Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good lifting program for fat loss? page

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member

What is a good lifting program for fat loss?

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing Starting Strength for over 4 months and have gained 20 lbs. I think my body is telling me it's time to switch over to "cutting" rather than "bulking". What is a good program to follow for that? I've read that you can decrease frequency and volume if you maintain intensity (bar weight).

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Same program....less food.

Well close to same program. You may consider dialing it back to only 1-2x/week if your intensity is high on those 1-2 times while your in a caloric deficit with lots of walking/jogging/swimming/hiking and 1-2 HIIT sessions/week.

Danco3636 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    I've been doing Starting Strength for over 4 months and have gained 20 lbs. I think my body is telling me it's time to switch over to "cutting" rather than "bulking". What is a good program to follow for that? I've read that you can decrease frequency and volume if you maintain intensity (bar weight).
    Leangains program works great..... Just use the Primal or Paleo approach to help optimize health...

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Leangains.
    Add IF to whatever you are already doing
    Avoid carbs for a few hours after whatever you are already doing
    Be patient and keep losing.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

JimenyKrickets is offline Senior Member
    I think diet is 99% of the battle. It is difficult, if not impossible for me to cut fat while trying to gain muscle so I cycle between the two. I eat more fruits, nuts and potatos for a spell, then cut out the carbs and eat only meat, eggs and dark vegetables to cut. I keep the same lifting program all the time. I recently started IF by skipping breakfast and lift in the morning and I have noticed some dramatic results.
    Last edited by JimenyKrickets; 12-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking of doing something like lifting, but taking two days off for rest (instead of one) between lifting days.

Obviously if you're in a deficit, you won't continue to increase the weight each workout...or is that possible? I guess what you are doing is basically enduring a long stall and trying to maintain strength?

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    You CAN lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Will you lose fast and gain fast? No, will you likely lose slow and gain slow, yes. I doubt you are a proffesional bodybuilder, yeah they can't cut and bulk at the same time... and only they should be using the terms cut and bulk.

If you've been lifting weights regularly, you can only expect to realistically gain a few pounds of muscle a year, max unless you are a genetic freak or using steroids.

Now... if you want to hack your strength gains and find adding two 5# plates to a bar is too much... I've got the solution for you! The Nutty Company - Leading Supplier of Stainless Steel Nuts and Bolts , get the UFW178 1-7/8 USS Flat Washer. They fit on an olympic bar and weigh about 0.6lbs each
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    To get lean your routine shouldn't change. Unless you are going to start running marathons every day then exercise has very little effect on removing body fat, I'm afraid this is all down to strict diet. Train hard and heavy and watch what you eat !

Fat Loss Myths Part 2: Cardio Is Necessary For Fat Loss | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    I'll probably be doing a cut in a few months and have been doing some research, but I can't really give you a good answer. Keep the intensity high, lower your volume, and keep eating plenty of protein. For the diet part, do some research on Leangains and Carb Nite. And add in some kind of conditioning (sprints, intervals, sled drags).
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Reventon is offline Senior Member
    I've pretty much done the dual run this year, simultaneously gained muscle and dropped fat (dropped a net amount of 40 lbs on the scale while steadily gaining muscle the whole time, net fat loss probably in the range of 50-60 lbs). In my case, I didn't follow anyone else's program, I wrote up my own based off research and prior training experience.

Not everyone can simultaneous lose/gain in big volumes and it all depends on your starting point. Obviously, I had a large excess of adipose tissue. Someone starting rather lean without a whole lot of fat isn't going to lose a ton of fat doing the same thing because their body will be much closer to homeostasis and be resistant to big compositional changes without a more disciplined cutting cycle. Irrespective of individual body composition genetics will also play a role, of course.

Without knowing your starting point, Hobbit, I can't really make an educated comment for your circumstances, but these are the principles that worked for me and why:

1) Begin every workout with a 5x5 compound lift

The reasons are well known. 5x5 has been continually touted to get the biggest androgenic response of any programming style. You need testosterone, growth hormone and IGF1 to successfully cut.

2) Superset, superset, superset
    However you choose to program the rest of your schedule, superset it. Whether you choose antagonistic or agonistic groups is up to you and often I'd mix this up to mess with my own head and challenge myself. Apart from the benefit to working a lot in a short time, supersetting lets you treat your whole workout as a sprint, going straight from one activity to the next. That competitive, ramped up mindset makes it more enjoyable and getting through volume mentally easier, as you've achieved more in less time. Cap rests to 60 seconds between supersets (30 if possible).

3) Tabata Cardio
    Finish the workout with this. You don't need more than 10 minutes most days, and if you've gone balls out lifting completing this will be an absolute shit. Bike, recline bike, rowing machine, treadmill, stepper, doesn't matter. Just ramp up your intensity for a true 20 second max effort followed by 10 seconds rest, rinse and repeat. Intensity matters more than anything else with this.

I throw the cardio in at the end because timing the activity to coincide with the hormone spikes seemed to work a treat. Painful, but effective. Plus you know without any real doubt that you've basically emptied your glycogen stores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast