Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about SARDINES! page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Tell me about SARDINES!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been trying to find snacks to take with me to the office to get me through the 1 - 5pm time period. I crossfit in the evenings, so I try to eat something around 3:00 to keep myself from going to the gym starved.

I just discovered Sardines a couple days ago, and realized that I could probably happily eat this for a snack quite regularly.

So tell me: Sardines okay as an everyday snack? I stopped eating Tuna every day because of the warnings about toxicity, and with the added fat of the Sardines packed in Olive Oil... I'm hoping this can be good everyday snack!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Sardines are short-lived, so don't have much chance to build up heavy metals, dioxins etc. I eat them every other day

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I have been trying to find snacks to take with me to the office to get me through the 1 - 5pm time period. I crossfit in the evenings, so I try to eat something around 3:00 to keep myself from going to the gym starved.

I just discovered Sardines a couple days ago, and realized that I could probably happily eat this for a snack quite regularly.

So tell me: Sardines okay as an everyday snack? I stopped eating Tuna every day because of the warnings about toxicity, and with the added fat of the Sardines packed in Olive Oil... I'm hoping this can be good everyday snack!
    Both are excellent though sardines are better. Even the tuna is not a mercury concern as the selenium content is very high, offsetting any concerns about mercury. The Seychelles Child Development Study showed this VERY convincingly. The concerning issues with tuna are environmental: bycatch and sustainability.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Sardines are fine to eat every day, I would think. They don't live very long and aren't predatory (Right?!).
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

strom is offline Senior Member
    Are the bones a risk factor for getting stuck in your throat? I don't like when I eat red snapper and have to spit out bones. Also aren't sardines really nasty tasting?

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    The main problem with snacking on sardines at work is coworkers complaining about the smell. They make me eat them outside.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I think that they're awesome nutritionally. I just don't want to eat them anymore. :/

*hugs mr. salmon fish*
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    It is easy to find skinless/boneless sardines, which is what I prefer for taste. I eat them a lot too. They are something of an acquired taste, but I really find them quite delicious -- with balsamic vinegar and the olive oil they're packed in over greens.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    You guys are awesome, thanks for the great information... especially about the tuna! Now I can buy a ton more and not feel so bad about it...

Looks like I am going to be buying a ton of sardines...

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    When I eat the boneless, skinless sardines it feels like eating tuna to me. I don't notice the bones or the skin when I eat the regular sardines, but when they're not there I feel like I'm loosing a lot of the fat and I'm eating a lot of muscle meat.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast