Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Death by Food Pyramid worth a read? page

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member

Is Death by Food Pyramid worth a read?

Primal Fuel
    It has been out a bit now, wanted to know if anyone things it's worth the pick up.

M.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Denise is a great writer.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Denise is a great writer.
    Yes she is, and I've read parts of her blog for over a year now. However, I can't give someone a clean pass on something new just because I liked their earlier stuff.

M.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've read her whole blog, from the first post to the most recent. I started following her when she first started working on her China Study critique.

Bilbo is offline Junior Member
    I'm 35 pages in, and it's a good read! She's really funny and informative.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I haven't gotten mine yet and I'm in Canada, and it's a week from Christmas... yeah. I'll let you know when I get it.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Not a book I will read, I already know that SAD is problematic. But it could be a book for friends or relatives that are plagued by the SAD consequences ...

YvonneJean is offline Junior Member
    I am still working my way through the book. So far nothing really new to someone already into the Primal lifestyle, but she makes some good points about not blindly following anything related to diet. She explains a lot of the jargon and types of studies and encourages the reader to think and judge everything for themselves.

The first chapters were slow for me, because I wasn't intrested in the politics behind the Food Pyramid. However, her writing style is great and flows well.

My favorite line so far (page 61 of the hard cover), was when she was talking about judging content on the internet, specifically government sites:

"The good news about government health-related websites is their nutrion advice will be consistent--- usually based on the USDA's latest dietary guidlines. The bad news about government health-related websites is their nutrion advice will be consistent--- usually based on the USDA's latest dietary guidlines."

For some reason that cracked me up. I intend to finish the book in the next few days, can post back when I am done.

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    YvonneJean, I cracked up at the same passage!

So far, I'm only about 85 pages into it. I enjoyed the brief history of the Food Pyramid. I'd never heard of Luise Light, and I thought the "Hard-to-Place" Food Pyramid, detailing where things like cake, cheese curls, and instant pudding fit into one's diet (as grain, grain, and dairy, respectively) had to be a joke--then realized, to my horror, that it wasn't.

Minger's writing style makes it an easy read. A lot of what I've read so far will be familiar to Paleo/Primal folk who have done a lot of reading and have any kind of science background. She discusses how to evaluate whether sources of nutritional information might be trustworthy, and covers the basics of reading research papers. Some may choose to skim over it. But there are a lot of people out there who don't know this stuff, and are intimidated by jargon, and I think Minger explains the basics in a very accessible way.

So far, so good; I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneJean View Post
    My favorite line so far (page 61 of the hard cover), was when she was talking about judging content on the internet, specifically government sites:

"The good news about government health-related websites is their nutrion advice will be consistent--- usually based on the USDA's latest dietary guidlines. The bad news about government health-related websites is their nutrion advice will be consistent--- usually based on the USDA's latest dietary guidlines."

For some reason that cracked me up. I intend to finish the book in the next few days, can post back when I am done.
    LOOOL! Just for that, I really want to read this book xD Sounds really good (and I am very interested in the politics behind the food pyramid).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast