Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a good lifting program for fat loss? page 2

StupidFatHobbit is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    OK so let me wrap my head around this...it's possible to make strength gains but they will be slower. So instead of seeing progress like you get when you eat a lot (for example, I usually do 3 sets of 5):

Monday 250lb 5 5 5
    Wed 255lb 5 5 5
    Fri 260lb 5 5 5

It's going to something be a lot more like

Mon 250lb 5 5 5
    Thurs 255lb 4 4 5
    Sun 255lb 5 5 4
    Wed 255lb 5 5 5
    Sat 260lb 4 4 3

etc... ?

Also, I'm curious what people think about this article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...ss-part-2.html

The basic conclusion, again from both research and practical experience is that both volume and frequency of training can usually be cut by up to 2/3rds (that is, to 1/3rd of what you did to improve it) but with one massively important caveat: the intensity of that training must be maintained.

Put another way, you could maintain volume and frequency at the same level but if you cut intensity, you will lose the adaptation. Basically any combination that’s ever been looked at only works if intensity is maintained.
    Last edited by StupidFatHobbit; 12-18-2013 at 08:55 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you need an extra day in between so that you can consistently hit 5 reps each time. If you are older, that is likely the case. Or perhaps you just need to rest longer between sets.

As for the quote you posted, the reason it is true is because it's that whole stimulus response cycle. The stimulus is more weight. More volume and frequency at the same level isn't enough of a stimulus to make you gain strength.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Again, go read my post about the washers. Try increase 1.2lbs at a time or 2.4 or 3.6 etc instead of adding 10lbs to a bar at a time.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    The basic conclusion, again from both research and practical experience is that both volume and frequency of training can usually be cut by up to 2/3rds (that is, to 1/3rd of what you did to improve it) but with one massively important caveat: the intensity of that training must be maintained.

Put another way, you could maintain volume and frequency at the same level but if you cut intensity, you will lose the adaptation. Basically any combination that’s ever been looked at only works if intensity is maintained.
    Yes, you CAN do it that way, if you prefer dieting hard! Another method is to keep a few high tension sets and add more volume, ramping up set, reps and cardio. More training sessions as well! Doing it that way, you can keep more calories and carbs in your diet while leaning out...

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    The best program is the one you can stick with. Other than that google carb cycling that will help with weight loss while maintaining enough energy to push hard.

@ryan I do have some 1.25 # plates I can use if needed.

I've tried lifting fasted before and boy that was rough. Even on just an ordinary caloric deficit or very low carbs I often want to go take a nap after a few sets.

I do incorporate some carb cycling in my diet already, but I'm wondering if I should cycle calories, or just eat at a deficit every day? I could go above maintenance on lifting days but then go much lower on rest days.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    @ryan I do have some 1.25 # plates I can use if needed.
    Keep them handy and seriously, try avoiding any carbs for several hours after weight training. Google 'carbless post workout' you'll see it on a lot of bodybuilding forums but it's very much not bro-science but real science. It's thoroughly discussed on a private forum but this one Carbless post workout info by conwict has a brief write up on it with the logic.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

After doing some reading am going to experiment with some alternate day fasting (sort of Leangains-ish) and see if that helps. I'll eat a surplus on lifting days but then a large deficit on rest days. If I can make slow but steady strength increases while losing fat I'll be quite happy with that.

SS and the constant eating in a caloric surplus has burnt me out anyway, so I'm looking forward to a change.

Heyo Jay is offline Senior Member
    20 pounds in 4 months is solid bro. Good job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12