Thread: Chicken Skin, Pork Cracklings, etc page

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member

Chicken Skin, Pork Cracklings, etc

Shop Now
    Is the protein in animal skin mostly gelatin, and therefore not a well-rounded source of protein? I remember reading a while ago that pork rinds are not a good source of protein for that reason, but I think (maybe?) rinds and cracklings aren't the same thing.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Chicken Skin, Pork Cracklings, etc

I wouldn't eat those sources for protein because of PUFA but gelatin is good for protein when combined with other complete proteins for its high glycine content. I get porcine gelatin in a can and if I want gelatin from cheap whole food sources I get it from lamb/beef bone broth.

Don't have gelatin as your only protein source. Gelatin pairs nicely with everything else because the amino acid profile of gelatin + muscle meat for example is closer to the amino acid profile you would get from eating wild animals head to tail and hence healthier.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 12-17-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I think they are actually a necessary compliment to the meat you are eating. As a traditional society we would not throw away any portion of the animal that could be consumed. This is doubly true for skin, cartilage, and fat. So while I wouldn't live exclusively on the of skin animals their protein and fatty acid profile tend to make how we use all the other parts (muscle meat) all the better.

As to rinds and cracklins. If I recall the rinds are skin only while cracklins include some of the underlying tissue...which is mostly fat, but some meat as well.

Here is a cracklin recipe I keep meaning to try, but haven't gotten around to yet Lip Smackin Cracklins