Thread: Resistant Starch + Weight Gain page

iammysticyte is offline Member

Resistant Starch + Weight Gain

Primal Fuel
    Three years ago I went paleo. Diet + walking more than an hour per day got me from 280 to 200. I ate lots of fruit and almond butter and the weight still pealed off.

Last April, I got a new job and also started eating some rice and potatoes. My weight went back up to 230.

Three weeks ago, I decided to go back to strict paleo. However, since I have had digestive issues the entire three years, I decided to add in raw potato starch in hopes of improving gut health.

I have not lost any weight in the three weeks since getting strict again and I am wondering if the resistant starch is impacting weight loss. I know it isn't supposed to, but my lack of weight loss says otherwise. Also, I am only walking about 30 minutes per day, fwiw.

This all might sound overly dramatic, but in the past, a few days of strict paleo would unload 5 pounds. Weighing 230 is seriously impacting my day. Tight work pants are horrible.

Thoughts?

Primal and Proud is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iammysticyte View Post
    Three years ago I went paleo. Diet + walking more than an hour per day got me from 280 to 200. I ate lots of fruit and almond butter and the weight still pealed off.

Last April, I got a new job and also started eating some rice and potatoes. My weight went back up to 230.

Three weeks ago, I decided to go back to strict paleo. However, since I have had digestive issues the entire three years, I decided to add in raw potato starch in hopes of improving gut health.

I have not lost any weight in the three weeks since getting strict again and I am wondering if the resistant starch is impacting weight loss. I know it isn't supposed to, but my lack of weight loss says otherwise. Also, I am only walking about 30 minutes per day, fwiw.

This all might sound overly dramatic, but in the past, a few days of strict paleo would unload 5 pounds. Weighing 230 is seriously impacting my day. Tight work pants are horrible.

Thoughts?
    Seems to me you are working with more than one variable. It could be that the starches are hampering your efforts but you are also comparing your current routine of walking for a half hour to a routine where you were walking for more than an hour.

Try to test a single variable at once, in this case the starches. To do this, start walking/moving the same as you were previously and see if that makes a difference.

That is what I would do anyways.

Good luck!

Yeah, agreed. But I still wonder if anyone has noticed weight gain while taking resistant starch. The RS thread is so huge that it is hard to take anything away from it. LOL.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    How much rice/potatoes? I'd consider tracking your food intake for a week. See what calories are going in. Although I am not a strict adherent to the Calories in theory it is a good tool in figuring out what is going on. I've added resistant starch and it has not hindered weight loss/maintenance at all. I eat limited amounts of potato on a daily basis (100g). As you get older it isn't as easy to lose the weight and 5lbs in a few days is usually water.

Well, there is no question that I was eating too many potatoes and too much rice. I mistakenly delved into the world of gluten-free pizza.

I am sure that I am consuming too many calories. It is just that before, I could eat as much (meat, veggies, fruit and nuts) as I wanted and still maintain my weight of 200 lbs. Now I seem to be maintaining at 230 on a super strict (kitogenic) paleo diet.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Bodies change. First thing I would do is make sure you are not eating too much.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

But that's no fun....and it's hard!

But, in all honesty, that's probably a good place to start. Thanks.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Resistant starch isn't going to "impact" weight loss because it is starch, or resistant starch, or a carbohydrate, or anything like that per say. People gain weight when they "add in carbs" because they do exactly that - they ADD them. They take all their normal foods that they eat and dump on piles of carbohydrate. All that leads to is weight gain since you're adding hundreds of additional calories of food per day.

What you want to do is displace food calories for the resistant starch to see benefits. I would not recommend displacing protein sources. That would likely lead to fat gain since you'd be switching out a structure substrate that can't really be stored as fat (protein) for an energy substrate that can be stored as fat (carbohydrate). You want to displace fat for carbohydrate. If you want to add resistant starch to your diet, I would recommend cutting fat intake significantly - minimize fats and oils as much as possible at first, and if that isn't enough, experiment with leaner cuts of meat.

I consume resistant starch almost every day because I love cold potatoes. I make a big batch and toss them in the fridge, then put them in my lunch salads as needed. Funny thing - it's a fairly recent turn in the past 6 months. I've been simply ADDING them to my meals and not removing anything, and I haven't gained any weight at all. If anything, they help fuel my workouts so much better than rabbit food they may be helping me burn energy better.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

youtacolot is offline Member
    The RS thread is so huge that it is hard to take anything away from it. LOL.
    No kidding. A couple questions I have which are probably answered SOMEWHERE in that thread:
    1. I know to cool the potatoes in the fridge after baking. Must I eat them cold or can they be reheated?
    2. Do sweet potatoes have the same amount of RS or should I only bother with white potatoes?

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by youtacolot View Post
    No kidding. A couple questions I have which are probably answered SOMEWHERE in that thread:
    1. I know to cool the potatoes in the fridge after baking. Must I eat them cold or can they be reheated?
    2. Do sweet potatoes have the same amount of RS or should I only bother with white potatoes?
    I'm no expert but I know from the RS king tatertot .
    Reheating potatoes from cold in a dry heat source is most beneficial way to get the most RS. (Frying pan with some fat of choice to crisp up) you will get RS from cold potatoes but not as much.

Sweet potatoes do not have that much RS.
    Just vary your potatoes , there is so many varieties out there , Cyprus , Maris piper, russet, pink fur apple, purple ones called vivollete.

I would not cut sweet potatoes completely but add them once / twice a week

From London England UK