Thread: **DUMB QUESTION -- Aren't eggs considered dairy? page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

**DUMB QUESTION -- Aren't eggs considered dairy?

Hi all,

I currently eat a little butter - 1-2x per week, eat greek yogurt occasionally, and eat organic cheeses occasionally. I have never been a huge milk lover, and I've been drinking almond milk for about 3 years (when I have milk). I think I could cut all of these out - at least for a while - to see whether dairy is having any kind of adverse effect on me.

But, I eat a ton of eggs - at least 4 days a week.

I have always thought eggs where considered dairy, so I've never thought I could go dairy-free, yet I'm seeing a lot of people on the forum say they don't consume dairy, and then they list off eggs as one of their staple foods.

Can someone please clear this up for me - exactly which items are considered dairy? Are eggs?

What is bad about eating eggs? About cheese? Butter?

Thank you!

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Eggs are protein and fat. They are just sold in the *dairy* sections of stores because that is where the refridgerators are. You can eat eggs, cheese and butter. Cheese and butter is considered dairy and I donot eat either because they stuff up my sinuses and cause me to break out with acne.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Dairy means milk and everything derived from milk, so eggs are not part of it.

Dairy is mainly thought to be problematic because it contains lactose and casein. Butter and heavy cream only contain trace amounts of those, so many people who don't respond well to dairy can still eat butter and cream. Also, if you only have a problem with lactose you can still eat cheese, since most types don't contain lactose. Finally, there's also lactose free milk, which I use for protein shakes.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Dairy=From cows in my book. Eggs are not made from the milk of cows.

Loren Cordain is somewhat anti-egg because they contain a lot of arachidonic acid which humans haven't consumed in significant quantities until the domestication of birds. While eggs are paleo, he reasons that eating tons and tons of eggs isn't because humans didn't have access to THAT many eggs throughout evolution. I tend to agree but then again I think that more omega 6 than is needed is the devil (deviled eggs? )

Eggs are definitely primal according to Mark. They're certainly a great source of nutrition. If you're eating a significant amount of them I would make sure that they're free-range from hens that got to eat some bugs or omega 3 eggs.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Ok, thanks. So dairy is just anything made from milk (which is also protein and fat, though, right?). I feel like a kindergardener having to ask about this, but I've always thought dairy was eggs, milk, cheese - dur.

How long did it take you to figure out that you felt better off dairy? Was it quick or a long process? I don't have sinus-y issues at all, but my skin has always had a tendency to break out - still does occasionally, even though I'm 42 (not fair!).

I posted before I saw these last 2 responses - thank you to all for explaining.

I buy free range local farm eggs most of the time (largely for ethical reasons but health too), and my mom supplies me with eggs a good deal of the time from her neighbor's chickens. We have plans for our own chicken coop hopefully in the near future (yes, I love eggs!). I generally eat 3-- 2 whole and 1 whites. I think I will stick with them but maybe experiment with going without cheese and the others for a while.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Sounds rock-solid to me.

I think everyone should go dairy free and see how it feels. Far too many people are sensitive to dairy. Even butter and cream.

Wwwwwwhhhhhyyyyy must milk products be so damaging to my insides?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know, right? Cheese tastes so danged good, but I know I can give this a whirl without feeling too deprived.