Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Newbie Ben-Jam-In page 2

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ben,
    Re the sushi, try another publix. My kids love sushi and we have had good luck w it from publix. The same guy has been there making it fresh for years. If course, we don't have great restaurants in our area so maybe it's relative!!!

Ben-jam-in is offline Junior Member
    Hi Marie,

Love mixed greens, sometimes kale or spinach as the base.

I had the same for breakfast but Salmon instead of tuna. Left over salad, left over
    veggies, broccoli, all into to bowl, with Salmon, a hard boiled egg and an avocado
    I only do a quarter of an avocado per meal. So good with a hot cup of coffee
    BTW I'm trying to switch, from EVOO to Coconut Oil, couple of tea spoons just
    to moisten the salad up. What's your take on coconut oil?

This is still very weird for me, for years I've believed that fats were at the root of all evil. I even tried Esselstyn last year, almost zero fat. lost little or no weight, easily gained back whatever I lost.

Here I am on a high fat diet. I actually had a steak last Friday night
    can't recall the time before that that I had steak, steak was scary, all that fatty red
    meat Streak and Veggies, primal I hope. I'm actually starting to get used to saying
    in restaurants "please don't bother bringing bread" I use to say, extra bread please

So I'm on this high fat diet for nearly 3 months and I lost 26 pounds.
    Go figure. By the way I never go hungry, I like to eat

Florida, yes I got here early this year, middle of October the heat was brutal.
    But yes November through February can't beat it.
    I've actually been trying to follow Mark's suggestion of walking bare footed
    so far so good. Feet hurt a bit but I recover by the next day.

I have to have dark chocolate everyday, 75 percent cacao I find tasty. Organic dark can be expensive. I keep trying new brands, I even saw one by the Paul Newman brand. Theo and Salazan I'll look for it. I limit myself to two squares, I claim

B

I love, love, love CO! I use it for cooking as well as a replacement for many body care products but
    I prefer EVOO for my salads.

Why are you wanting to not use the EVOO anymore? Just a curious is it taste thing or is there a health reason? I'm always learning and open to new ideas

Isn't it amazing what real simple food can do! I'm feeling so much better and looking forward for that to continue!

Congrats on the 26 pounds! Awesome!

K

AutumnTiger is offline Senior Member
    Heya Ben,

Just found your intro, so thought I would drop in and say hello.

Sounds like you have made great progress, and I love hearing how people get so excited eating this way - like coming home!

My signature shows that I lost 2 and a half stone in the first six months of 2013 on Weight Watchers - traditional low fat high carb, but found it unsustainable, I was full enough because I like to fill up on fruit and veg, which are free, and meat is OK but I was having to watch the fattier cuts, and I figured out for myself that bread is the devil's food, but every now and again I would have a binge meal or day, simply because my body (probably) needed fats.

I've been aware of primal probably for twelve months or so, but as a life-long initiate of the low-fat club it took me a while to come to terms with it. Now I just do it my way. I avoid the fat on a lot of meats still simply because I can't afford organic. But I have really taken to coconut oil and have a spoonful in a coffee each morning. I also love being able to have full fat olive oil based salad dressings. Think I am down about 7-10lbs in about five to six weeks, which isn't bad considering I have had one major life-changing event and a house move in that time; eating primally just seems to make it easier somehow.

Look forward to hearing more of your progress and your foodie discussions

Current: 16-Jul-14 = 211lbs (15.1 = +3 from low) | GW = 138lbs

Whole 30: Sat 7th June 2014 to Sun 6th July lost 14lbs; low of 14.12

Paleo Start: 16-Nov-13 at 234lbs | 22-Feb-14 = 219lbs dropped into cruise maintenance mode
    Previously: 2-Jan-13 to 17-Jul-13 lost 37lbs with WW

Knock me down, I'll get right back up again, come back stronger than a powered-up Pacman - Kaiser Chiefs

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Ben, your excitement is infectious. Great to hear about the results you are getting with this way of eating. It sure is a change of mindset, but the results speak fro themselves. Well done.

12/23/13

Hi Marie

May have to give Publix another try

Marie your question about CO vs EVOO, got me to thinking and researching.
    Trying to figure out where I got the notion about CO. From doing lots of googling and from Mark's book PB I sometimes forget where I pick up on the latest theories.
    But here is my take, remember this is the guy, me, who thought, six months ago, that a low fat high carb diet was going to save me

It appears that EVOO is high in Monounsaturated fat, approximately 70 percent
    of the fat in EVOO is MUFA. If I'm correct here the ratio of Omega 6's to Omega 3's
    is about 10 to 1 or so. Which is not horrible.

CO is over 90 percent Saturated Fat, The Polyunsaturated fat content are basically inconsequential. (I.e. the omega's)
    Apparently the quality of Saturated fat in coconut oil (pure) is of the highest magnitude.
    Not only that but, and there appears to be very little disagreement, CO is very slow to oxidize apparently it takes a long time to go rancid. Meaning, I believe, less concern about free radicals.

So seems like a good reason to consume both EVOO and CO.
    Although as of this moment I (personally) am not so clear on the benefits
    of MUFA.

an aside:
    Holy Cow there is so much contradictory information on the Internet
    and some of the old links that are now debunked are still out there
    it's like having unpicked up garbage in the streets.
    Here is an example, almost everyone (in the field) now admits that total cholesterol is not a predictor of CVD, but how many of the old sites/links articles, studies have been removed from the internet, claiming that it is a predictor.
    Will they be there forever like styrofoam. maybe long enough so it becomes true again in a few hundred years (okay, slowly getting off of the box)

Hi Annieh,

Thanks for the welcome
    You have no idea how excited, I've deleted a line or two because I thought it sounded
    a bit over the top. This is such a wonderful adventure, I feel like I'm in some
    Sci Fi (or fantasy movie in which I'm undergoing a physical transformation. When I think of the dire straights I was in that led me to stop eating grains 3 months ago. Sometimes I think that in life we need to be at some sort bottom to gain insight, wonder why, okay see I'm going over the top

Hi ATiger,

Thanks for the welcome
    Yes, it does feel like I've come home

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to say hi from a fellow DC/Marylander!

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-jam-in View Post
    I have to have dark chocolate everyday, 75 percent cacao I find tasty. Organic dark can be expensive. I keep trying new brands, I even saw one by the Paul Newman brand. Theo and Salazan I'll look for it. I limit myself to two squares, I claim

B
    Ohhh man, Salazon chocolate is amaaaazing! Also check out "the Tea Room" chocolate. It's beyond tasty.

I'm always up for checking out new dark chocolate!
    I'd love to find my dream dark chocolate.....(hey, gotta have priorities!) ....something at least 85%, organic, fair-trade, soy free and not a company or owned by a company that is against GMO labeling (Dagoba now owned by Hershey, G&B now a Kraft product). Of course, delicious and not too $ too.
    That would make me smile
    Suggestions very welcome!
    Thx!
    K

Hi Lyte, nice to meet you, I'm from the Rockville area

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast