Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge cholesterol increase on paleo page 3

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not YOU, lolz. People in general.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karyn S View Post
    Attachment 15003
    Maybe 3rd times a charm! Here are my labs.
    Feel free to email it to me and I will post it for you. Paint94979@gmail.com

RenegadeRN is offline Member
    Eggs are NOT dairy. Not even related.
    I agree with other comments about checking thyroid and liver functions, but most of all the part about skewed labs from recent or ongoing weight loss. I had a doc try to put me on 80! Mg of Lipitor after a 40lb weight loss! ... Uh, no thanks...idiot.

The apples and grapes are very high sugar fruits, I would try to limit to berries and drop it to maybe one serving a day. Have heard about coconut causing rise in LDL too.

Overall, try not to rush to a knee jerk reaction- it is nuts to think a diet of meat, veg, good oils and a little fruit could be unhealthy- period. Just my honest opinion, for what it's worth.

One last idea, if all else checks out, you may need to check for Apo E status. My understanding from Dr. William Davis' Heart Scan Blog is that people with that particular genetic variant need to sadly limit fats as well as carbs. Cruel.

Good luck to you.
    On breaking out of the healthcare box..."Box? What box? Take cover, it's gonna get ugly... "

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Definitely slow down on the apples and grapes, especially the grapes. They are one of the highest sugar fruits. +1 on the berries, low sugar high nutrient value. Give yourself some time once your weight stabilizes before you retest if possible.

Karyn S is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRN View Post
    Eggs are NOT dairy. Not even related.
    Thank you - so I am NOT eating dairy at all. I will substitute berries for grapes and apples. And I do not eat (but I love) coconut.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Oh man, this blog about cholesterol and statin drugs is priceless.
    Dr. Malcolm Kendrick | Scottish doctor and author of 'The Great Cholesterol Con'
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

paint94979 is offline Senior Member

Sonoran hotdog is online now Senior Member
    There's been no mention of exercise in this thread. What is your level of exercise? How much moving around at a slow pace are you doing? (you need several hours/week). How much are you lifting heavy things? Do you really fast 1-2 times/week?

PB is a system. You can't get there just by diet.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Ok, these are the numbers we're working with here:

Total Cholesterol: 255 (ignore their target range, this is fine)
    Trigs: 368 (this is too high, correct, but basically meaningless as a number while you are losing weight)
    HDL: 32 (this is too low)
    LDL: 149 (what really matters is the LDL/HDL ratio, so either this is too high or HDL is too low. my money is on the HDL)

So there are two things that you want to have happen to improve your Cholesterol numbers. Firstly, you want your trigs to go down, which is usually accomplished by the spontaneeous reduction in carbs that people make when they switch to primal. Maybe you should reduce your carbs a little more? Secondly, you want your HDL to increase, since the three ratios that are indicative of your health (TotC/HDL, Trig/HDL and LDL/HDL) all have HDL as the denominator, so increasing HDL will reduce and improve ALL of your ratios. You should increase your intake of saturated fat to make your HDL go up.

tldr: swap out some carbs for some animal fats in your diet and your numbers should head in the right direction.

p.s. I wouldn't worry about Trigs being too high while you are losing weight, since the fat you are losing comes out of your fat cells and into your bloodstream as triglycerides. Wait until you have finished losing weight before putting any credence in this number.

Lastly, there is a pretty good primer in my sig if you want to read up on Cholesterol more.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Karyn S is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Ok, these are the numbers we're working with here:

Total Cholesterol: 255 (ignore their target range, this is fine)
    Trigs: 368 (this is too high, correct, but basically meaningless as a number while you are losing weight)
    HDL: 32 (this is too low)
    LDL: 149 (what really matters is the LDL/HDL ratio, so either this is too high or HDL is too low. my money is on the HDL)

Lastly, there is a pretty good primer in my sig if you want to read up on Cholesterol more.
    THANK YOU so much - someone earlier asked about exercise. I go to the gym 3 times a week and start with 1/2 hour of walking and then 1/2 hour of weight training. However - I only started that a few weeks ago so it probably doesn't count yet - but it WILL! And I do not fast - don't believe I mentioned that but I don't. I am hoping the exercise will raise my HDL - seems it's about the only thing that will. If I am wrong - please tell me and I'll do it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast