My trigs were quite high at next blood check but stopped eating eggs and it was down the following check. My trigs have always been somewhat elevated - generally in the vicinity of 200 - 220. BUT I only recently started primal (which I stopped as of last Thursday and went back on lipitor and feel quite bad now. Did that because my dr. scared the daylights out of me) When I started eating primal and stopped lipitor I felt GREAT in a very short amount of time - took a few weeks for muscle aches to go away but they did. And I was quite hungry at first while figuring out what to eat.

But I was not eating much in the way of carbs - mainly meat, salad veggies, eggs, fruit (now banished because of glucose #) and walnuts.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    First of all, I wouldn't take a statin, ever.

Secondly, It's quite puzzling that you have high Trigs and low HDL eating fatty meat (you were eating the fatty cuts, right?) and low carb. There's nothing that bad in what you were eating either (I wouldn't go VLC, since it can inhibit thyroid function which can increase LDL, even if it raises trigs).

Maybe eat more fresh fish? O3 is pretty good at lowering trigs.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Oh dear - no not fatty cuts - very lean. My misunderstanding - 'learned' that fatty meat is bad somewhere along the way and it seems to have stuck. Need to go back to the blueprint and try to unlearn the bad and really learn the good. And I cannot eat fish - too creepy to think about everything that is probably in fish so I can't even put fish in my mouth

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    First of all, I wouldn't take a statin, ever.
    I really do agree with this - feels like I'm taking poison. I'm calmer now that I have had a few days to 'recover' from the doc so I'm going to stop and reread blueprint and get going again. Hate that glucose went up so must cut out my grapes and apples.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Back to the fatty meat. My HDL went from 50 to 90 when I went Primal, and that was on pounds of bacon a week and dozens of eggs, steak with the fat on, etc. Animal fat should be a regular source of calories in general.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Back to the fatty meat. My HDL went from 50 to 90 when I went Primal, and that was on pounds of bacon a week and dozens of eggs, steak with the fat on, etc. Animal fat should be a regular source of calories in general.
    Thanks - think my problem was eating very lean meat - have been brainwashed for years that fat is bad. Well - at last I can eat a great steak (which I will starting tomorrow), adding bacon back into my meal plans and see what happens. As soon as I get things back under control I will try gradually adding eggs. Love them but they do increase my triglycerides. I think that won't happen once I'm 'cleaned up' eating primal for awhile.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    It's hard to imagine how your TG are 368 eating paleo. Of course you've only been doing it for 6 weeks, but still TG fall fast once you cut out the sugar and starch.

I'd stop eating all that high-sugar fruit. Veggies only.

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    It's hard to imagine how your TG are 368 eating paleo. Of course you've only been doing it for 6 weeks, but still TG fall fast once you cut out the sugar and starch.

I'd stop eating all that high-sugar fruit. Veggies only.
    Thanks - I think it was eggs that raised TG. Have cut those out and cut WAY down on fruit because glucose went up too - it never has before. Also not eating starch so it's a mystery except that I started eating primal AND stopped statin at the same time and had blood work (previously scheduled) too soon. Think my system was in a bit of shock over the many changes so quickly.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You are going to have trouble if you try to do Primal to change your blood panels and also work with the doctor you have. You are very likely to not ever see results that will please your doctor and it will be a constant back and forth as he scares the daylights out of you and you question what you are doing with Primal. The results you and your doctor are hoping to see are not going to happen eating Primal. The numbers you are chasing are actually not conducive to health and your doctor doesn't know that. You're in a losing situation here. You need a different doctor. Someone like Dr. Laz who posts in this forum. Good luck ever finding someone like that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast