Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: thoughts on parent dietary habits/attitudes influence on kids page 5

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    For sure. Kids are very much observant of adults' habits.

I am on a skiing trip with my family and with another family. The other fam eats a shit ton of junk food. Just now because I am the oldest "kid" (if being 25 is being a kid lol... The others are all 13 and under) everyone else looks to me. One of the girls offered everyone hot Cheetos just 5 mins ago and my sister refused. Then brother and I shared some mangoes and then when I went to get a banana, the other girl who originally wanted hot Cheetos went to get a banana as well!

The siblings still eat plenty of junk but I do what I can.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Liquid Gusto is offline Senior Member
    deleted
    Last edited by Liquid Gusto; 01-10-2014 at 08:17 PM.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I will always credit my parents for one of the main characteristics of my eating that all my friends know:

I will eat anything.

If I know that some people, somewhere, consider what I am about to eat as good food, I will at least try it. This has included dorian, fish eyeballs, and all variations of Eastern "sauces".

Most of the time though it is organs, mostly heart, liver, lungs, kidneys, of just about anything. I plan on duck liver for Xmas (with the duck of course!), and tonight was Buffalo heart from a native American recipe book I got for my birthday....when others come to my house I always get a kick out of hearing "you don't have any food here"....To which I get to say something like "What? There is 300 pounds of meat and organs in the basement, 6 pounds of butter, and enough veg to fill a 20x20 root cellar. What do you need?"

This is all direct from my parents.....a lot of "normal kid food" like chicken nuggets or Cheetos never existed for us. We ate what the adults ate, usually something wild or from a neighbor, or we starved. I cannot remember once in my childhood where I was asked "So what do you want for dinner?"

We ate what they were making, or nothing. I was a child, so I didn't make those kind of decisions. Works better that way
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    To which I get to say something like "What? There is 300 pounds of meat and organs in the basement, 6 pounds of butter, and enough veg to fill a 20x20 root cellar. What do you need?"
    Agree!

We ate what they were making, or nothing. I was a child, so I didn't make those kind of decisions. Works better that way
    Also agreed. we make one meal. You eat that or you don't. Simple enough.

For whatever reason, a lot of people don't like to come to our place to eat. Every time, we generally serve roasted chicken or steak, mashed sweet potatoes (with orange and some pumpkin pie spice), some kind of salad/green veg, and then a paleo dessert (cake, bliss balls, raw ice cream, etc). We serve water and hot tea. What more do people want? It's all delicious food, so what?

Instead, everyone insists on taking us out, where they love the food and we are like "meh. I wish i'd had what I was going to make at home." LOL

Brunch for my family (christmas brunch) was crustless quiche (pear, gouda, and rocket), big green salad, cut fruit (apples and oranges), green juice (for those who wanted it), and hot roobois chai (with or without milk/coconut cream). They were actually happy with it, even though there was a lot of posturing about "going out to breakfast" after if it "wasn't enough."

Both quiches were gone, the salad was gone, the fruit was gone, the green juice was gone (since DH and I drank it -- we only made 20 oz anyway, our usual amount). So apparently it wasn't that bad.

Though I'm sure they went out to breakfast after anyway. Or got dunkin donuts.

Liquid Gusto is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    deleted
    Last edited by Liquid Gusto; 01-10-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345